Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weeklong report on the G5X2 cam... my thoughts...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2003, 04:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weeklong report on the G5X2 cam... my thoughts...

Well, been a week with the cam, and all I can say is DAMN. I went from the LS6 crate engine to this... used to be the car wouldnt come alive until about 4000 rpm or so then started to scream... and everyone told me a cam this big would kill my bottom end... well YOU ARE ALL WRONG! This cam is INSANE down low! I can now dip in at around 1800 or so and rip the tires apart! The cam only has basic tuning on it and hasnt been dialed in yet, but next saturday its gonna get dialed in for the crap 91 octane we have down here so it should put some nice numbers down! Drivability has gotten much better than the first day I got it, A/C runs ice cold at stop lights with not even a stumble, only time it has a little trouble is warm starts and cold starts, gotta feather it a bit for about 15 seconds till it finds its idle.
Up top the cam really never stops pulling, I shift around 6500 (I think, looks like my tach is way off) and it makes power all the way through with a SOLID shift into the next gear, where as the old engine just kinda made a little chirp. Hopefully with it dialed in it will get me in the 11s, but no telling with the 114 degree heat we have here now, teamed up with the 91 octane! Results in a week though! Then 200 shot results in about 45 days when the Direct port gets plumbed!
Old 06-07-2003, 07:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Default Re: Weeklong report on the G5X2 cam... my thoughts...

grts on the cam, sounds like a monster, I can't wait to see the dyno results.
Old 06-08-2003, 09:09 PM
jfm
10 Second Club

Please keep us posted.I will be installing this cam in 2 weeks or so,sounds like you like the new POWER.
Old 06-09-2003, 07:11 PM
TECH Resident

The new power is great... I didnt expect that kind of torque down low at all! Unfortunatly it has to go back in for new valveseals and the 3rd gear I just had fixed 4 days ago is out again... but soon as its straight I will have a dyno!