Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 PCV is sucking more oil than my LS1 PCV system?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 12:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: LS6 PCV is sucking more oil than my LS1 PCV system?

Don't worry because the cam is where most of the oil consumption is going. I used about a 1qt more oil after the cam install from oil change to oil change. If anything you just added the LS6 PCV and it leveled out your oil consumption to the same before with the stock cam. If you go back to the LS1 PCV i can almost say you will use more oil with the cam now.
Old 06-30-2003, 12:59 PM
TECH Veteran

He did not say if his oil consumption problem was due to a PVC oil sucking problem or a ring blow-by oil burn issue....

...to solve the blow by problem, just replace the defective rings with new ones... I think they re-designed the rings recently to avoid the defective blow-by... unfortunately, this is fairly labor intensive...

...there is a GM serice bulletin that describes this phenominon....it says it is often casued by driving around town using high revs and little load on the engine.... apparently, you are not supposed to drive this way according to GM

Anyway, it happens mostly on M6 cars....

...another GM masterpiece of engineering excellence.....
Old 07-01-2003, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oil consumtion on my LS6 valley cover seems to have slowed down!? I'm speculating that I had residual oil in my hoses,PCV valve,air compressor filter(all reused). possibly most of the oil collected during the first 20 miles,oil consumtion is about the same as before I insalled the LS6 valley cover and cam pakage. I wish I could have compared the LS1 and LS6 PCV with the same cam.
Old 07-01-2003, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote: "Don't worry because the cam is where most of the oil consumption is going. I used about a 1qt more oil after the cam install from oil change to oil change".

Quote: "In my past experiance, a big cam does increase crankcase pressure, and a lot of people have higher oil consumption after a cam upgrade".

I won't completely disagree with the above statements, but my 98 TA with a TR220 cam, TEA 5.3L heads, and headers still uses only about 1/3 quart of oil in 4,000 miles just like it did prior to the cam change. And I think that most of this is being lost through the PCV system since I do see oil in the TB even if the TB gets completely cleaned every 4 months or so.

Ron,

Old 07-01-2003, 05:16 PM
TECH Veteran

...you may want to also install a catch can with your LS6 valley cover....

...the two working together should aviod any oil from getting sucked into the motor...

Quick Reply: LS6 PCV is sucking more oil than my LS1 PCV system?