Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I change my cam?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 12:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I change my cam?

Last summer I grenaded my LS1, I wanted to get back on the street quickly so I bought a used LS6 and it kind of worked out. I think I have a LPE GT1-1 cam, the LS6 had LPE’s 500 hp h/c package installed on it. LPE said it uses their GT1-1 cam in that package. The cam specs are: 229/242 .631/.631 114 lsa. I’m concerned about the lift, it seems significantly higher than most other cams on the market, and I think its too hard on the springs. So, I’m considering getting a new cam. I’m replacing the valve springs, push rods, installing GM’s caddy lifters, and adding ARP rod bolts this winter (wanted to freshen up the valve train and get the motor more stable at high rpms), so I figure now is the time to think about the cam. The engine did not produce as much torque as I though it would, only about 25 more than the old LS1 with a stock y2k vette cam, and the hp was about 40 more. But, the tune was not a performance tune, so that is part of the issue the other I think the valve springs are in dire need of replacement.

If I were to change cams, what are some good cams for my application: LS6 with LPE ported heads and intake, LG LT headers, mn6 trans, I would like a good power band between 2 and 7,000 rpms (probably run at 6,800 or a little less), although I would still like a decent idle. Are LG’s GXx family of cams the ticket? LG does very well in road racing which makes me think his cams are better for what I use my car for, which is club road racing but I still drive it a lot on the street. I know these are conflicting requirements but that’s the situation I’m in

My two biggest worries about the existing cam are first the longevity of the valve springs, and two not as much torque as I though I would get, and a little that 20k miles might have worn it some... I was thinking that there would be a cam that would be easier on the springs and maybe better under the curve.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Longevity of valve springs and big power cams don't go together bro. However a good compromise is the g5x2. Good all around cam. Nice duration, and lift just under .600 Should give those valve springs a break. I had the g5x3 and now have the g5x3 version II. I was told to change my dual valvesprings every 15000 miles. That's about every 2 years for me. Yes I actually put over 5000 miles a year on my car. I put a bunch of money into it, I'll be damned if I don't drive it as often as possible. At any rate bro you could always experiment with a custom cam. Something in the .580 lift range but go big on the duration 240 ish so you can still make big power while not overtaxing those dual valve springs. My setup made 490 rwhp 445 rwtq, and she traps 123.6 mph ! Been over 200 mph quite a few times. My car was setup with top speed in mind, and maintaining great highway fuel economy. I lucked out and got the best of both worlds. LG Motorsports did a great job. Give Bobby a call about your cam questions.

GOOD LUCK !!
Old 01-03-2008, 12:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

If it's part of a package from LPE you should be fine. Those guys def know what they're doing. I wouldn't worry about it too much. And if you really are, you could always just upgrade to a double spring.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I also installed the LPE GT1-1 cam & their ported LS6 heads with 2.02/1.55 valves and milled to 61cc. The car only made 408 RWHP on a Dyno Jet. Then I swapped the stock LS6 intake/BBK ported TB for a Momofied 90/90 intake. This resulted in 434 RWHP.

I ordered the LG G5X3 114 camshaft. I'll post the results in a few months.

Russ Kemp
Old 01-03-2008, 02:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Russ K
I also installed the LPE GT1-1 cam & their ported LS6 heads with 2.02/1.55 valves and milled to 61cc. The car only made 408 RWHP on a Dyno Jet. Then I swapped the stock LS6 intake/BBK ported TB for a Momofied 90/90 intake. This resulted in 434 RWHP.

I ordered the LG G5X3 114 camshaft. I'll post the results in a few months.

Russ Kemp
Sounds very familar, I'm intested to see what your results are, but I hope to have the engine back together in a couple or months.

How does the G5X3 II idle? What idle speed does it like? If I change, I'm leaning that direction

And, yes, its been double springs on the original install and I have double going back in. 15k would mean its over due when I bought it, and it would mean close to new springs every year, because yes I'm an idiot and try and drive like hell when I'm on the track...
Old 01-03-2008, 07:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My idle is 1025 and it sounds like a Nascar at startup !!! Could've been idled a bit lower, but I am not a big fan of all that car shaking lope that feels like its about to stall. JMO.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MattB1
Sounds very familar, I'm intested to see what your results are, but I hope to have the engine back together in a couple or months.

How does the G5X3 II idle? What idle speed does it like? If I change, I'm leaning that direction

And, yes, its been double springs on the original install and I have double going back in. 15k would mean its over due when I bought it, and it would mean close to new springs every year, because yes I'm an idiot and try and drive like hell when I'm on the track...
Since my heads are milled, the 114 LSA will increase the PTV on the intake. Measure your intake valve drop, mine was .180. The G5X3 II is a larger cam then the G5X3, so they just named it as G5X3 II according to Anthony @LG. And he said it defiantly won't have enough PTV without fly cutting in my engine.

Russ Kemp