Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFR / LS6 Heads ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007 | 08:17 PM
Flow Wizard

Originally Posted by Firehawk441
Thank you for ALL that information just because you feel this man did an inadequate job on his car compared to yourself. Sorry you're not happy with his results.
Actually if I had the opportunity to speak with the owner I would do my best to help him figure out why he made what he did and help him find more.

The main purpose of my post was to highlight how weak yours was and let people know that just buying a few of the same components in a particular package doesn't guarantee the same results as the whole package or even close....an issue that comes up time and time again.

Why have you been so argumentative and generally negatively biased this entire thread??
Old 11-28-2007 | 08:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Exactly. Joe Sherman stated on another board that he has sold the exact same components he uses to build a motor to people and they will come up 40 to 50hp short of what he gets. Proper assembly of the componets is a big part of getting all the horsepower you can. Tony alluded to degreeing the cam as part of it.
Old 11-28-2007 | 11:37 PM
Staging Lane

So to narrow it down, whats the best head for everyday use that just wants to get as close to the ten second margin as possible. Afr's or ls6
Old 11-29-2007 | 06:53 AM
Staging Lane

Tony,

I just ordered a set of 205s. You probably have a request there to mill a set to 64cc from SDPC. Anyway, how much am I leaving on the table at 64cc vs 62cc? I am going to install a 228/232 cam similar to LGs G5X1 cam on a 112 LSA with 2 degrees advance and a .045 gasket.
Old 11-29-2007 | 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Do Work Son!
So to narrow it down, whats the best head for everyday use that just wants to get as close to the ten second margin as possible. Afr's or ls6
Any head that matches the rest of the components you select. If you reread some of what has been posted, one part does not 'make or break' the whole deal. It is the combination of parts, the sum of the whole, that delivers good results everytime. There is no magic head, or magic cam that puts down the big numbers all by itself, and certainly not if you just take it out of the box and install it without any forethought.

Many of the board sponsors, including Tony @ AFR, offer a good quality product. What you do with it once it arrives is entirely up to you. "X" head with "Y" cam and "Z" headers may work well for me, but perform dismal for you. The difference is in the details, like degreeing the cam, checking the valve clearance, milling the heads to get the compression correct, fabbing a custom Y or duals behind the headers - all the stuff that people forget when they say "I can do that myself, I'm not paying $$$$ for you to do that".

Another twist in the "speed costs money, how fast do you want to go" and "cheap, fast, reliable - pick only two" vein.

and please don't take my reply to your post personal. I'm responding to you as well as the masses who have all posted similar questions to yours in the past.
Old 11-29-2007 | 02:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Firehawk441
Thank you for ALL that information just because you feel this man did an inadequate job on his car compared to yourself. Sorry you're not happy with his results.
The results you witnessed are far from the norm. I’m not sure what your agenda is.

I have the AFR 205’s and 224/228 581-588 114+1 cam.

The rest of the setup is unremarkable. Stock TB, stock LS6 intake, old TPIS headers, cats, MN6, 410 gears.

I put down 440 RWHP and 417 RWTQ on a Mustang dyno. It runs 124 mph in the ¼ mile pedaling and granny shifting.

I have no association with AFR and have never even spoken to Tony.
Old 11-29-2007 | 03:08 PM
Teching In

Ive got my ls6 heads ported and they out flow the afr 225 by alot ,and i paid about 500 dollar cheaper
Old 11-29-2007 | 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MGorman
The results you witnessed are far from the norm. I’m not sure what your agenda is.

The rest of the setup is unremarkable. Stock TB, stock LS6 intake, old TPIS headers, cats, MN6, 410 gears.

I put down 440 RWHP and 417 RWTQ on a Mustang dyno. It runs 124 mph in the ¼ mile pedaling and granny shifting.

I have no association with AFR and have never even spoken to Tony.
wow looks like our set up will be close other than the LSA
Old 11-29-2007 | 06:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlackBullittSs
Ive got my ls6 heads ported and they out flow the afr 225 by alot ,and i paid about 500 dollar cheaper
hey glad you are happy with them, er I\we guess you are happy with them. You did not exactly say so.
Old 11-30-2007 | 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackBullittSs
Congrats! Any dyno numbers, or better yet, track times to support the numbers? How about any independant flow numbers to back up the head porters claimed numbers?

If you haven't already, you should review the Interesting Flow Data thread, as should anyone who finds themselves in the market for cylinder heads. Big numbers on a flow bench can mean big money for a product, and there are enough people out there that you'll find some whose claims are bogus. It is hard to establish a level playing field and get a true apples to apples comparison.

Once you see who produced the results in that thread, you might question the manner in which they were derived, and how accurately they portray the products tested. You should note that no names were intentionally given by the presenter, and the all numbers (some better, many worse) are displayed for all to see. You may see the trend that develops leaves a little doubt as to whether or not you always get what you pay for.
Old 11-30-2007 | 01:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MGorman

Holy crap

Quick Reply: AFR / LS6 Heads ?