keep pcv and put a catch can?
68.06%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

keep pcv or delete it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 05:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The idea behind the PCV system is to recycle any unburned fumes....and to draw a little fresh air thru the crankcase to evacuate the acids & byproducts of combustion. Supposed to help keep the oil cleaner longer too. That is the purpose of the vent line that hooks up before the throttle body...to draw filtered air into the crankcase.

In our cars it also seems to be a way to lubricate the intake manifold & combustion chambers.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:29 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Without a metered vacum source pulling the vaoprs out & filtered fresh air through the crankcase most of the harmful vapors recondense in the crankcase after the motor cools contaminating the oil & leaving corrosive residue on the internal parts. On a street car you MUST pull filtered fresh air from metered vacum source through the crankcase.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:22 AM
Staging Lane

I have breathers in my boosted 5.3 never an issue.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:26 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TLewis4095
Without a metered vacum source pulling the vaoprs out & filtered fresh air through the crankcase most of the harmful vapors recondense in the crankcase after the motor cools contaminating the oil & leaving corrosive residue on the internal parts. On a street car you MUST pull filtered fresh air from metered vacum source through the crankcase.
where are the harmfull vapors when the engines running? No chance of them contaminating the oil then? Its all going to get mixed regardless, theres no avoiding it. All your bearings are not exposed and I dont see it eating your camshaft away. Its never happened to me anyway. I think its just paranoia.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

after talking with tracy from rev extreme, im a big time believer in a GOOD pcv setup, check out some of the stuff they have built and raced with and then tell him he doesent know what hes talking about. thanks for your help tracy, maybe someday there will be an end to the never ending discussion on pcv setups
Old 02-27-2008, 08:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Boosted1320
where are the harmfull vapors when the engines running? No chance of them contaminating the oil then? Its all going to get mixed regardless, theres no avoiding it. All your bearings are not exposed and I dont see it eating your camshaft away. Its never happened to me anyway. I think its just paranoia.
When the engine is running at temp the gasses & vapors are suspended & have "flashed" off. All you need to do is tear down a motor after some extended time w/out proper PCV system & you will see the damage, but I think you should probably leave yours as is....I'm sure you will be happy with the long term results.

Some good reading:http://www.whowon.com/Results.asp?Tr...StoryID=200304

I'm also a graduate of the Reher Morrision Pro Stock engine building school & have been building street & race engines for over 35 years.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This is set up that I have been using for over 45,000 miles and it seems to be working fine..Did a head swap last spring (about 20,000 mils ago) and it looked good inside. I use the LS6 PCV and LS6 valley cover with a breather in the oil fill hole on the valve cover and GMPP valve covers with no emissions connections on them.

Last edited by slt200mph; 02-28-2008 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Default PCV system

The PCV system is a MUST have item. the engine is an air pump right? well theres just as much air moving around under the pistons and gasses that get by the rings - (AKA blow-by) has to be vented out some how, from what ive been reading the stock PCV systems do need to be updated to the ls6 style when you have the intake off. my .02C
You have to believe in something!I believe I'll have another Beer
Old 02-28-2008, 06:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slt200mph
I run the LS6 valley cover and LS6 PCV system with a breather in the oil fill hole on the pass side valve cover. The valve covers are from GMPP and have no holes or fitting on them. I welded a baffle under the oil fill hole to keep the oil from the rocker arms from throwing a lot of oil up into the breather..I clean the breather once a month with brake clean and compressed air. I have been running this combination of parts for about 40,000 miles now with no problems.
[/IMG]
You really shouldent clean a filter with compressed air, as it could blow a hole in the filter element.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SpaZMaN
You really shouldent clean a filter with compressed air, as it could blow a hole in the filter element.
Thank you for your concern sir but I have it under control...I squirt the breather with brake clean till all the run off is clear ... The tube on the bottom of the filter can be held tightly and the compressed air spins the breather and the brake clean is slung out of the breather .. there have been no holes in the element ... I replace the breather once a year..as a matter of fact I just got a new one with the bowtie logo on top of it... all is well under the hood of my car..
Old 03-06-2008, 10:01 PM
Banned

This is the one I like the best.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Randy WS6
I use down pipes off each valve covers ,that goes under the car.

That relieves the crankcase pressure, but does nothing to evac the harmful & corrosive vapors that condense back into the crankcase....and the hoses if not filtered hanging down at speed one will have a stronger vac from the venturie effect than the other & pull unfiltered dirt, dust, moisture & who knows what directly into the engine.

Quick Reply: keep pcv or delete it?