Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

strongest Pushrods?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 05:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default strongest Pushrods?

what are the strongest/best Pushrods available?
Old 12-28-2007, 05:37 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1AC-Cobra
what are the strongest/best Pushrods available?

probably a 7/16th's chromoly. Not sure you have to clearance the heads or not.. they're heavy also.. but very very strong. Also might need to be custom made.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

In 5/16" you can get 0.116" wall from Trend and Smith Brothers. Next step would be 3/8" pushrods. Diameter buys more stiffness than wall thickness. Weight on the lifter side isn't as important as the valve side. Clearance may be an issue depending on your heads. I have also read from several people who have seen our motors on Spintrons with 5/16" pushrods that they flex a LOT!!!! Crane recently introduced 3/8" guide plates and pushrods for their rockers due to the Spintron results they observed during testing. If they went through the trouble to tool up for this then there must be a market/issue.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Jesels are nice.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:06 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by vettenuts
In 5/16" you can get 0.116" wall from Trend and Smith Brothers. Next step would be 3/8" pushrods. Diameter buys more stiffness than wall thickness. Weight on the lifter side isn't as important as the valve side. Clearance may be an issue depending on your heads. I have also read from several people who have seen our motors on Spintrons with 5/16" pushrods that they flex a LOT!!!! Crane recently introduced 3/8" guide plates and pushrods for their rockers due to the Spintron results they observed during testing. If they went through the trouble to tool up for this then there must be a market/issue.
at what rpms did they flex alot at bob? 3/8" should be plenty for most setups on this board.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:54 PM
Teching In

I agree w/vettenuts 1000%. I have 3/8 Smith Brothers in mine, no clearance issues but thats OEM heads and rockers. As they say " your results may vary". Also Terry Manton, Manton pushrods, has a very interesting tech page on column theory. Manton pushrods are also very highly regarded in the racing world and deserve consideration.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JPH
at what rpms did they flex alot at bob? 3/8" should be plenty for most setups on this board.
Crane wasn't specific on their results with regards to RPM. I do agree that many setups with the high valve spring loads, especially with TFS and ETP heads that require longer pushrods, can benefit from 3/8" pushrods. Often overlooked in my opinion.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:39 AM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Crane wasn't specific on their results with regards to RPM. I do agree that many setups with the high valve spring loads, especially with TFS and ETP heads that require longer pushrods, can benefit from 3/8" pushrods. Often overlooked in my opinion.
agree with you there. I never had any issues yet with 5/16" stuff, but it's always a thought on the BIG builds.

Quick Reply: strongest Pushrods?