Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Updated head and cam project gone wrong!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whats the valve drop on a stock head just for reference??
Old 11-17-2007, 04:06 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chriswtx
whats the valve drop on a stock head just for reference??
I would have to check with Jason to be sure, but I believe it's .166" and .187".

Trevor
Texas Speed & Performance
Old 11-17-2007, 04:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jrp1978
But on the second go around yes ! I made sure everything was dead on ***** as did the other # guys standing there looking at it!
Post number 16. Notice the title? --->No lined up dot to dot first install
Old 11-17-2007, 05:41 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There's always more to the story. Sounds like TSP did the right thing and tried to help as best as they could.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I see where this can go. TSP cannot be at fault for the clearance issues because they were not the ones to do the install. If they did the install and it hit then im sure they would cover all the costs. When installing these parts yourself you take on the responsibilty of all labor cost. Deciding to take it to someone else is not their fault. If I was looking at a huge bill like that I would have taken it to TSP if possible. And I think the biggest mistake is having your wife call TSP. Dont ever let your woman do anything relating to a car.....its never a good idea. You always have to check for yourself. With my business I never go off of what some other mechanic or what someone else said.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:56 PM
TECH Resident

Default My god

I didnt start this to point a d**n finger . You all have to be kidding me? Incompatant install f*** you . I done it before no problem . I had no control over what the old lady told you . I didnt even know she was calling . Its funny how the finger is pointed at me . I did it right the first time a maybe because of something that went wrong its my fault ? Tell me why it was only # 4 ext hitting ? Is it possible that the cam is f****d up . I am not gonna smear anyone on here , but i never talk to you once there trevor . If you think your gonna walk in here because you work at texas speed and tell me i did wrong when you dont even know me you are pissing up the wrong tree.
Fact I was told i didnt have to worry about it .

Fact When i put it together it was right .

Dont give me this s**t that you are better and i dont know what i am talking about . Where the f*** do you even get off.

Last edited by PREDATOR-Z; 11-19-2007 at 11:05 AM. Reason: language
Old 11-17-2007, 06:03 PM
TECH Resident

I had the car torn down by a pro to prove to Jason it wasnt the ******* cam. I even had the cam measured to make sure it was right they told me that . the intake was 644 and ext was 609 and if was suppose to be 598 . I called a comp cam rep who said word for word there is no way you are gonna have enough clearance .
Wow this doesnt suprise me. My old lady had no idea what the hell was going on she gave me the boot the next day after i told her i wasnt calling jason and jumping his ***.
God what ever
Old 11-17-2007, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I didnt start this to point a d**n finger . You all have to be kidding me? Incompatant install f*** you . I done it before no problem . I had no control over what the old lady told you . I didnt even know she was calling . Its funny how the finger is pointed at me . I did it right the first time a maybe because of something that went wrong its my fault ? Tell me why it was only # 4 ext hitting ? Is it possible that the cam is fucked up . I am not gonna smear anyone on here , but i never talk to you once there trevor . If you think your gonna walk in here because you work at texas speed and tell me i did wrong when you dont even know me you are pissing up the wrong tree.

Dont give me this s*** that you are better and i dont know what i am talking about . Where the f*** do you even get off.

FYI, Jason is out of town on business. I'm sure Trevor talked with Jason about this before he responded to this post. Looks to me that you are way to defensive for someone who performed a great install. Since you are such a pro, how did you check the P/V clearance. Please don't tell me that you used clay,because the pro's use another method. Oh, it wasn't checked . If the cam was ground using the wrong lobes , it would have been found if you would have checked the clearance.

Fact, always verify for yourself that everything is correct.

Fact, whoever performed the install is at fault.

Last edited by PREDATOR-Z; 11-19-2007 at 11:06 AM. Reason: language
Old 11-17-2007, 06:22 PM
11 Second Club

Is it possible maybe a lifter might be f***** up? There is only .011 difference, in what the cam is suppose to be. And TSP said they sunk the valves .020 more than they allready were. So if that is the case, than you should still be with in clearance for a cam that is at .609.

just my .02

Last edited by PREDATOR-Z; 11-19-2007 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:29 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

didnt start this to point a d**n finger . You all have to be kidding me? Incompatant install f*** you . I done it before no problem . I had no control over what the old lady told you . I didnt even know she was calling . Its funny how the finger is pointed at me . I did it right the first time a maybe because of something that went wrong its my fault ? Tell me why it was only # 4 ext hitting ? Is it possible that the cam is fucked up . I am not gonna smear anyone on here , but i never talk to you once there trevor . If you think your gonna walk in here because you work at texas speed and tell me i did wrong when you dont even know me you are pissing up the wrong tree.

Dont give me this s*** that you are better and i dont know what i am talking about . Where the f*** do you even get off..
I don't just work at Texas Speed, I'm a co-owner. I'm not pissing up the wrong tree; I'm stating facts. I don't think you're following what I'm saying. I'm telling you that the heads were within .005" of factory valve drop, and you're telling me that there's a clearance problem. We verified the cylinder heads, and there is nothing wrong. This isn't magic. Your heads were within .005" of factory valve drop, so you're saying that our cam won't clear with stock heads. If that was the case, we'd have hundreds of posts of p-to-v clearance issues but we don't. I'm sorry that my post is not what you want to hear, but it's just facts. Also, please feel free to post up the name of the Comp Cams rep you spoke with. I would like to speak with them as well.

Thanks for the tactful post.

Trevor

Last edited by PREDATOR-Z; 11-19-2007 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Language
Old 11-17-2007, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the car torn down by a pro to prove to Jason it wasnt the f*****g cam. I even had the cam measured to make sure it was right they told me that . the intake was 644 and ext was 609 and if was suppose to be 598 . I called a comp cam rep who said word for word there is no way you are gonna have enough clearance .
Wow this doesnt suprise me. My old lady had no idea what the hell was going on she gave me the boot the next day after i told her i wasnt calling jason and jumping his ***.
God what ever

Who is the comp rep that you talked with? So you used a pro to tear down the car, is this the same pro that replaced the .040 thick head gaskets with .045 gaskets and started the car again to see if this would fix your P/V problem?

This como has been sold & installed numerous times. There is no issue with any of the products from TSP.

Last edited by PREDATOR-Z; 11-19-2007 at 11:00 AM. Reason: language
Old 11-17-2007, 06:45 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It would be very interesting to know what actualy went wrong here. TSP sells this combo all the time and has great success with it. I am very confident there was nothing wrong with the heads, or on TSP's part. I just dont understand how something so easy can go so wrong.

IT would be nice to know so others can make sure they dont make the same mistake. I've had 2 sets of heads of TSP and never had an issue at all with them. TSP does treat their customers very well, I dont think I've ever paid full price for all my parts when I order from them. They also have a nice t-shirt..lol
Old 11-17-2007, 07:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like someone missed a shift and wants TSP to cover the bill.....
Old 11-18-2007, 07:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

I called a comp cam rep who said word for word there is no way you are gonna have enough clearance
Comp makes excellent valvetrain products, but their support line is crap for anything other than installing an "RV" cam into a smogger 70s 350 SBC.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:04 AM
TECH Resident

Default You know

My whole point to this tread was to say that no one could figure it out? Not to bash or throw blame. I mean know one seem to have and answer of what went wrong . I have check every square inch of this car as did John at pdr.
I will get ahold of the machine shop to ask who the comp cam rep was. It was one of his buddys that works for comp.
You guys are killing me here. You it not even the money anymore. This whole stupid thing has cost me alot car money my old lady.
I dont even care about this stupid car its just gonna have to set a guess. I want my old lady back and for none of this to happen.
That cool its all my fault long story short it always is. Trevor i never said **** was wrong with anything . The fact is i dont know we check every last thing on this car and can find nothing out.
Its fine! I sitting here looking at this screen and not even having the energy to think about it . Its amazing what a woman can do to ya.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:31 AM
TECH Resident

I hate stepping into disputes here but ya'all need to take a breath. Jrp you've had some really bad luck with everything. But first thing's first, you've got so much money into this thing and had such a hard time with it you've got a dispute with your wife. I love my car but it sure isn't worth that kinda heartache. I'm just suggesting here but you should wrap up this project, you've got all the specs on your heads and cam, just put them aside, reinstall your stock stuff and drive to the flower shop then on home to work things out. Either sell the heads and cam to try and balance out your cost or box them up for later when you have the proper time to take the car apart and properly check everything after you've read up more on checking P+V Clearances. not saying anyone is at fault here or that you don't know what's going on, but it should stop where it's at so you can save your marriage.

oh and just curious, what rocker ratio are you running? stock 1.7:1 or did you get the aftermarket 1.8:1?

Last edited by camaroguy26; 11-18-2007 at 09:36 AM.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:39 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I am sorry that you've had such problems. I don't wish it on anyone. I responded like I did because your original post basically stated that the package does not clear and we should help pay your labor bill. I cannot have false information floating around on the internet. Give it a day, and people will be talking about how a 220 cam doesn't clear with our heads. The package is built to clear just fine, and we built your cylinder heads specifically for your camshaft. We do this with any of the larger cammed setups. When the purchase order is written for a customer's set of heads, we list the camshaft they are purchasing or currently running. This way we know that the setup will be built to work together.

I hope everything works out well between you and your wife.

Trevor
Old 11-18-2007, 10:22 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Trevor @ Texas Speed & Perf.
II cannot have false information floating around on the internet. Give it a day, and people will be talking about how a 220 cam doesn't clear with our heads.
Hey, hey, hey ! ....lets not get too crazy here...I know your heads work with a 220 cam...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...20#post7506346
Old 11-18-2007, 10:47 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by equandt
Hey, hey, hey ! ....lets not get too crazy here...I know your heads work with a 220 cam...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...20#post7506346
LOL! Apparently you have enough room to mill the heads, too, with that cam.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:12 AM
TECH Resident

I just never thought this would cause what it caused