Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help, spun cam bearings, or spun main bearings

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 10:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default help, spun cam bearings, or spun main bearings

Just finished up a little while ago with KBs motor swap. Had a little trouble getting oil pressure, but after it was fired up, instant pressure, 40+

now the question, it knocked a little, (no tapping, or clacking, just a hint of hitting an extension on the side) and went away after the second 15 min cycle. I started it up, ran it for 5 minutes, and held it at 1,000. Waited 10 or so something minutes, 4 radio songs later. Cranked it again, and a whining sound started. It would only come on at low RPMs. Once it was off idle, it went away.

Now on the third start, it's pretty obvious, and doesn't go away until 2K or so. It sounds like a roots style blower, . . .noticeable or loud at idle, and gets more faint as you rev it.

KB and I both could not remember if we tightened the cam plate, but we're sure that he did the cam bolts right. Any ideas? We took a vid.

Full ARP bottom end, stock bottom end block with 14K something miles on it.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Last edited by Tootall; 10-19-2007 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds ALOT like your starter isn't disengaging. Not only that but like it continues to power the motor, not just the solenoid sticking.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Horsepwraddict
sounds ALOT like your starter isn't disengaging. Not only that but like it continues to power the motor, not just the solenoid sticking.
thanks, . . . didn't think about that. But I put a rod on the top of the front cover, and it's more loud at that point
Old 10-19-2007, 01:56 PM
KB
13 Second Truck Club

I've never heard anything like it personally. When I had spun my rod bearing my Mustang it sounded like a bunch of rocks tumbling around in the block...so this is definitely new to me. What causes the starter to not disengage?
Old 10-19-2007, 02:22 PM
TECH Regular

There is a one way clutch on the end of the starter shaft (called the "Bendix") that allows the starter gear to disengage from the flywheel. The bendix also prevents the flywheel from overreving the starter motor. A bad bendix will hang and prevent the starter gear from disengaging. A bad bendix can also only partially disengage and leave the starter gear rubbing the flywheel.