Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still have ticking noise after new lifters.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 11:20 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

O-ring failure after opening up engine is not uncommon. Make sure you have the correct color ring for your pick up tube they are not all the same size. I use red almost always, its a pita to get it in there on the smaller tubes but worth the piece of mind. Lifters can collapse too if your valvetrain isnt set up properly. Did you have the engine built or do it yourself? A lot of problems wind up being installation or preparation errors. Rocker arm failure also happens, its good to inspect the swipe tip under the rocker arm before using them again as they can wear a ridge in there and do damage if not replaced, especially with a bigger cam etc
Old 08-27-2018, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cam
O-ring failure after opening up engine is not uncommon. Make sure you have the correct color ring for your pick up tube they are not all the same size. I use red almost always, its a pita to get it in there on the smaller tubes but worth the piece of mind. Lifters can collapse too if your valvetrain isnt set up properly. Did you have the engine built or do it yourself? A lot of problems wind up being installation or preparation errors. Rocker arm failure also happens, its good to inspect the swipe tip under the rocker arm before using them again as they can wear a ridge in there and do damage if not replaced, especially with a bigger cam etc
built it with 25 year gm tech knows these motors very well car has run awesome the last 3 months then all of the sudden this happen
Old 08-27-2018, 11:44 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Pull a valve cover and inspect. Wiggle the rocker by pushing down on the pushrod to see if any lifters are loosened up. Do a visual on the springs, roll the pushrods on a mirror or very flat surface to see if wobble, look for damage to valve seals. Your oil pressure is good yes? check for nothing loose etc
Old 10-03-2018, 07:16 AM
Teching In

Are you guys getting a new OEM seal to replace the torn one? I saw there were 2 different ones (differing colors maybe). Anyone have a part number to what we need?

I'm having the same issue. Sounds exactly like everyone's complaint. Very much like an exhaust leak sound. I bought the car heavily modified and he had a tick ls6 ported pump on there so maybe he damaged it during the install or something.

@cam

Last edited by turdnugget; 10-05-2018 at 06:03 AM.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:41 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

I use the red o-ring for all of them. I also use the IR bracket to use the second bolt on the oil pump to secure the pick up tube extra firmly. The red o-ring will fit with some lube and careful poking as you install, be careful not to tear it. In an f-body application they conform to almost square shape once run its a very tight fit.. Solid oil pressure always. This is the bracket

http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-pu...amp-p-642.html
Old 10-05-2018, 06:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cam
I use the red o-ring for all of them. I also use the IR bracket to use the second bolt on the oil pump to secure the pick up tube extra firmly. The red o-ring will fit with some lube and careful poking as you install, be careful not to tear it. In an f-body application they conform to almost square shape once run its a very tight fit.. Solid oil pressure always. This is the bracket

http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-pu...amp-p-642.html
Is it an OEM gasket that you're getting? Like what vehicle do I look it up?
Old 10-05-2018, 06:48 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

LSx red oil pump o-ring Fel_Pro part number FEL-72401
Old 10-05-2018, 07:02 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cam
LSx red oil pump o-ring Fel_Pro part number FEL-72401
Lol, I just got my first glimpse at the PU tube. What a horrid design. I will probably just make or fab up something to secure it kind of like your bracket idea. It definitely looks like a good idea. Hell, from google images you can see it barely appears to sit flush.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:55 PM
Staging Lane

So i just found this thread VIA google. I have a 2005 GTO that i put a set of ls3 heads on with ls9 head gaskets. I replaced the push rods and lifters as well as swapping to the ls3 rocker set up. I drove the car a while with no real issue then it sat for 3 months waiting on a tune. When i got the tune and got it in the car and started driving it the driver side has a lifter tick. I called up and complained to texas speed about it and they sent me a new gasket and a new set of lifters for the driver side. I replaced the lifters and the gasket to no avail. I have since sent it to a shop who changed out the pushrods for a shorter pushrod and got the noise to go away for all of a day before it returned. They want to pull the heads back off and replace the lifters/ get a look and im not completely sure what i should do at this point.
Old 04-11-2020, 11:35 PM

[Qwhat kind rear end problems was you having???

UOTE=niphilli;568996]I'm sure you will be fine man. Just keep the eyes and ears open on the dyno .

Nothing but Havoline 5-W30 since day 1 for me. If you are going to bump the limiter a little Tom, goahead and use 10-w30 better safe than sorry. I am headed to mikes next week or the week after to get my speedo fixed and a code pulled (AIR Tube header code), finally got the rear end squared away today . Try and give me a ring sometime this weekend man![/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: Still have ticking noise after new lifters.....