Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here's My Winter Mod List....Opinions??

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 11:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Here's My Winter Mod List....Opinions??

Ok guys, I am planning on spending some cash on my Trans Am this winter...but i'd like your advice. I am planning on doing a new stalled transmission, and a head/cam swap. Here is my list of goodies: (parts with a price, I need to buy. Parts without price, I have)

1. FLT level 5 4L60E ($2450)
2. Yank SS3600 Stall
3. B&M Transmission Cooler
4. ETP 215 Assembled Heads ($2400)
5. Yella Terra Rockers ($420) (optional)
6. Trickflow Chromeoly Pushrods ($110)
7. Ported LS6 Oil Pump ($160)
8. Double Roller Timing Chain ($100)
9. LS7 Lifters ($230)
10. ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley ($200) (optional)
11. ARP Head Bolts ($150)
12. 42 LB Injectors ($350)
13. ARP Rod Bolts ($100)
14. Custom Grind Cam ($450)
15. New Valve Covers/Coil Pack Brackets ($200)
16. All Gaskets Needed ($250)

TOTAL (excluding installation): $7570

If I decide to go through with this...I will be installing these things for the first time (gotta learn somewhere right). I would like your opinion as to how hard the job will be for me, and if you think I can do it. I know that the rod bolts may be too difficult for me to do, but I think I can handle the rest. Anyone willing to lend a hand? I pay well

I would also like to note that my car has 96,000 miles on it now. Do you think it is worth putting this kind of money into an almost 10 year old small block? I would hate to put this kind of money into it, and something going wrong right afterwards....Would it be worth my while to just wait and buy a whole new block??

Thanks for your help guys!

James
Old 11-30-2007, 12:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think your fine with your short block but the 402's sure are nice. Its worth looking into if you can afford it. With this being your first time installing all this stuff your going to get mad and curse and then you'll figure it out and you won't have that problem again. But that's just the way it is and the way it always has been the first time around your figuring it out and its frustrating the second go round is never as bad. If nothing else you'll be saving yourself a helluva lot of money. Labor for having you car worked on now is unbeleivable. Good luck.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:05 AM
12 Second Club

Do the work yourself. The pay off is greater, and you know that everything was done right and not just thrown on there. The only thing i take to the shop to get done is my tranny work, OVER MY HEAD, but as far as everything else i would rather figure it out myself and know it was done right as to paying someone else to do it for me. And plus who really wants another man to touch his pride and joy!!!
Old 11-30-2007, 08:10 AM
TECH Junkie

save the money on the rockers...they really aren't needed and won't gain you any noticable power or reliability. plenty of 500hp LSx cars out there running stockers.

i know the ETPs are good heads. but if i was gonna spend that kind of cash on heads, i'd get the TFS 215s. different valve angle allows for higher lift with out the ptv clearance issues.

and they show some serious power potential.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:17 AM
11 Second Club

If I was you, I would do the tranny like mentioned. Then the rear end. Then after that, you should start saving for your Hp mods. Cause you are going to do all this stuff, and like you said you are worried about putting it in a 10 year old car. Well that rear end is your weekist link.

Lane.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:18 AM
Restricted User

Nice setup, don't do the underdrive pulley tho. They can be more trouble than they're worth, you really shouldn't slow your WP down with H/C cars and the slower alt speed may cause problems with your auto.