Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help chosing a good cam

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2003, 01:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help chosing a good cam

ok i have a 02 TA WS6, my mods are lid, filter, ported TB, QTP merge headers, dual cutout y-pipe, mcleod single disc clutch, and suspension stuff. i want to get a cam first before i get stage 1 or 2 heads, but if its possible it can still be used with the Stage 1,2 heads ill be getting. i dont want to spend money for 2 cam if the first cam doest go with the heads....by the way im not worried about emissions.....if i left anything out let me know....thanks
Old 06-08-2003, 12:51 AM
TECH Resident

Default Re: Help chosing a good cam

theres the TR224, MTI's C1, C2, X1, and comp cams has a few also... all the sponsors have decent cams, read around on what everyone is using...
Old 06-08-2003, 11:30 PM
Teching In

TTT
Old 06-10-2003, 08:22 PM
Teching In

TTT anyone????
Old 06-10-2003, 09:32 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude, what else would ya like to know?
Someday's list is a great place to start.

Check out the range of cams between an MTI C1 (222/222) through a TR230. That seems to be the target group to start off with.

Check out MTI, Thunder, and SpeedInc's list of cams and their descriptions.

Do you want an inexpensive, stock sounding cam that will net you decent gains? Look at an '02 ZO6 cam. Do you want a great bargain package of cam and springs? Check out the much bashed Hotcam Kit at SDPC, or the mad crazy ASA cam.

If you're getting heads done, look into a larger cam. Start at the TR230 and work your way up.

Do you want to not have to change out springs often? Then look into lower lift cams like the Hotcam and the ASA. The ASA may require tuning.

There are so many variables. It took me about 3 months of research before settling on an MTI C1.

Good Luck! And I hope my instructions were not too basic or novice. Maybe you're looking for more of a detailed dissertation and knew all this stuff already.
Old 06-10-2003, 10:48 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only thing I can think of that you left out is what kind of driveability you can live with. There's a big difference in the tolerance level for a big cam's maners from one person to the next. The bigger you go the more power but you also get a rougher the idle, a faster idle, worse fuel economy, more lope and more surging. At some point you get something that's a total pain to drive to work everyday . . . for me that was a 270 degree cam . . .