Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

crank and piston problem help!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 05:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crank and piston problem help!!

Anybody know what i might be doing wrong? As i install the crank and connect the pistons to it, i turn the crank and at about close to a 180 turn it seems that the crank hits something and gets stuck, it seems it would be a piston as it comes down it hits it but im not so sure. Apparently the crank IS the right size and specs (i called the shop i got it at) someone told me there might be a bent rod so Anybody have any other ideas?
Old 12-11-2007, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

check the last piston and make sure the piston skirt is not hitting the reluctor wheel...
Old 12-11-2007, 05:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by chriswtx
check the last piston and make sure the piston skirt is not hitting the reluctor wheel...
from what i can see it seems like it is!
Old 12-11-2007, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, some piston sets have 1 piston with a shorter skirt(or notch) than the rest to clear the reluctor wheel...whats the motor??stroker??what kind of pistons??
Old 12-12-2007, 02:14 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, some piston sets have 1 piston with a shorter skirt(or notch) than the rest to clear the reluctor wheel...whats the motor??stroker??what kind of pistons??
thats the weird thing its all factory, block, pistons but the crank is O.E.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:23 PM

make sure all the pistons are facing the correct way. there is a dot on each one and they have to face the front of the motor
Old 12-12-2007, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blackdrag on
thats the weird thing its all factory, block, pistons but the crank is O.E.
"crank is OE" what do you mean by this?? If its a stock stroke crank with stock pistons and rods, you should not be hitting the reluctor wheel...
Old 12-12-2007, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

"crank is OE" what do you mean by this?? If its a stock stroke crank with stock pistons and rods, you should not be hitting the reluctor wheel...
I think he means it is the stock crank that came in that motor from the factory.

None the less you are correct about it should not be hitting anything.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheLS1Kid
I think he means it is the stock crank that came in that motor from the factory.

None the less you are correct about it should not be hitting anything.
wasn't sure since he said that it was "all factory, block, pistons but the crank is O.E."
Old 12-13-2007, 04:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 98slowt/a
make sure all the pistons are facing the correct way. there is a dot on each one and they have to face the front of the motor
yes the rods have like a curved line and they face the front of the motor, also a guide is that the flat side of the rod faces the front. I guess the only hope is to pull out the pistons again and make sure they're not bent?

the heads were already torqued down, will there be any problem taking them out and bolting them again with the same bolts or am i gonna have to buy new bolts??
Old 12-13-2007, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

wait..wait..so was the motor turning over by hand before you put the heads on??I mean if it was a problem with the crank and pistons you would have noticed before you bolted on the heads while you were assembling the rods and pistons on the crank you have to turn over the crank... Is the cam installed as well??? We need more information. I thought this was a motor you were assembling. You never said you had heads on it already..

and yes you need new head bolts and gaskets if you pull the heads..
Old 12-13-2007, 05:07 PM
Staging Lane

yes your right i guess i left some info out. After we installed the heads
(and yes the cam is in) is when we tried turning the crank and about half way it bumps into something!! before the heads were bolted on, we did not make sure the crank turned all the way but i guess that in order to connect the pistons we had to turn the crank a couple times, and no! we did not notice anything wrong untill the heads were on.

Sorry if im confusing you guys!!

Last edited by blackdrag on; 12-13-2007 at 05:14 PM.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

how bigs the cam???Did you degree it in??maybe hitting a valve..When installing the pistons you are turning the crank over to get the crank journal up to slide the rod on so I think you would have noticed if their was a piston and crank problem...
Old 12-13-2007, 05:17 PM
Staging Lane

how bigs the cam???Did you degree it in??maybe hitting a valve..When installing the pistons you are turning the crank over to get the crank journal up to slide the rod on so I think you would have noticed if their was a piston and crank problem...
Ok well the cam is not that big (232/234 112 lsa). what do you mean degree it??
Old 12-13-2007, 05:19 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah i guess i would of noticed if it was a piston crank problem! so now you saying it may be the heads as in the a valve hitting the piston, if thats the case what im i suppose to do?
Old 12-13-2007, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

stock heads?? whats the lift, who's cam?? Degree in the cam to make sure its installed correctly and ground correctly..Throw a degree wheel on the front of the crank, find top dead center, then check the valve events of the cam...I had a 228/236 .588/.602 lift stock bottom end, TPIS heads with 2.02intake and 1.57 exhaust valves. Cam cam in ground with 4 degreed advanced in it even though I ordered none.. Exhaust valve would hit the piston...LOL or if the cam is off a tooth on the timing gears a valve could also hit a piston that way...
Old 12-13-2007, 05:30 PM
Staging Lane

stock heads?? whats the lift, who's cam?? Degree in the cam to make sure its installed correctly and ground correctly..Throw a degree wheel on the front of the crank, find top dead center, then check the valve events of the cam...I had a 228/236 .588/.602 lift stock bottom end, TPIS heads with 2.02intake and 1.57 exhaust valves. Cam cam in ground with 4 degreed advanced in it even though I ordered none.. Exhaust valve would hit the piston...LOL or if the cam is off a tooth on the timing gears a valve could also hit a piston that way...
(yes stock heads. texas speed torquer v.2 595"/.598") heres the thing the cam is not connected to anything yet, its only in.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

hmmm.. just in..rocker arms bolted down yet?? timming chain on yet??
Old 12-13-2007, 05:41 PM
Staging Lane

the only thing turning is the crank, pistons everything else cam, lifters, heads are just on and not connected cause there is no timing chain on yet.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok, better info... not the cam and probably not the heads...weird..your probably going to have to take it all apart to figure it out make sure the Dot on the tops of the pistons are all facing forward. Check the clearance on the reluctor wheel..check how far all the pistons are coming out of the block at the deck..Its going to be a pain for sure...First you may want to pull the cam and try spinning it over to make sure a rod wasn't hitting a cam lobe..Just work your way backward from the point your out now. Pull the cam see if it spins, pull the heads, see if it spins. pull the last piston thats over the reluctor wheel, see if it spins..ETC...

Last edited by chriswtx; 12-13-2007 at 06:07 PM.