Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how much will a complete overhaul cost??

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 07:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do a leak down and comp. test, as stated, that's where to start to see If you need to do a rebuild. I would also pull the tb off and look down into the intake manifold. If there's oil sitting in the intake, do the LS6 PCV mod. LS1Howto.com tells you everything you need and how to do it. If your constantly spinning up in the higher rpm range the stock PCV system will spit oil into the intake and into the combustion chamber... Just my .02, but def listen to guys like predator they're the tech experts. He and most of the other guys here won't do ya wrong they're just trying to help.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:30 PM
Launching!

As stated above, the plugs don't look too bad ... the oil seems to be on the threads which is probably leaking valve cover gaskets. The first thing I would do is CLEAN THE ENTIRE ENGINE ... top to bottom so that you can actualy see where the oil is coming from. Pull the oil filter off and see if there is two gaskets in there .. one on the filter and one that is possibly stuck to the block from an old filter, this will cause the filter to leak like a bitch!! Do a compression test.. you allready have the plugs out !! Take a deep breath , relax and do things in a logical order and make sound decisions from your findings. Good luck!!!

Last edited by Zitty'sZ; 12-27-2007 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:28 PM
Teching In

what does it mean when there is oil buildup inside the exhaust port of #7 cylinder?leaky piston rings?can not manually rotate engine,could be seized.any ideas??
Old 12-27-2007, 03:40 AM
TECH Regular

a shop wants to charge me 130$ for comp test whats the going rate for that and a leak down tetst i dont wanna get ripped off
Old 12-27-2007, 07:36 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by sapper_daddy
cut wires from the Odometer? Is it a six speed? Check the speed sensor on top the tranny (feel up there and make sure everything is plugged in!) I heard that from a friend anyway....

if it really was the fuse the computer would still log the miles
the PCM does not log miles in these cars..
Old 12-27-2007, 08:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe you should just do a leakdown test. That will prob help you find the leak better. If you have an Air Compressor then you can actually make your own leakdown tester .
Old 12-27-2007, 10:09 AM
TECH Regular

Definitely clean everything up to tell where its coming from. Leakdown is simple...I would pull the pcv hose and see if there is oil in it. If there is there is your problem.

Might wanna read this thread here since you had an oily plug or two. It has 2 or 3 possible probs/solutions.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ght=intake+oil