Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

God Help me!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 05:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default God Help me!

OK so i installed new ls6 2.5 heads and a v3 cam today new ls7 lifter and 7.4 pushrods. We'll it went like **** my buddy that was helping me forgot to put a damn lifer in after the heads where back on so where had to take the passanger side head off and put the lifter in and redo that . But here is the big problem it was warming up and getting to the 250 range on temp so shut it off and let it cool back down. I wasnt to concerned because the same thing happen the last time i changed cams it must of had air in the system because it took awhile for the coolant to start to circulate threw the car. Anyway it was still over heating and i shut it off the start it back up . Well after awhile antifreeze started coming outta of the back somewhere on the passenger side. It wwas coming out pretty good to . I am so mad i cant see straight . I just walked away for the night and was trying to think of everything that might have happen . Maybe the headbolt or gasket there was no antifreeze in the oil nor coming outta the tail pipe and its wasnt pushing back threw the radiator? Also i never thought to look but do those heads come with temp sensor hole in both sides ? maybe it does and i need to plug the other side

Man any help would be great . Honestly? Also what is the damn torque spec on the heads 22 and a 90% turn sound so gay is there just a # ? Email me or call or just reply i am sitting here crying lol 217 778 3517 or jamesbtri@yahoo.com
Old 10-14-2007, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

http://ls1howto.com/index.php?article=3 there it tells u the torque and the order you got to put the bolts in
Old 10-14-2007, 09:23 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrp1978
OK so i installed new ls6 2.5 heads and a v3 cam today new ls7 lifter and 7.4 pushrods. We'll it went like **** my buddy that was helping me forgot to put a damn lifer in after the heads where back on so where had to take the passanger side head off and put the lifter in and redo that . But here is the big problem it was warming up and getting to the 250 range on temp so shut it off and let it cool back down. I wasnt to concerned because the same thing happen the last time i changed cams it must of had air in the system because it took awhile for the coolant to start to circulate threw the car. Anyway it was still over heating and i shut it off the start it back up . Well after awhile antifreeze started coming outta of the back somewhere on the passenger side. It wwas coming out pretty good to . I am so mad i cant see straight . I just walked away for the night and was trying to think of everything that might have happen . Maybe the headbolt or gasket there was no antifreeze in the oil nor coming outta the tail pipe and its wasnt pushing back threw the radiator? Also i never thought to look but do those heads come with temp sensor hole in both sides ? maybe it does and i need to plug the other side

Man any help would be great . Honestly? Also what is the damn torque spec on the heads 22 and a 90% turn sound so gay is there just a # ? Email me or call or just reply i am sitting here crying lol 217 778 3517 or jamesbtri@yahoo.com
Yes, there is a temp sensor hole on both heads. If thats not plugged, you may wanna get on that.

Also, I noticed that you took the head off and then retorqued. You're not supposed to reuse the GM headbolts. They are a Torque-To-Yield, meaning use once and throw away.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:53 AM
TECH Regular

ahhaha , my dumbass did that the first time i did heads on my camaro. There is a coolant temp plug you need to put on. Its going to be a PITA but take your time relax and it will be ok. Also check the coolant bypass in the back of the intake, the coolant pipe the crosses to both heads LS1 or the plugs LS6. have done that to on my first head job. Just relax and take your time.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:04 AM
TECH Junkie

the torque sequence has everything in % and degree's of turns because you're torque the bolt beyond what its supposed to be torqued to.

check the plug in the passenger side head, its in the back. the heads i got from TSP came with the plug in it already, so yours might have too...

if the plug is there, did you bolt the coolant crossover pipe under the intake down? i didnt do that and i had the same problem as you. Car overheats, and coolant was leaking from the back of the motor somehow. Turned out to be something simple like that for me...and im leaning towards this for you as well...

good luck.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:04 AM
TECH Junkie

oh, and i only forgot the back bolts on the coolant crossover pipe, so looking at it from the front (you can see the front bolts easily) it looked ok. but the only way to tell is to take off the intake...
Old 10-14-2007, 03:13 PM
TECH Resident

Does anyone know the size of this plug?
Old 10-14-2007, 03:21 PM
TECH Regular

where are you old heads???
Old 10-14-2007, 03:32 PM
TECH Resident

Default next to me

sitting right next to me?
Old 10-14-2007, 03:41 PM
TECH Regular

ok take the plug off your old heads. you will see where you ECT went into the drivers side head, Well if you look at the pass you will see it as well just in the back of the head. Also check you coolant cross over pipe or the coolant plugs on the back of the head, did you trnasfer them to the new head?? if not are you sure they are on there and on tight??
Old 10-14-2007, 05:32 PM
TECH Junkie

the plug that goes in the passenger side head is the same size as the coolant temp sensor in the driver head (theyre the exact same). I dont think thats the leak though. You said you started it and ran it for a while and shut it down a few times bc it was over heating and then you saw it start leaking. If the plug wasn't in the passenger head, it wouldve leaked right away.

Im pretty sure its the coolant crossover pipe that isnt tightened down in the passenger rear. Only because the EXACT same thing happened to me. Hell, I even drove the car to the store, and on the way home I had to shut it down because it got too hot, and then it started leaking from the back of the motor somewhere. I pulled the intake off, and sure enough...i forgot to put the bolt in.... lesson learned.

my advice, pull the intake off and check that first. it will take 30 mins