Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got cam installed...

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 01:32 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got cam installed...

Well ok, along with the mods in my sig, I just recently had a cam install done over at Speed Inc. I have had them do work on my car before with great results. I got their custom grind 231 237 112lsa cam installed, along with an ls6 intake, UD pulley, new pushrods, springs, oil pump, timing chain, and a dnyo tune.

-I have never driven a car with an aftermarket cam before-

I live in Illinois, and the temperature here is in the high 50's. Driving the car around today i noticed a few things i thought were very strange

1) Normally, when stopped, or when i let off the gas and let the car coast, the car will idle right at about 900 rpms. However, sometimes, when i let off the gas, it will idle anywhere between 1200 and even 1700 rmp's and hold there. When i let off the gas, the car doesnt slow down sense the rpm's are so high. Then, when i come to a complete stop, sometimes after about 10 seconds it slowly drops. Its one or the other, never consistant.

2) The car actually died on me once too. I was driving at about 25mph, and coasted up to a stop sign, the engine kinda surged a few times like it does once i let off the gas, only this time the rpm's dropped a lot and the engine died.

Are these normal characteristics of having a cam swap? Or should i take it back to Speed Inc for some tweaking? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Just looking for some suggestions considering Speed Inc is closed for the weekend
Old 11-04-2007, 01:35 AM
Staging Lane

sounds like you need a tune
Old 11-04-2007, 01:40 AM
TECH Resident

I would take it back. Probably just needs some tweaking on the tune. Speed Inc. are some good guys to deal with.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:47 AM
Launching!

Yea thats kinda what i figured. They did do a full dyno tune, put down about 380hp, which I am very happy about. But yea, just seems a little off. Gona give Larry a call on monday.

And yea your right, the guys at Speed Inc are great guys to deal with. I'm going to give Larry a call monday and talk with him about it. I always trust the work they do. Never had a significant problem yet.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:49 AM
TECH Resident

I want to have a cam swap and some other stuff done. So keep me posted.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:53 AM
Launching!

Yea I will definately update this after I talk to Larry/bring my car back there. But so far i think they did a really good job. Cut me a lot of deals on labor for random stuff, they know how to treat their customers. And thats cutting me deals when i have only done business with them once before.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:01 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by suburbanlife866
Yea I will definately update this after I talk to Larry/bring my car back there. But so far i think they did a really good job. Cut me a lot of deals on labor for random stuff, they know how to treat their customers. And thats cutting me deals when i have only done business with them once before.
Thats cool of them. Update on what happens.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:11 AM
9 Second Club

I will say this. The tuning is key to taking care of this. Jim is a excellent tuner and probally didnt get to spend enuff time with the car. Ive run into the same problems with customers needing there car back asap and the tunes dont get fully done. Most of the time the AFR and the WOT can be taken care of on the dyno but the drivability part takes some time to do. I would just give them a little more time with it Normally we like to have the car at least 2 days to tune. And still it might need a couple of more tweaks in order to get it.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:22 AM
Launching!

Time is np. I didnt rush them at all to get the car back. Just saying that some more tuning is definately in order thats all. Car runs, and everything seems mechanically sound, just needs a little tweaking like I said.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:29 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with the others its the tune. A smart man explained to me the inner workings of a ODBII tune.

ANY tuner out there can get the car ball parked, where it runs really wall and has reasonibly good driving characteristic given the cam isnt too wild. But here is the kicker...
It has to be driven, the computer needs to relearn, then it wants to adjust everything.

From there take it back and have the lower rpm maps re adjusted for driveabiility.

I also have seen the rpms hang a bit, its happed on my STOCK tuned car once, but more frequent on a friend's cammed car (also tuned)
Old 11-04-2007, 01:05 PM
Launching!

yea you make an excelent point about the car re-learning things and what not. Because the car performed perfectly (RPM's not hanging at all) during the 30 minute drive home/cruising around, after getting the car from the shop. Now that i have taken the car out more and more over the past few days, the car does this "RPM hanging" about 50% of the time, while acting like it did right after leaving the shop, the other 50% of the time.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just got my car retuned from straightline and i have not had any issues like yours after a cam tune. The only issues I get are the cam surges but I can live with it! Mike got me 406 ponies with only a HOTCAM 218/227 int/exh @ 0.05" duration
0.525" / 0.525" int/exh lift
112 LSA
Don't know much about their mechanics or tuners, the only person I ever deal with is Frazier for parts and he has been awesome with me.
Goodluck!! and let us know how it goes.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:54 PM
Launching!

Yea I will definately keep everyone posted. Mine surges sometimes too, but idk...call me crazy but i kinda like it. Just the hanging RPM's that need to get taken care of. Soon enough...
Old 11-09-2007, 09:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How's the car? any good news?
Old 11-09-2007, 10:17 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by litle8
I just got my car retuned from straightline and i have not had any issues like yours after a cam tune. The only issues I get are the cam surges but I can live with it! Mike got me 406 ponies with only a HOTCAM 218/227 int/exh @ 0.05" duration
0.525" / 0.525" int/exh lift
112 LSA
Don't know much about their mechanics or tuners, the only person I ever deal with is Frazier for parts and he has been awesome with me.
Goodluck!! and let us know how it goes.
I don't think anyone asked you about your car. And a a baby cam like that really shouldn't surge at all at any RPM, you might want to see if you can get that tuned out. You post those numbers in every thread you post in. Just put them in your sig and be done with it. Did you get a discount for all the you do?
Old 11-09-2007, 10:19 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea thats kinda what i figured. They did do a full dyno tune, put down about 380hp, which I am very happy about. But yea, just seems a little off. Gona give Larry a call on monday.

And yea your right, the guys at Speed Inc are great guys to deal with. I'm going to give Larry a call monday and talk with him about it. I always trust the work they do. Never had a significant problem yet.
What stall do you have in it? Were those numbers unlocked?
Old 11-10-2007, 06:50 AM
TECH Addict

Hotcams don't make any power. Cars in general have a way of making an *** out of whoever just worked on it. I'm a service advisor and can attest to that. That should be an easy fix for them. Could also be a vacuum leak or IAC issue.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:58 AM
Jedi Master

I bought HPTuners and will be trying to fix all of this on my own. Just like the others have said, the car ran great after the tune but now the computer is making the car funny and it's becoming a pain in the *** to drive.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

Well ok, along with the mods in my sig, I just recently had a cam install done over at Speed Inc. I have had them do work on my car before with great results. I got their custom grind 231 237 112lsa cam installed, along with an ls6 intake, UD pulley, new pushrods, springs, oil pump, timing chain, and a dnyo tune.

-I have never driven a car with an aftermarket cam before-

I live in Illinois, and the temperature here is in the high 50's. Driving the car around today i noticed a few things i thought were very strange

1) Normally, when stopped, or when i let off the gas and let the car coast, the car will idle right at about 900 rpms. However, sometimes, when i let off the gas, it will idle anywhere between 1200 and even 1700 rmp's and hold there. When i let off the gas, the car doesnt slow down sense the rpm's are so high. Then, when i come to a complete stop, sometimes after about 10 seconds it slowly drops. Its one or the other, never consistant.

2) The car actually died on me once too. I was driving at about 25mph, and coasted up to a stop sign, the engine kinda surged a few times like it does once i let off the gas, only this time the rpm's dropped a lot and the engine died.

Are these normal characteristics of having a cam swap? Or should i take it back to Speed Inc for some tweaking? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Just looking for some suggestions considering Speed Inc is closed for the weekend
Sounds like the desired idle airflow, throttle follower, and throttle cracker need some tweaking in the pcm.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a dyno tune is great for peak numbers and WOT, but the computer is usually responsible for adjusting to regular driving.

Idling/cruising rpm is what you need to work on. For my low rpm running (2200rpm or less), we had to back off the timing on my idle rpm range to lessen the surges there since technically that's outside the range of the cam's powerband for my cam. I was also recommended to get some higher ratio gears to lessen the load on the engine at those low rpm's which coincidently would really help me keep in the power band for the 1/4 mile as well.