Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 went into puddle of water cai sucked up the water, what to do? help

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually if you have insurance and the deductible isn't outrageous, crank away man.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by CO99Z28Vert
^^^ Thats funny. Not to be a dick but he asked for advice and everybody tells him not to crank it until he gets all the water out and what does he try to do? Crank the damn thing without pulling the plugs!

Ok anyways lol good luck man that must really suck, but how deep was this water anyways to make it all the way up into the intake?

as soon as the car turned off on me, i tried to turn it on, it was before i posted on here, the water about 1 ft
Old 01-25-2008, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The quicker you get the water out of there and restart it, the better IMO.

I'm not sure why you all are wasting your time with a siphon hose and a pump and all that. I'm sure that would help, but isn't really necessary. If you've ever seen a hydrolocked engine crank over once the plugs are out, there is a lot of pressure forcing the water out. After about 10-15 seconds or so, throw the plugs back in, or replace them. Agree that some marvel oil is a good idea, but if you didn't have any, motor oil or some ATF would do the trick. If you do oil it, be sure to crank it over some more afterwards to ensure you don't have too much oil in a cylinder.

And yes, drain the oil out ASAP, refill the crankcase with whatever is readily available. Refire the engine and listen for anything that sounds out of the ordinary. All the pressure from trying to compress the water can bend a rod if you aren't lucky. If there is a tap or knock knock that doesn't go away in less than 30 seconds at idle, you have a problem. If that checks out ok, listen for a dead/weak cylinder and continue to run the engine as long as necessary to get the oil up to the boiling point for several minutes or more to evaporate any water in the crankcase.

Most people would probably go ahead and drain the oil after that as well, but my friend whose four wheel drive we did this to ran fine and never had any problems afterwards. 4.0L Rangers don't have as much compression as an LS1 though.

Good luck! Hopefully you can get it going without any drama.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:00 PM
On The Tree

when i hydrolocked mine the starter got screwed up, so......
1) pull plugs, crank, if no crank
2) buy a new starter
3) make sure you get all the water out before you put the plugs back in or you will blow out your rings, as water does NOT compress and will be forced to go somewhere!
Old 01-26-2008, 05:07 PM
Launching!

agreed the siphon isnt completely necessary..but it helps, i dont know how much he has in there, and the quicker you get it out the better. plus the siphon isnt really alot of work at all...put the line down..hit the drill..suck up water...repeat 7 times, all in all takes 10 minutes, and the more you get out before you crank the better imo
and hammertime, not to sound like a dick...but you should ALWAYS change the oil..its not that expensive man, and your friend was extremely lucky, and this is hardly a 4x4 hes dealing with in this situation
Old 01-26-2008, 06:55 PM
Staging Lane

I'm a non survivor on hydrolocking my integra engine. If you don't have a big puddle of oil under your car, you were lucky enough not to go through the block. Mine didn't either, but it did bend the rods enough to have the pistons completely f up a couple of cylinder walls. I was lucky enough to have my insurance by me a new bottom end.

Take out the spark plugs like everyone said, and try to crank it. If it's blowing out oil, you might as well stop. It's over for you, but it won't necessarily do that if it is messed up. Install new plugs after a few hrs. Long enough to let the little bit evap. Then try to crank it. That's all.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

this is the saddest story i have ever heard.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i woulduv hed the plugs out allready and seen if it would turn over if ok put them back in then get it hot change the oil and filter then new plugs and then this is the most important one take that water sucker of my damn car!!
Old 01-29-2008, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

well guys, i talked to my mechanic, cause i just decided to take it in, he got the car running, he said their was alot of water in the egnine, the car started fine, he said he would let me know if there was any other problems, im so happy so far, i hope its nothing, im not sure how he got the water out, im hoping he didnt bend anything
Old 01-29-2008, 08:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by themack56
ok , im gonna take the spark plugs out tomorrow,
1 take spark plugs out
2 were do i put the mystery oil, inside the spark holes, and do i put the mystery oil after or before i take the water out of the spark holes, do i try and crank it to take water out?
plz explain this step thnx
LOL.
Kid you need to realy get out of the house more I cant even belive this is real this has to be a joke.
but if this does happen to some one like said befor take out all the spark plugs and crank the engine over to get the water out of the cylinders thats the main thing. Its like any engine I have a jeep and many guys have sucked up water and just taken out the spark plugs pushed the water out and started right thier in the woods they sprayed wd40 in each plug hole also.
I think your car probly didnt get that far where you got water in the engine but I guess you never know.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

good to hear you took your car to a mechanic man haha if you ben somthing you could hear it right away so you are probly ok.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kail
agreed the siphon isnt completely necessary..but it helps, i dont know how much he has in there, and the quicker you get it out the better. plus the siphon isnt really alot of work at all...put the line down..hit the drill..suck up water...repeat 7 times, all in all takes 10 minutes, and the more you get out before you crank the better imo
and hammertime, not to sound like a dick...but you should ALWAYS change the oil..its not that expensive man, and your friend was extremely lucky, and this is hardly a 4x4 hes dealing with in this situation
Not sure if I was mis-understood, as he actually did change the oil immediatley after it hydrolocked. They pulled his truck out of the mud, ran to walmart to get 6qts and a filter and changed it right out there in the open. I'm not sure how long he may have waited to change it again, but it wasn't my truck.

Thinking back, it sucks that he dumped his oil out on the ground...

And no, you don't sound like a dick - only a dick would skip out on a $20 oil change that could save a $2000 - $6000 engine!
Old 01-29-2008, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by themack56
well guys, i talked to my mechanic, cause i just decided to take it in, he got the car running, he said their was alot of water in the egnine, the car started fine, he said he would let me know if there was any other problems, im so happy so far, i hope its nothing, im not sure how he got the water out, im hoping he didnt bend anything
Glad to hear it may be saved!
Old 01-30-2008, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

well guys i just picked up my car, and it runs like nothing ever happened to it, by the way its a 98 ls1 with 110 000 miles on it, not bad for a 10 year old engine thats hauls like if it just came out of the factory lol, thnx again guys
Old 01-31-2008, 01:41 AM
TECH Addict

good news, you lucked out!
Old 01-31-2008, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Grimes
good news, you lucked out!
the only difference i noticed is that it boggles a little tiny bit when i accelerate from first, im gonna buy electrical cleaner and clean my maf, cause that got real wet, i changed the spark plugs but not the wires, so im gonna start there to, other then that, it didnt loose power
Old 01-31-2008, 03:49 PM
On The Tree

when this happened to me on my 100k 98' z i had to replace the maf because it f'ed up the wires inside it
Old 01-31-2008, 04:18 PM
ino
TECH Enthusiast

Sweet,you are a lucky person go buy a lotto ticket
Old 01-31-2008, 05:22 PM
11 Second Club

I work at a motorcycle dealership. You wouldn't believe the number of hydrolocked dirtbikes and ATV's we get in here lol.

If you take the plugs out of the car and give it a shot of WD40 in each cylinder before you turn it over it really helps a lot. Water Dispersing formula 40. Who would have guessed that would help eh? I have heard good things about the marvel mystery oil but haven't used it myself.

If your getting hesitation I would bank on the MAF.
If your running a cotton air filter such as a K&N or the like, double check to make sure its dry as well. Those things hold water for days.

If the MAF turns out to be fine start the car when its completely cold and get a laser temp gun. Shoot it on each of the cylinders right around the spark plug are (not on the plug). You might have a cylinder that is missing. It would show up colder than the other cylinders at first.

Also replace the plug wires as you said and use some dielectric grease on the inside of each boot. Water is not a friendly guy.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Exclamation

Originally Posted by greinder03
when this happened to me on my 100k 98' z i had to replace the maf because it f'ed up the wires inside it
did urs hesitate to, and did it get fixed after u bought the maf?

Quick Reply: ls1 went into puddle of water cai sucked up the water, what to do? help