Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yella Terra and preload question

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2003 | 05:21 PM
On The Tree

Default Yella Terra and preload question

Everyone, I've got a set of TEA 5.3L Stage II heads (these are milled .010 or so), TR 224 cam and am using the 7.4" Comp p-rods. I'm following the install directions JmX has posted at http://www.ls1howto.com and have run into a bit of a snag on the lifter preload....

I'm using cylinder #2 as my 'reference' cylinder, as it's on the same side of the engine as I am when I'm turning it over, and it's very easy to watch while I rotate the crank pulley. I've got both valves closed and the piston for that cylinder is on the compression stroke. Now, I've got all the rockers removed and have the YT's installed on Cyl #2.

Not using the shims, I tighten the rocker bolts by hand until I can't tighten them anymore. I then check for 0-lash w/ the p-rods, and the p-rods are tight and will barely spin. Ok, so I get out the torque wrench, and start counting the .25 turns it takes to get me to 22lb-ft. I've done it 3 times (for consistency) and it takes barely over 1 .25 turn (90*) to get to 22 lb/ft.

I guess my question is this... is this too little preload? From what I understand less preload is better than more, but I don't want to compromise my lifters/other motor parts by not having enough preload....

Should I have more than 1 .25 turn?

Is anyone else running this setup? if so, did you use the shims?

Thanks!!
Old 06-08-2003 | 06:23 PM
jmX
TECH Junkie

Default Re: Yella Terra and preload question

A 1/4 turn is fine, thats what I run on my C5 and its been great.
Old 06-08-2003 | 07:19 PM
On The Tree

Default Re: Yella Terra and preload question

Most excellent, thanks!!