Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preparing for cam

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 08:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preparing for cam

I think I've settled on just doing a cam install and maybe even a mail order tune for fun as I'm a little short on time due to being redeployed shortly.
I'd like to be a little thorough with the valve train, trying to get an idea on the associated parts in particular, because I'm not sure what I need for my application.

2001 SS
Lid.......

After alot of thinking over the last two years, my choice for a cam only setup right now is (prescription from Pred after talking about my goals)
231/240, .643/.608 112+4 LSA
Custom order with Comp cam LSK intake and XE-R lobes

the rest of the parts are as follows,
Patriot Gold Springs
Scorpion Rockers? or Harland Shaft Mounted Adj. Rockers? (need opinions)
Comp, LS6 Lifters?(stumped on this one, anything higher reccommended?)
hardened pushrods (opinions here on brand and diameter?)
Katech Oil Pump
Comp Cams double roller timing set
valve seals, seats, and ti retainers

Other than that I'll put in some Pacesetter LTs and a catted Y
I am trying to get under the curve power here and i'm all street. I'm even to the point, if I can really make the power usable, I don't care if it falls off at 6200 or so. Reasonable?

Any ideas?

Last edited by sapper_daddy; 12-13-2007 at 10:47 PM.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:37 PM
10 Second Club

that will be nice
Old 12-13-2007, 10:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah I'm hoping so just want to make sure I get some good parts and picking the stuff out right,

hey I'd like to change the lifters, is it worth it on a cam only set up right now? Worth pulling the heads?
Old 12-13-2007, 10:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds pretty close to the cam I just got from a member. Comp 235/240 .647/.608 112 lsa. Can't wait to put it in and see what she puts down. You will have to let me know what you put down when you get it in too.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jakson
Sounds pretty close to the cam I just got from a member. Comp 235/240 .647/.608 112 lsa. Can't wait to put it in and see what she puts down. You will have to let me know what you put down when you get it in too.
Hey what lobes are they? Just curious. I'll definitely try to get some numbers up when it is done. I'm hoping for about 50 hp and a nice sound....although I'd rather some true duals..........eh?
I heard that the faster ramp rates make for easier tuning or at least a smoother idle down low. Any truth to that?
Old 12-13-2007, 11:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by sapper_daddy
I think I've settled on just doing a cam install and maybe even a mail order tune for fun as I'm a little short on time due to being redeployed shortly.
I'd like to be a little thorough with the valve train, trying to get an idea on the associated parts in particular, because I'm not sure what I need for my application.

2001 SS
Lid.......

After alot of thinking over the last two years, my choice for a cam only setup right now is (prescription from Pred after talking about my goals)
231/240, .643/.608 112+4 LSA
Custom order with Comp cam LSK intake and XE-R lobes

the rest of the parts are as follows,
Patriot Gold Springs (Patriot Extreme Duals)
Scorpion Rockers? or Harland Shaft Mounted Adj. Rockers? (need opinions)
Use the stock ones (get a Harland Sharp rebuilt from Nasty's)
Comp, LS6 Lifters?(stumped on this one, anything higher reccommended?)
Comp Cam 850-16
hardened pushrods (opinions here on brand and diameter?)
Comp Cam 7.425
Katech Oil Pump
Any ported oil pump will do
Comp Cams double roller timing set
If you are gonna to degree the cam yes, otherwise a LS2 chain and sprocket setup is more than fine.
valve seals, seats, and ti retainers
I think it all comes in the PP kit

Other than that I'll put in some Pacesetter LTs and a catted Y
I am trying to get under the curve power here and i'm all street. I'm even to the point, if I can really make the power usable, I don't care if it falls off at 6200 or so. Reasonable?

It will pull to 6600, you'll make plenty under the curve. I would invest in lower control arms and Poly sway bar bushings.

Any ideas?
Properly tuned, over 400 rwhp for sure, I would say around 410 if block is healthy.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:34 PM
TECH Regular

I have 227/228 LSK/XER with stock lifters, and I went with Patriot Extreme Golds (and yes they come with Ti retainers , seals and seats), and Comp 7.450 pushrods that Patrick recommended.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

ouch I guess I should think about getting a clutch too!!!
Old 12-14-2007, 01:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 98RedZone
I have 227/228 LSK/XER with stock lifters, and I went with Patriot Extreme Golds (and yes they come with Ti retainers , seals and seats), and Comp 7.450 pushrods that Patrick recommended.
Hey did you order that valve kit from TR? Just curious what did you end up puting down?
Old 12-14-2007, 10:28 AM
TECH Regular

I'm not sure if TR sells that spring kit, I got mine for $275 with free (and fast) shipping from Speed Inc. I didn't get it on a dyno before I put it away for the winter. I'm on a Thunder mail order tune and it runs good except some bucking at real slow speeds, which doesn't bother me.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm not sure if TR sells that spring kit, I got mine for $275 with free (and fast) shipping from Speed Inc. I didn't get it on a dyno before I put it away for the winter. I'm on a Thunder mail order tune and it runs good except some bucking at real slow speeds, which doesn't bother me.
yeah I have definitely heard some good things about mail order tunes doing the trick. When are you going to be taking it out of the garage?
Old 12-14-2007, 06:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not sure how much ur looking to spend I just put pacesetter LTs, and ORY on and have some valve train problems so while im tearing it all down I found most of my list. I called texas speed and ur cam is close to a magic stick v.3 which is what im getting along with ls2 timing chain, gm ls7 lifters, ls6 oil pump, spring kit, and under drive pulley all for around $1100.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sapper_daddy
yeah I have definitely heard some good things about mail order tunes doing the trick. When are you going to be taking it out of the garage?
It won't be out until probably April at the earliest. I have a LC-1 wideband o2 sensor I will put in to tweak the tune some more with my EFI live. How close to TR are you?
Old 12-14-2007, 08:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pulling the heads adds a lot of work to this job just to be able to install different lifters considering that neither the heads or intake have to come off for a cam swap on the GenIII LS series. Better to wait and change the lifters later on when you can afford to upgrade the heads at the same time. Why do all that work twice and pay for an extra gasket set?
Old 12-14-2007, 09:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by miller456
Not sure how much ur looking to spend I just put pacesetter LTs, and ORY on and have some valve train problems so while im tearing it all down I found most of my list. I called texas speed and ur cam is close to a magic stick v.3 which is what im getting along with ls2 timing chain, gm ls7 lifters, ls6 oil pump, spring kit, and under drive pulley all for around $1100.
I was going to skip on the underdrive for the time being and looking into maybe a fluid dampner for the future. Thanks for checking that out for me, I was expecting to pay a bit more. I wanted to degree the cam and get a timing set. By the way, is a two piece timing cover available for the GenIII like the SBC to where you can get to it pretty easy? Oh and did your setup come with some hardened push rods for that price? Just curious, thanks.
I guess I'll wind up minus the lifters and minus the underdrive pulley, but I'm sure by the time I pay for a timing set over the LS2 chain, I'll be around or a little above your price.

It won't be out until probably April at the earliest. I have a LC-1 wideband o2 sensor I will put in to tweak the tune some more with my EFI live. How close to TR are you?
From my couch where I am, about two miles. I also want to tune it myself later, but I'm just not going to have time to setup and begin learning it before I leave again. That is why I was just figuring on doing the mail tune. Might just be worth it to walk my PCM in and have the non dyno tuning done and save some shipping I guess?

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
Pulling the heads adds a lot of work to this job just to be able to install different lifters considering that neither the heads or intake have to come off for a cam swap on the GenIII LS series. Better to wait and change the lifters later on when you can afford to upgrade the heads at the same time. Why do all that work twice and pay for an extra gasket set?
My thoughts exactly, I'm sure the factory lifters will be alright until then. I will do heads later so good point.

I'm starting to have some thoughts about the bassani TD, but the dang thing doesn't come in 3"! I'd love to get it in 3"!
Old 12-14-2007, 09:55 PM
TECH Regular

Well you won't even need to remove the PCM, just bring the car there and they will flash it for you. But, a dyno tune might not cost much more, and will be better.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah there's a split timing cover for the LS, but when you see the cost you'll go into sticker shock. If you're having problems paying for things now don't even think about the split cover. That's really a specialtly item for people that do a lot of cam swaps on the same engine. If the cost came down it might not be called specialty, but I'm don't plan on doing unneeded cam swaps just because I have a split cover.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
Yeah there's a split timing cover for the LS, but when you see the cost you'll go into sticker shock. If you're having problems paying for things now don't even think about the split cover. That's really a specialtly item for people that do a lot of cam swaps on the same engine. If the cost came down it might not be called specialty, but I'm don't plan on doing unneeded cam swaps just because I have a split cover.
really its that expensive?!