Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

g5x2 and streetability

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 05:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: g5x2 and streetability

Streetability is not the same as street legality...

Anyhow, you will have trouble passing a sniffer with any cam over 220 @ .050 on a 112, IMO... the overlap means that idle vacuum will be (relatively) low, which in turn means that (compared to a cam with a wider lobe sep) you car will spew all manners of nastiness at idle, according to the sniffer.

As for emissions tunes, I'm not really sure what that means... when the vehicle is warmed up (in closed loop), the computer is attempting to achieve stoich anyhow, regardless of the WOT tune. Most PCM tunes actually lean out the mixture at high throttle anyhow (factory WOT A/F is @ 12:1, tuners usually shoot for @ 13:1). Pulling timing would hurt emissions as well...
Just thought i'd add, Pulling Timing Would help out tremedously in the HC's levels of the car , It Just depends how Much Duration in the Cam that you have

Later Steve-0

P.S-Btw Im a State Inspector For Texas.Done Over 3,000+Inspection
Old 06-20-2003, 05:28 PM
Teching In

Well emissions is 2 years away, so i guess ill worry about it then. I'm wondering what the biggest reverse split i can run is. i was thinking the x1. Would this work well with 5.3l heads?
Old 06-21-2003, 06:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

bigSS, you say you drive it everyday. what kind of gas mileage do you get? also whats your idle speed?
Old 06-21-2003, 09:40 AM
Launching!

OSoSlow,
Jay at Absolute Speed can build you a set of 5.3L heads to match the G5X2 Cam perfectly. He has been working with Lou directly on exactly what the G5X2 likes and requires for top HP/TQ. Their heads have high velocity ports with awsome flow #'s. Jay is building a set of Stage-2 5.3L heads for me as we speak. Give him a call, but don't talk too long because he is supposed to be working on mine!

As far a streetability goes, I have talked to a few guys that have it and they love it especailly after tuning. They haven't had any problems with idle or surging even with the AC on. Great power band too.
Old 06-21-2003, 02:43 PM
Teching In

i guess ill just get the g5 and have to worry about it when smog time comes or something. Anyone have any reccomendations of cams that will pass that could put me at about 430 rwhp with this heads and the mods i already listed. I know this is annoying as hell, but help a newibe out.
Old 06-21-2003, 06:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

My cam is 230/230 XE-R on 112.

I ran dual 3 inch carsound cats, in my MAC Ypipe. (Mac headers)

Chopped timing from idle to 3000rpm and raised idle to 1150rpm. (I could have gone as high as 1250rpm)

That was it Passed with flying colors (both idle and 40kmh)

cheers
Chris
Old 06-21-2003, 09:13 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Chris you stinker.. You pulled all the stops on that one.. My car would not pass emissions unless I do the same. When I mess with the idle screw and bring the idle up to 1200rpm the car idles pretty smooth.. Now my cam is bigger than yours and I would need cats to even come close to passing emissions.. Luckily I live in Florida and we have no emissions testing anymore..
Old 06-21-2003, 09:45 PM
TECH Regular

I know someone will ignore all visual for me to pass smog, but it has to pass the sniffer but he could care less on how I do it. So what im wondering is, do you think there would be a chance of passing if I had a custom H-pipe made with 3 cats per side? For use only when emissions time comes around of course. I have a buddy who owns a muffler shop so that isnt a problem either.

BTW, All this with the G5X-2 cam and cali emissions.
dude, if you have the hookups,
have him run a civic,
and just enter your info

BAM! with flying colors!
I think in cali when they hookup the OBD II scanner, it reads all your info and sends everything directly to the DMV. VIN and everything. So I think thats outta the question. But even if it wasnt, I dont think I would ask him to do that. He's already hooking me up fat with the no visual, so I dont wanna push my luck.

Quick Reply: g5x2 and streetability