Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01 Trans Am Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 02:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 01 Trans Am Questions

I am new to this site, so I hope I am asking this in the right section.

I have just purchased an LS1 from an 01 Trans Am. I will be picking it up this Saturday. The motor is going into a 62 Chevy II.

From what I read on this site, all the 01 LS1's came with the LS6 manifold. Is that correct?

I am also wondering how the engine should be picked up with a cherry picker. I don't want to remove the manifold and am hoping that it can be picked by using the front and rear surfaces of the heads. I have an engine leveler that has 4 chains that should be able to reach each corner. I am assuming there are bolt holes in the head that would allow me to do this. If so does anyone know what size bolts I would need. They are metric correct?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

01+02 LS1s came with LS6 intakes

If you can, an easier way to get the motor out is to lower the k member, unbolt it, and pick the nose of the car up with the cherry picker (I'm guessing the motor is from a wrecked T/A) and the k member and engine/trans combo can be wheeled out
Old 10-19-2007, 12:24 AM
TECH Resident

Yep everybolt on the motor is metric, if your pulling the motor out of a wrecked car and you dont mind busting it up to get it out pull it from the top. If your pulling the motor out of an f-body and dont want to ruin the car I would say just drop everythin out from the bottom.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:55 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the replies, but I guess I was unclear about picking up the engine with a cherry picker.

The motor is already out of the car. It is on a shipping pallet. I was wondering what the best way of removing it from the pallet would be, and how would you recommend picking it up to installing it into the car?