Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Subjective Performance Difference Between Heads

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 05:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Subjective Performance Difference Between Heads

Fellas, I have a set of PP LS6 heads that I need to install. I've had these heads for a couple years but haven't installed them yet. I need a little motivation I guess. What would help is if you could give me your impressions of the differences between stock heads and aftermarket heads like my Patriot LS6s. I know I'll pick up some hp, but will the engine sound and feel different? What effect will the lower compression ratio have on how the engine feels and sounds? Will it shake more at idle? Aside from the hp gain, will the engine feel and sound more badass? Will the car be more fun to drive? Thanks.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:07 AM
TECH Addict

Just want to add that I've never experienced aftermarket heads, and I'm wondering in what ways the car (engine) will feel different aside from the extra hp. This is not a techy question. Essentially will the engine feel and sound exactly the same but with added hp? Or are there other benefits like more shaking at idle, a different sound, etc. Thanks.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:06 AM
TECH Addict

C'mon, none of you guys have installed heads and made observations about how the car feels after? This is probably the easiest question to answer for someone who has installed heads. I know you guys like to talk tech, but couldn't you take a little time to give me some feedback? Sheesh.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Predator
I've had these heads for a couple years but haven't installed them yet.
Get those bad boys on there then!

I know I'll pick up some hp, but will the engine sound and feel different?
Not different like a cam or headers. Just more power.

What effect will the lower compression ratio have on how the engine feels and sounds?
Will you have lower compression? Or higher compression? Lower compression will not be good for power.

Will the car be more fun to drive?
Only if you like having more hp...

If you're going to do heads, I'd do a cam at the same time.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:13 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks John, I already did the cam, TR224/224 112 LSA. Just more power then, okay. Higher compression I meant, going from stock LS1 heads to ported and Polished 243s. Patriot's in the sig. I thought changing compression ratio would make the engine "behave" a little differently. Anyway, thanks again.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:36 PM
TECH Addict

Sorry fellas, I didn't realize this was a closed forum, like a clique. What a concept for a website, sort of defeats the purpose. Over and out.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ask a specific question Predator and I bet you will get an answer. Your question was too much like "How does a milkshake taste different than a malted milk?" Most of us answer questions because there is something that interests us as opposed to a charity answer. Good luck.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:49 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry fellas, I didn't realize this was a closed forum, like a clique. What a concept for a website, sort of defeats the purpose. Over and out.
WTF are you talking about?
You posted on 10/25 at 3 and by 8:06 you were venting frustration. There are plenty of threads about those heads. You could help yourself by searching a little.

243's arent aftermarket heads. All you said was I have some PP ls6 heads that have been layng around for a couple of years. How is anyone supposed to give you an informed opinion from that? Then my guess is the thread got burried.

PP 243's and that cam will give you nice results.

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 10-31-2007 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:13 PM
On The Tree

I have Patriot LS6 stage 2 heads on mine with a TSP 224/224 114LSA cam and so far I like them. I didn't notice any loud sewing machine sounds. If you have these heads, go for it. The car idles at around 900-950, there is no shaking. I removed the resonators that came with my LTs and replaced them with cats to cut down on the exhaust smell and quieten the sound. I don't like loud exhausts - less attention from cops and neighbors. Even after that the car screams loud past 4k rpms (I like this part :-). There was a definite change from the stock. The car is a fast scary driving machine at WOT. Find a good tuner afterwards to fine tune the idle, cold starts etc.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

You are running 1.8 rockers with TR224, gutsy.What springs are you using?

You'll have to retune after the heads and they should net you ~25rwhp. Yeah you'll feel the difference.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:56 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

port the heads, change cam profile and you will be alot happier with the overall results. what are your goals?
Old 10-31-2007, 05:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

When I installed my Darts, car pulled harder and power was felt. Other than that, drove the same. Oh, and higher compression bumped up my mileage, then I took it away with a set of gears