Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best budget heads

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 02:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Best budget heads

Wanna hear something even more encouraging about TEA heads? Their prices just dropped.

Check this post for more info: TEA Price Drop

It's reasons like this why it's hard to beat TEA. They saw a new sponsor come on with a good product at a cheaper price, so they found a way to make their product cheaper also. Now that's what I call catering to the customers.
Old 06-11-2003, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok I would love for you to purchase another set of heads then compare your setup with a MTI H/C car... and watch you on your results
I think the statement you just made is total crap. You honestly believe that somehow a MTI H/C car can destroy any other H/C setup just because it's MTI? Come on dude. What about the Cartek cars which many of run 10's consistently with just a H/C bolt on setup? I have a set of Jay's (Absolute Speed) Stage II LS6 heads on my car (that cost less than MTI's regular Stage II LS1 heads AND flow better than their own LS6 heads BTW) and my car dyno's just as high as the MTI cars do for the mods I have..... and I'm not even in Texas where all the cars dyno higher! I haven't taken it to the track yet, but the car pulls like a raped ape and I would have no issue going head to head against a all MTI H/C car.

This is not to bash MTI at all BTW, I think they're AWESOME, but there are other vendors and shops out there that are awesome too.
Old 06-11-2003, 04:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Ok I would love for you to purchase another set of heads then compare your setup with a MTI H/C car... and watch you on your results
I think the statement you just made is total crap. You honestly believe that somehow a MTI H/C car can destroy any other H/C setup just because it's MTI? Come on dude. What about the Cartek cars which many of run 10's consistently with just a H/C bolt on setup? I have a set of Jay's (Absolute Speed) Stage II LS6 heads on my car (that cost less than MTI's regular Stage II LS1 heads AND flow better than their own LS6 heads BTW) and my car dyno's just as high as the MTI cars do for the mods I have..... and I'm not even in Texas where all the cars dyno higher! I haven't taken it to the track yet, but the car pulls like a raped ape and I would have no issue going head to head against a all MTI H/C car.

This is not to bash MTI at all BTW, I think they're AWESOME, but there are other vendors and shops out there that are awesome too.
Old 06-11-2003, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

You're the one that said he'd be dissappointed with another set of heads other than MTI's.... I just happen to disagree is all. :p
Old 06-11-2003, 08:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i bought r.g.r st2 heads from speed inc. $1,500.00 + core, with a mti 222/222 112cam,most all the boltons and 12bolt i made 424.1 hp & 407.8 tq.
Old 06-11-2003, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wanna hear something even more encouraging about TEA heads? Their prices just dropped.

Check this post for more info: TEA Price Drop

It's reasons like this why it's hard to beat TEA. They saw a new sponsor come on with a good product at a cheaper price, so they found a way to make their product cheaper also. Now that's what I call catering to the customers.
Thats GREAT news when sponsors drop prices to compete with others!
Old 06-12-2003, 06:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just think that the OUTRAGEOUS prices on LS1 parts are on the decline for a few reasons.
1. R&D is not as big of a deal anymore. People are beginning to figure out what works and what doesn't and concentrate on what does.
2. Supply and demand. In the bginning there were very few places to go to get high quality parts. This has changed as well. MTI may still be "the premier" company, but you WILL pay for the name. There are products that are quite competetive that are considerably cheaper- hence this thread.
3. The drop in the economy. People are watching what they spend and are becoming more conservative with their purchases. Guys don;t just run out and drop 10K on a motor with MTI, "cuz they heard that they're the best"

I salute companies like TEA, Absolute Speed (Patriot has definetely piqued my interest in their venture) and others that have a high quality product that you don't have to bring a jar of Vaseline with you to pick it up. They are the ones that are promoting our sport and hobby by making it affordable and more accesible. MTI may continue to be the highest quality, but surely they are starting to feel this. The days of paying almost $3K for a set of Stage II heads are over. They made their money, now it's the average guys day to enjoy performance without having to pull out a second mortgage.

MTI- you keep taking care of the high class folk, and we the little people will go to companies like TEA and Absolute. We'll see how long those heads stay at $2800. (hell they are already down to $2400)

I want value and performance- bottom line. Not a name.
Thank you to all that responded. I'll probably be going with the Absolute Stage II LS6 head, but I will be watching to see the developments on the Patriot head, others listed in this thread, and of course to see how much further the MTI heads will drop as tie passes (I'll look for the FIRE sale as times get rougher).
Old 06-12-2003, 04:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

TTT
Old 06-12-2003, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MTI is building my new engine for me. I think they are in fact done. I havent called yet today ;-)

Here's how MTI can save you money:

You spend 1000 on a set of LS6 castings to send to any porter (I decided it was worth it), and then I sent them to a company on this board that alot of folks like, but is not MTI.

7 (yes SEVEN) times the heads had to be removed for one reason or another relating to valves seizing, springs breaking through into ports, and many other head-related things. I was unable to drive the car, and after moving to Portland from Texas, had to have the car shipped at $1300. I spent lets say 2000 on the porting job. If I had spent 800 more (since MTI was 2800 then), I dont think any of this crap would have happened. If you count payment interest, shipping the heads back and forth, and time spent, I probably spent 5-6000 on the heads without counting the 1300 in transporting an undrivable car.

Do I think TEA or other sponsors of this board that offer cheaper headporting will f&*( up your car like mine was? Not necessarily. But knowing what I know now, what do I do now? I have MTI do everything. In my opinion, Im getting far more peace of mind than I pay extra for.

If I did a heads/cam setup again... I'd either go with MTI or Thunder Racing no matter what the prices are. I hope I'll have a chance to do this in about a year on a Caddy CTS-V

just one opinion...

chris
Old 06-12-2003, 07:47 PM
LEO
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to point out when comparing heads from different vendors that not all "stage 2" heads are alike. MTI uses 2.055/1.60 Ferrea valves and dual springs and they have craftsmen that put about 35-40 hours into a pair of cylinder heads. Notice I used the word craftsmen, this is because the heads look more like art and they remain amazingly consistent.
Some vendors use cheaper components, single springs, smaller valves, and CNC porting then label that their stage 2 cylinder head. Those type of heads require less machine work and labor to produce so they can sell at a lower price. MTI sells a hand ported, 2.02/1.56 Ferrea valved, dual valve spring cylinder head for $1,995, which is more comparable to most vendors stage 2 heads.
Old 06-12-2003, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd like to point out when comparing heads from different vendors that not all "stage 2" heads are alike. MTI uses 2.055/1.60 Ferrea valves and dual springs and they have craftsmen that put about 35-40 hours into a pair of cylinder heads. Notice I used the word craftsmen, this is because the heads look more like art and they remain amazingly consistent.
Some vendors use cheaper components, single springs, smaller valves, and CNC porting then label that their stage 2 cylinder head. Those type of heads require less machine work and labor to produce so they can sell at a lower price. MTI sells a hand ported, 2.02/1.56 Ferrea valved, dual valve spring cylinder head for $1,995, which is more comparable to most vendors stage 2 heads.

Which brings me back to a previous post in this thread:

Do you really think that MTI Stage II Ls1 heads will outperform TEA Stage II LS6 head? The TEA's are under 2k while the MTI's are $2800. Is it worth the money for the MTI heads. I don;t know- I've never owned either nor have I seen similar cars with each head compared side by side. But from what I've read, I can't see how the MTI would be the better deal. If they truly are adn can outperform all others, then I will cough up the extra coin to spring for them and do it with a smile. But it will take more than "they are MTI's heads, so they have to be the best".
Granted MTI has set major milestones for the LS1, and they deserve recognition. But is it necessary to pay the price for this?

Like the title of this thread, I want to buy a GOOD set of heads. They don;t have to be the BEST, just equivalent to what I paid for them. Hence value. If I was to pay $800 less for a set of TEA heads and my car was 2/10th's slower because of it, I would not be upset. I'm not the Colonel, Judson Massengil, or SW. I don;t NEED the best head out ther (read: spare no expense, as with these guys listed)

My point is this- MTI may make the BEST heads out there, but are they the best VALUE? I doubt it, and will continue until I am roven wrong.
And as far as quality and workmanship goes there are many quality shops that take care of their people and have what it takes to produce a good product with out raping their customers.

I used to work at Air Products PVOH plant. This plant produced the highest quality polyvinyl alcohol in the world- bar none. They made money hand over fist with this specialty product for years. UNTIL, the Koreans got wise, did a litle research and began producing a much lower grade PVOH at a much lower cost. You see 95% of the customers that Air Products had did not NEED that high of a quality product. The Koreans figured this out and manufactured their product for less than 1/3 of AP. The facility went from feast to famine overnight. We had warehouses full of product, and no place to ship it. They began cut backs and scheduled shutdowns to let the plant mothball until they could find customers. Eventually, they sold to Hoechst Celanese who had customers and a process that could be profitable.

You can only sell what people what you want them to have for so long, until someone steps in and makes a product that better suits the market.

MTI may be the best and if I "need" the best, then I will purchase it, but for my purpose and most other people, it doesn't appear that they are what's best.

I would like to have ET's and dyno #'s of comparable cars and see how much you pay for the extra HP.
Old 06-12-2003, 11:53 PM
LEO
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well Bodhi I'm pretty sure you will be happy with your combo.
Old 06-13-2003, 10:13 AM
TECH Junkie

I have a question for you Bodhi. If you know that MTI produces Kick *** heads, why would you go with another set of Heads. Why not do it right the first time???
Old 06-13-2003, 10:26 AM
TECH Junkie

I cant wait to see a patriot heads car dyno, If they dyno good head prices I imagine will drop significantly.
Old 06-17-2003, 02:55 AM
Launching!

lemme get this straight:

mti heads for ~ $2800
tea heads for ~ $1800

that is roughly $1000 dollars. granted, the MTI heads may flow more cfm and produce 10-15(?) more horsepower, but is 10-15 more hp worth $1000? not to me, and not to most people who dont have boo koos of money to buy something just to tell all your buddies you got a$$ raped from "MTI" simply to have "MTI" heads.

i know many of yall are company loyal, and there is other reasons for purchases (service, location, etc) but guys like Strini SS must walk around his house all day with a hard on holding his new "MTI" catalog in hand.
to say that other companies heads arent as good (in perspective) as others based soley on brand recognition is simply ridiculous.
my advice is do research on the heads individually and see what will work best with your setup and if it is worth springing for the extra $1k. it may be, im not knocking mti, rather saying examine the options and see what is best for you, not for Strini SS.