Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lots of fun issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 04:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lots of fun issues

got a 98 z-28. 122000 miles on her and she got problems. had the car stock all the way till about 110,000 miles. Decided to got with the slp cold air induction, mac mids ceramic, ory, and slp lm2. About a month ago the car is starting to run sluggish and a friend told me to use some kind of degunk stuff for the motor. He also states that you have to be careful cause you could stall and lock the motor up with this stuff. is it a good idea to degunk and if so what should i use.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what is the name of the "degunk stuff" usually you will have a lot of lifter noise if your engine is sludged up. this "stuff" will not be effective for build up around the valves.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

You mean an engine flush?

I've seen it work wonders on old-*** four cylinders, but I wouldn't do it to my car.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

degunk would be something like risolone. it is used when people do not change their oil. this causes a lot of sludge to build up in the valve train. risolone is and additive that will clean it up.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i say dont touch none of those degunk whatever solutions and just keep it simple. Considering ur car has that many miles, i would check fuel pump, fuel filter, get it scanned while driving it hard for knock retard (ur knock sensors might be retarding ur timing for whatever reason), sometimes if ur motor mounts/tranny mount or anything is loose, ur exhaust will flex and hit the bottom of ur car without u noticing and the computer will think its the engine causing that noise. For example my car had 75,000 miles on it and the fuel filter was so srcrewed that when i took it out i couldnt blow through it with all my might. It would feel real sluggish at higher rpms and would sometimes not want to accelerate very well. Just some things to look at before you put crazy things into a motor thats probably very clean. Good luck on the search for the problems
Old 11-04-2007, 07:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mullenh
degunk would be something like risolone. it is used when people do not change their oil. this causes a lot of sludge to build up in the valve train. risolone is and additive that will clean it up.

Yeah, it's like where you run it in the engine oil for xx minutes, then drain it out and refill with new clean oil, right?
Old 11-04-2007, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hehe some people need to do it for a week.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:10 PM
Teching In

exactly what it is actually and my buddies 99 z-28 runs a hella lot better since he did it. you put it in the oil before an oil change and you run it for like 10-15 min and the car smokes like crazy and then you drain and refill the oil. its nuts how much more response and gain that car has now. I mean as for the fuel side. The fuel filter was changed about 2000 miles ago. The spark plugs and wires were done with the headers and stuff so who knows, time ot get dirty again i guess. I dont know 122000 miles, the pump could be going out but i guess a fuel psi check is in order.