Sponsored by:

LS1 Guru's Please help

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 10:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 Guru's Please help

My 2000 SS hit 200K miles today.

At about 170k, it started making some noises. One of the noises sounds to me like a ticking lifter. The other is hard to describe, but it's a scratching/grinding sound coming from the internal motor.

Sometimes the noises completely go away. Sometimes it's only one or the other.

Until last week, power and efficiency was seemingly unaffected. Ran completely normal except the noises.

Last week, while driving slowly in 2nd, the noises suddenly became louder then ever before and the motor started cutting out. I pulled over and popped the hood to see what I could. It had burnt off about a quart of oil, but nothing seemed out of place. So I started it, and within seconds the noises disappeared and the motor began running perfectly once again.

Ran fine until today. Today it did the same thing once again, but it severly lost power and would barely gain speed up the hill I was on. A couple minutes later, it smoothed out, regained power and the noises stopped. Shortly thereafter, it went through the same cycle once again. I'd get a video, but it has stopped for the time being.

It has, thus far, shown no engine codes, reluctancy to start, low oil pressure, unusual engine temps, or anything else out of the ordinary. Last oil change (at 197,000), I switched from Mobil 1 10w30 to German Castrol.

I'm thinking that I need a new motor, but if that's the case, I'm screwed because I don't have the money or time for it now. I was hoping this motor would last until January when I could just get a GMPP Crate LS3, but I'm losing faith in it lasting that long.

Could this be a computer/timing problem? I have no idea what this is. Please help me out, if I can make any quick fixes, it would save my *** at the moment.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm not totally sure... but my lifter plunger just started to crap out, and it only did it seemingly randomly, but I think it started once the car was run hard or warmed up real well... It would run like crap and start shaking and shuddering... if I let it sit and cool down for a while (and this happened very seldomly) then i would start it back up and it was fine... go figure... so if you think you might have a lifter problem then that very well could be what's causing some of this... but that's just one thought, i could be way off...
Old 11-07-2007, 11:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input. I've been suspecting a lifter as well, until it got really bad. Doesn't seem like a lifter could cause such a tremendous drop in power, and all the shuddering and cutting out. I could be completely wrong, though. I'm definitely no expert.