Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can some one tell me why this firebird wont start**vid inside**

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have a scanner or some way to read the rpm output from the computer? If you do then I'd check and make sure you're getting a readout while cranking, if not, see the previous several posts and get a crank sensor.

You did check all the fuses right?
Old 12-16-2007, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Another vote for 58x crank reluctor installed instead of 24x.
(Changing the crank sensor won't fix this).
Old 12-17-2007, 02:42 AM
On The Tree

well this is my car and i just went down to autozone and rented the obdII scanner. it said that my crank sensor is not working thats the only code it threw. im gonna try changing that and see what happens. not getting my hopes up but hopefully that works. if that works i will let u guys no.

thanks for all the help because i ws ready to push the car off a cliff lol
Old 12-17-2007, 08:58 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope a new sensor fixes this, but as previously stated, if you have the wrong reluctor wheel, you are in deeper trouble. Also inspect the wiring very closely. Make sure that the wires are connected to the sensor. They are pretty easy to rip out. Ask me how I know
Old 12-17-2007, 09:31 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
I hope a new sensor fixes this, but as previously stated, if you have the wrong reluctor wheel, you are in deeper trouble. Also inspect the wiring very closely. Make sure that the wires are connected to the sensor. They are pretty easy to rip out. Ask me how I know
well if my motor works fine i dont see why his wouldnt right?
Old 12-17-2007, 09:33 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jed.only
going out on a limb here, but is the crank reluctor the same as the motor that was pulled out? i know there are 24x on early LS2s and 58X on laters. all LS1s need the black sensor and a 24s wheel, IIRC. it may be as simple as a PCM edit or swap.
we dont run ls2 motors these are lq9??
Old 12-17-2007, 09:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by santiago
Thats funny, I hope thats a joke. You don't have a bad crank sensor too do you?
Did you take all your sensors, etc off your engine and put it on his? No you didn't so why would the two engines work the same.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:55 AM

I truly hope you both have the same reluctor wheel! If yall do, then that is great news because that means its just a sensor issue. No telling why his doesn't work and yours did. There could be a million reasons! It is very possible one of the wires got yanked out of the sensor when the engine was being pulled. Thats what happened to me. Yes, my sensor was plugged in also, but mine didn't start. However, I didn't undermind the people who were giving me advise when I asked what could be wrong with mine. I actually took the advise that was given to me and went and checked it out instead of trying to argue with them. I think you all would be way better off doing the same. You are coming across as very arrogant and honestly man, its getting kind of annoying to explain this stuff to you a million times. I recommended the crank position sensor in post#18 four days ago. I've had to explain it several times since. And now that you all FINALLY made it around to checking it out and saw there really was an error there with a scanner you are still trying to argue. I simply don't get it man.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:34 PM
TECH Resident

I truly hope you both have the same reluctor wheel! If yall do, then that is great news because that means its just a sensor issue. No telling why his doesn't work and yours did. There could be a million reasons! It is very possible one of the wires got yanked out of the sensor when the engine was being pulled. Thats what happened to me. Yes, my sensor was plugged in also, but mine didn't start. However, I didn't undermind the people who were giving me advise when I asked what could be wrong with mine. I actually took the advise that was given to me and went and checked it out instead of trying to argue with them. I think you all would be way better off doing the same. You are coming across as very arrogant and honestly man, its getting kind of annoying to explain this stuff to you a million times. I recommended the crank position sensor in post#18 four days ago. I've had to explain it several times since. And now that you all FINALLY made it around to checking it out and saw there really was an error there with a scanner you are still trying to argue. I simply don't get it man.
im not arguing anything. only thing im saying is that his motor should be the same as mine because we had them built at the same time. can you explain how im trying to argue? i never have had this problem because i just read all the codes off of the dic in my car.......i would have scanned it earlier too. this is not my car. im not the one who scanned it. this post is all for a friends car and im the arrogant one for trying to figure out a problem for him.

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
Thats funny, I hope thats a joke. You don't have a bad crank sensor too do you?
Did you take all your sensors, etc off your engine and put it on his? No you didn't so why would the two engines work the same.
all im saying is that they should work the same in terms of craftmanship. i know our sensors are different and all. the funny thing is i bought my crank sensor used cuz i left the old one on my old motor when i sold it...and it works.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:04 PM

No, you are not being arrogant by trying to help a friend out, you are being arrogant in that you refuse to take any advise that is given. you keep coming up with excuses not to check what people have said rather than checking them. Have you guys pulled the timing cover and checked the gears dot to dot? Have you actually inspected the wires going to the crank position sensor? You keep saying everything is the same as your engine- it should have fired right up. Well, obviously- it didn't and you have a problem. We are trying to help you all out. You asked for advise and we are giving it to you, but its kind of annoying when we are ignored when giving advise when it could be beneficial and helpful to you. Thats all I'm saying.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:31 PM
TECH Resident

No, you are not being arrogant by trying to help a friend out, you are being arrogant in that you refuse to take any advise that is given. you keep coming up with excuses not to check what people have said rather than checking them. Have you guys pulled the timing cover and checked the gears dot to dot? Have you actually inspected the wires going to the crank position sensor? You keep saying everything is the same as your engine- it should have fired right up. Well, obviously- it didn't and you have a problem. We are trying to help you all out. You asked for advise and we are giving it to you, but its kind of annoying when we are ignored when giving advise when it could be beneficial and helpful to you. Thats all I'm saying.
no advise is ignored.
we couldnt check it earlier because we cant work on the cars everyday of the week. we have one maybe 2 days to do anything yesterday we actually got to test the crank sensor.

we checked dot to dot back in may wen we got the motors and they were good. i know for sure we didnt damage the wires to the crank sensor because they are all in tact.

anyway wen my friend does get the sensor ill post a vid....if it works lol

thanks

Adam
Old 12-17-2007, 05:38 PM

Good luck man. I really do hope you all get it figured out
Old 12-22-2007, 04:07 PM
TECH Resident

changed out sensor.....didnt work.........to the shop it goes.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:41 AM
On The Tree

car is a piece of ****.....who wants to by it
Old 12-23-2007, 03:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One dolla

Originally Posted by SOM 02
Old 12-23-2007, 08:24 AM
Banned

Maybe the problem.
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...ferrerid=13414
Old 12-23-2007, 09:23 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it is not failed, you may need to do a crank relearn on the computer.
This will never cause a no start. Matter of fact it has to be running to run the test/procedure.

Originally Posted by quick346
I would double check all sensers cam,cranck ect
good luck
Bad cam sensor, or unplugged cam sensor wont cause a no start. It'll be hard to start, but it'll revert to batch fire (cam sensor synchs the sequential injection) and start.

i know for sure we didnt damage the wires to the crank sensor because they are all in tact.
How can you be sure the wires are intact? Wires break inside insulation (you'll never know in less you give em the "stretch test") connector pins back out of connectors, female connector pins open up.
Unless you've scoped the signal from the crank sensor, there's no real way to know if the wiring is "intact".
1st: Find someone with an oscilloscope, and the ability to use it. Scope the crank sensor signal to the PCM. If you have a waveform, go to step 2. If not, is it flat lined? If so, you probably dont have a connection. Pushed out pin, opened up female pin, broken wire inside the insulation, pinched wire grounding the signal, etc.
If you dont have a waveform, and there's voltage, aprox 10 volts, then the most likely cause is the sensor is too far away, and not being triggered.
2nd: If you have a waveform, hook up a scanner, and see if you have an injector pulse. Also look for timing advance, that will let you know if the computer is attempting to fire the coils.
If it turns out you have a good waveform, but the other stuff isnt present, you may have a 58 tooth reluctor. Although even with that, it should try to fire.
If you find someone to scope it for you, and you need example waveforms, I think I have both 24X and 58X patterns at my shop. If you need em for comparison, and havent figured it out by the 26th, send me a PM, and I'll email them to you.
Stop swapping stuff and diagnose.
Good luck.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SOM 02
You wont be saying that after you get it running!

That sucks man
Old 12-23-2007, 02:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
This will never cause a no start. Matter of fact it has to be running to run the test/procedure.

Bad cam sensor, or unplugged cam sensor wont cause a no start. It'll be hard to start, but it'll revert to batch fire (cam sensor synchs the sequential injection) and start.

How can you be sure the wires are intact? Wires break inside insulation (you'll never know in less you give em the "stretch test") connector pins back out of connectors, female connector pins open up.
Unless you've scoped the signal from the crank sensor, there's no real way to know if the wiring is "intact".
1st: Find someone with an oscilloscope, and the ability to use it. Scope the crank sensor signal to the PCM. If you have a waveform, go to step 2. If not, is it flat lined? If so, you probably dont have a connection. Pushed out pin, opened up female pin, broken wire inside the insulation, pinched wire grounding the signal, etc.
If you dont have a waveform, and there's voltage, aprox 10 volts, then the most likely cause is the sensor is too far away, and not being triggered.
2nd: If you have a waveform, hook up a scanner, and see if you have an injector pulse. Also look for timing advance, that will let you know if the computer is attempting to fire the coils.
If it turns out you have a good waveform, but the other stuff isnt present, you may have a 58 tooth reluctor. Although even with that, it should try to fire.
If you find someone to scope it for you, and you need example waveforms, I think I have both 24X and 58X patterns at my shop. If you need em for comparison, and havent figured it out by the 26th, send me a PM, and I'll email them to you.
Stop swapping stuff and diagnose.
Good luck.
we changed out the crank sensor and now the car throws no codes....before
it threw the crank sesnor failure code.
its goin to the shop.

Old 12-23-2007, 03:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
can some one go more into depth about this. ive never had an issue with a reluctor wheel so i dont know too much about it. how do we know if its the wrong one? all i know is that the motor is lq9 and the block is a pre 2004.