Warning- buyers of Ported LS6 oil pump from Texas Speed

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 10:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Warning- buyers of Ported LS6 oil pump from Texas Speed

Joseph-
Everyone makes a mistake at work now and then-
This one was easly corrected, and the proper assembly of the in-stock pumps has been assured.

Ditto that... Props to Joseph for coming on here and explaining the mistake. All the gang at Texas speed are great guys!
Old 06-23-2003, 11:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Can someone expain the comment that the engine would be trashed if you started it with the pump gears installed backwards?

I would have thought that only the pump gears might tear up... ...granted this is not good but not a total loss????

When you install the pump you have to rotate the gears to get them to align with the crank ...would upside down gears result in not being able to turn the gears in the pump?

Why did the new pump owner take the new pump apart; was this just to check the gears? Why?

Glad you found this out early!
Old 06-23-2003, 03:09 PM
Teching In

On the internal gears of the LSx style oil pump, there is a slight bevil on the outside edge of the outer gear. If this is insalled upside down, the pressure of the face plate of the oil pump housing would make it impossible for the gears to turn. Upon starting an engine with a pump with flipped gears, the gears would shred and metal shavings would be sucked into the oiling system, destroying bearings, ect.

I did not notice that the gears were stuck until I installed the pump because they happened to be in an orintation that made it possible to just slide the pump on without rotating the gears. After noticing that the gears would not turn, I took apart the pump and discovered the mistake.
Old 06-23-2003, 03:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

they aren't flat gears. they are like rear end gears and have an angle to them. if it was upside down then the gears would not mesh at all causing the pump not to move. therefore no oil would be going threw the motor causing the engine to seize up. he took the pump apart most likely because he installed it and then tried to turn the crank by hand and it wouldn't budge. when something doesn't work and it did before you normally check the part you just put in to make sure. he took it apart and wha-la...it wasn't put together correctly. hope that helped.
Old 06-23-2003, 03:17 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I appreciate you bringing this to our attention. Joseph is an excellent guy and certainly made a mistake. Every oil pump is going to be double-checked and stamped once it has been checked so we know that it's ready to ship out. As stated, nobody is perfect, and it's how a shop takes care of mistakes that make the difference. We are always here to help after the sale, and we strive to take care of our customers to the best of our ability. If I remember correctly, you were having problems with the spacing on the timing cover with the new Rollmaster. We had Joseph speak to you about this, and the problem was solved. A gasket makes a world of difference.

We always encourage our customers to contact us via phone or e-mail with any problems. We don't always have time to cruise the message boards as much as we'd like to. TSP is growing by leaps and bounds right now, so we are in the process of expanding our sales team. We have two additional sales lines now that we are in the new shop, so that will help in getting through to us!

We certainly apologize for the mishap and take 100% responsibility. We've setup added checks and balances to prevent this problem in the future, and we will send a 5% off coupon to you for what happened. Just e-mail me at trevor@texas-speed.com to verify your address, and that will go out this week.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks!

Trevor
Texas Speed & Performance, Ltd.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:15 PM
Teching In

Trevor-

Thank you for your offer. However, I feel that you sold be good products, and therefore, I deserve no discount on any future order. I am quite satisfied with the pump, but I felt it was necissary to warn others about this mistake to prevent a possibly disastorous situation between Thunder Racing and other costimers of Thunder. (I chose the flaming face because it attracts the most attention.) I would like to reiderate- I am quite satisfied with the products I recieved from Texas Speed. Furthermore, Roger informed me that infact he was able to get ahold of you. Thank you for your help with the timing chain. I hope there are no hard feelings.

-Tyler
Old 06-23-2003, 08:42 PM
Teching In

Glad this worked out for everyone involved!
Old 06-23-2003, 09:22 PM
TECH Veteran

dang trevor!!! Im ticked cause im still waiting for your the backordered lids so can I get a 5% off coupon or something also to ease my pain HAHAHA

I still think ya'll have the best service ive seen out there!

Quick Reply: Warning- buyers of Ported LS6 oil pump from Texas Speed