Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

confused on engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default confused on engine noise

Here's the situation. For a couple a weeks, i've noticed a sort of developing exhaust leak on the passenger side. Recently I changed the driver's side header gasket from paper to GM metal gasket(s). Being sorta on the lazy side I left the passenger side gasket (paper) until i can get around to completing the gasket swap. Well I bolted on my freshly P&P throttle body(courtesy of smokin87TA) and went for a graceful ride (okay i got on it abit!). Upon doing so I noticed a loud distinctive sort of rasp or ticking coming from the motor. It sounds like an old truck w/ a bad exhaust leak when driving, no noticeable power loss. My question is could the header gasket be totally blown? How safe is it to run the car? Some boardmembers say it could also be a bent pushrod(s). I hope not. What are your opinions to my situation?

Last edited by LS1ne; 11-09-2007 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:47 PM
11 Second Club

If you've got a new gasket, throw it on there and see if that helps. Have you had a mechanical over rev lately? Bent pushrods aren't normally "developing". The sound usually comes on pretty quickly...
Old 11-09-2007, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

Well the loud noise started right after running the car pretty hard. Don't recall an overrevving but I guess I'll have to try the gasket replacement first. I sounds pretty scary though. Scary enough not to want to drive it..