Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question On Coolant in the Oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Question On Coolant in the Oil

Well a buddy of mine came into the shop today cause i told him Id get him a synthetic oil change for real cheap, and I knew his car needed it cause, lets just say sometimes he doesnt keep up on maintenance.

I asked him when the last time he checked his oil was and he just replies "its been AWHILE"

I didnt want to keep asking and make him feel like ****, so I just kinda checked everything out real close.

Well I pulled the oil cap, and there was some yellowy water stuff (wasnt near as thick as oil) in there. And I wiped it out thinking maybe it was just condensation since his car rarely sees anythign but very short trips, but I dont think thats all it was.

So I did an Oil system cleaner, and changed the oil and threw in some Penzoil Platinum (5w30). When I was draining the oil it didnt seem to look any differnt from any other cars I do.

I checked his Oil pressure and it was right above 40 on a cold idle and when I revved it went to 60. Thats normal for an LS1 right?

He runs the car pretty hard and it still runs real well. It has like 140K on the stock motor.

Hes gonna come back the shop and Im gonna do a cooling system pressure check and see if hes losing pressure somewhere.

I think I looked at the coolant but I dont remeber how it looked cause its been like a week and I forgot.

Do you guys think he should be worried?
Old 12-27-2007, 09:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If he's not losing any coolant I wouldn't worry about it, probably just condensation like you said .
Old 12-27-2007, 10:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Condensation on the cap is common, if the oil looks fine and the coolant looks fine you're good to go.