Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BRINGING CAR IN FOR PISTON SLAP NOISE!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: BRINGING CAR IN FOR PISTON SLAP NOISE!

Wow, guys take not that all of the people in this thread have '01s and '02s. A large portion of the '01s wer plagued with oil consumption and piston slap. While they fixed most of the consumption problems in '02 the piston slap was still around. I feel good for the first time to have a '99, no oil consumption or slap for 28K miles . If only they ran like the '01 + cars.

-Nick
Old 07-07-2003, 10:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

make GM buy back your piston slapping lemon!!!!
Old 07-07-2003, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a 01 M6 SS and had problems(according to the dealer)with piston slap, sounded like a deisel when cold went away after it warmed up. the dealer said the noise was normal and not to worry about it. When I did my cam swap I checked the oil O ring and it was OK, I checked the push rods and they were all straight, I removed the heads due to dropping a lifter in the engine so I removed the head's and had them cleaned up, I removed the carbon deposits from the top of the pistons, I removed the stock lifters and installed comp R's lifters and thunder hardend push rods, I put every thing back together and now I have no problems what so ever now with the so called PISTON SLAP. I beleive I't was the stock lifters.
Old 07-07-2003, 08:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

The stock lifter is exactly waht 90% of the what the people are hearing have. the Exhaust Lifters are Rhodes style lifters and they click. My 01 Clicks to beat the band but dosn't drink a drop of oil.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:18 PM
11 Second Club

Wassup guys just got my car back today. and they changed the oil seal and there was still piston slap but the tech thats werking on mah car is cool his from florida and just moved here to hawaii. He also took my valve covers off and check it out. he said he ordered rocker arms and push rods for my car. warranty!!! im happy cause atleast there makin an effort to look for the problem! and they was kool about all my mods they liked my exhasut set up, so i guess ill bring it back next week. let u guys noe wats up latez.
Old 07-17-2003, 07:51 AM
TECH Veteran

...what do you mean they changed the oil seal?

You are not referring to the oil piston ring (oil scraqpper)? are you?

Old 07-18-2003, 04:33 AM
11 Second Club

Im talkin about the oil o-ring between oil pump and oil pick up. i found tsb on lsi.com, printed it out and brought it to the dealership. some 2001 and up f and y bodies have a defective o-ring causing aeraetion meaning makin bubbles in the oil<something like that. but it wasnt that. so i have to bring it back again next week cause the tech thats workin on my car ordered me a new set of push rods, rocker arms, and i believe he also said lifters. he also checked if there was all the needle bearings in the valve train he said that was alright. ill keep u guys updated when i bring car in!