Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drain oil to change timing chain?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 08:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drain oil to change timing chain?

I've got to drop the oil pan 1/2" to change the timing chain, do most people drain the oil or leave it in the pan during this task?

Thanks.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the chain is behind the oil pump.....therefore you have to fish a 10mm in there to get the tube off the bottom of the oil pump to get the sprocket and chain off.....this is where you have to take a deep breath before and do it and be very calm......dropping the pan 1/2in in the garage laying on the ground isnt too bad.....but if the o-ring or the 10mm bolt fall into the pan you will be in a heap paid......so as far as draining the oil goes.....you dont have to...but in the event something is dropped you will have to change it ne ways.......if you are close to your oil change go ahead....
i dont think there is a break in period on a timing chain but if there is you certainly dont want to break it in with old dirty oil
ls1howto.com is pretty helpful
Old 12-29-2007, 09:01 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did not drain the oil before I did mine. That said, when I loosened up the pan I lost some oil out the rear. Just be very patiant and loosen all the bolts to get it to drop as far as you can. I felt this was the most frustrating part of my swap. My car had 3000K oil in it and I am changing it today after putting 200 miles on the car. You won't hurt it unless your old oil is real old IMHO.

Quick Reply: Drain oil to change timing chain?