Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You Never Know What Your're Getting Plus a Helluva Day

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 12:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default You Never Know What Your're Getting Plus a Helluva Day

You guys gotta here this story. I have 98 Camaro that I'm doing an LS1 swap. At this point I just about have everything to do the swap. I decided since I have the engine out of the car and I'm in no hurry I will just build the engine I want. I got the engine off Ebay. Basically a long block with intake, fuel injection system, and TB. It was advertised as a LS1 out of a 98 vette that had been wrecked. only 17,000 miles on it when it was wrecked and had been in storage ever since. I paid $1300.00 for it which seemed like a good deal at the time. Well I ran the VIN number on the block and it is actually out of a 99 vette. The center bolt valve covers made me wonder what the true year model was. I thought since I had the engine out of the car that I have the heads ported and polished, valve job and put a cam in it. When I started tearing down the engine things were not adding up. The were signs that alot of trash had been ran through the engine. I decided to go ahead and tear the engine all the way down and clean it up. Well, there was actually dirt on the end of some of the head bolts. bearing surfaces and crank was scratched. I thought OK, I will have the crank polished and just have the cylinders honed. Well my machine shop bill keeps getting bigger and bigger. I went over to the machine shop this morning to check the progress. I was informed that the #3 cylinder is warped. They say might have dropped a valve, had some sort of severe predetonation or cracked a piston. Who knows. We are discussing the options right now.
At this point I need some input. I know that LS1 sleeves are ribbed so they cannot be heated and pressed out. They might be able to bore it. What do you guys think? What are are the limits for boring a LS1. I heard it was .010". Would it be best to try to bore the entire block and just get new pistons or put a new sleeve in that cylinder. How far have people gone with boring 99 and up blocks? I'm kind of leaning with boring if that will work. I was concerned with P-V clearance and this will give a reason to buy pistons with valve reliefs. This experience sure makes a person think twice about buying something like this off E-bay. I bought my transmission of the "for sale" section of this sight. I hope it is OK.
Anyway, my machine shop bill is getting bigger and bigger. My wife will probably divorce me over the money I'm spending. On top of that, the mail man rear-ended my car when I stopped at the bank on the way home and an oncoming truck through a rock up and chipped my windshield.

Like I said, helluva day.
Old 06-30-2003, 01:13 PM
TECH Resident

Default Re: You Never Know What Your're Getting Plus a Helluva Day

to remove the sleeves they have to be bored out in a 3 step process and i think on the 99+ engines you have up to .010 to bore it before need to go to the bigger sleeves

JR
Old 06-30-2003, 01:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

man,i thought i was having a bad day. sorry about your bad luck.
Old 06-30-2003, 01:24 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Geez, if that block is going to cost you more than $300-400 to fix, just buy a new core from Valvegod (Shaun). Did you notify the seller and chew his ***?

Sorry to hear about the crap you purchased.

Tony
Old 06-30-2003, 10:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah... what was the sellers description EBAY will prosecute anyone who sells boggus stuff I would contact the seller and make him either give your money back or pay for the repair If that goes no where then contact EBAY!!!! THAT IS SUCH BS SORRY TO HERE THAT!
Old 06-30-2003, 11:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, I sent an "I'm pissed off" e-mail to the seller. We will see how it goes. I have let alot of it go. Scratched bearings, dirt where it is not supposed to be, ect. But this deal with the warped cylinder pushed me over the line.
His comment to me was "I would have no problem putting the engine in a car right now as it is". What a #@$%ing idiot. I realized that when I pulled the valve cover off and the #7 exhaust valve rocker was laying there with no bolt in sight.
Old 07-01-2003, 07:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I bought a "never used" LS6 block from Shaun (Valvegod). By the time I paid for re-sleeving this block and the rest of the machine work, it only cost about $300.00 more for a new LS6 block. You guys should contact him when you need parts. He saved me a significant amount of money on a set of rings as well. Still trying to get some money from the guy who sold me the engine. I paid with discover card. They have insurance against fraudulant sales.

In any case, I have a block for sale if anybody needs one for a stroker project.