Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head bolts or studs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 01:44 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head bolts or studs?

Trying to make up my mind between purchasing head bolts or studs for my head swap. After much reading I see that the GM bolts aren't that great since they're torque-to-yield, so with that being said, ARP makes some good bolts/studs. Which would be easier to use and work with? Thanks.
Old 06-23-2003, 02:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Default Re: Head bolts or studs?

studs.....go with the 12 point nut (not the hex) as they are stronger.
Old 06-23-2003, 03:08 AM
jmX
TECH Junkie

If you aren't going to be making more than 450rwhp and dont plan on pulling the heads off a lot, just get the el cheapo GM bolts. They are just fine for 90% of the people on here.

If you'll be spraying and putting out lots of power, then maybe the extra $$$ for studs or even just ARP bolts would be worth it....might save you money in the longrun. Remember though, you'd have to pull the heads off at least 4-5 times before you'd break even in the money savings from the reusable stuff.
Old 06-23-2003, 05:58 PM
FormerVendor

What would be the difference between the ARP head bolts and the ARP head studs, they are 2 different part numbers. I was thinking of going with the ARP head bolts instead of the studs since they are considerably cheaper.
Old 06-23-2003, 06:11 PM
Staging Lane

Well, the studs are basically threaded on both ends of the piece...you thread one end into the block, then put your heads on, and a nut screws onto the other end of the stud. If I understood correctly. I just ordered the bolts, I really don't see a need to get the studs for my application.
Old 06-23-2003, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The studs are beneficial if you are taking the heads on/off all the time. Threads in the aluminum block get kinda tired after 5-6 head swaps (ymmv, my head bolts wouldnt go in by hand after 4-5 head swaps). Studs dont prevent you from getting the heads off in the car. Studs do help in the amount of cleanup you have to do if you take heads off and there are studs in there (dont have to clean out the holes, soak out the coolant, etc.).

Stock head bolts should be used the first 4-5 times you swap your heads unless you are putting crazy boost #s down. Im not even sure that huge juice warrants the 200+$ they cost.

chris
Old 06-23-2003, 06:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

studs.....go with the 12 point nut (not the hex) as they are stronger.
This is false. The only difference is one has 6 point nuts and one has 12 point nuts. Neither is stronger.

The 12 points have 12 different places for the socket to "grab" to get a more accurate TQ on the nut.

This came from Thunder Racing.