hbeams
flat tops w/chrom-moly
599/601 lunati
90mm fast 90 mm holley
slp maf
msd coils
blaa blaa blaa
and will have 150 wshot not on yet...
heres why i ask... all i have read or seen on Ls1 tech .. NO body likes Patriots.. almost every thread i read ..ppl are getting rid of them.. I have no real clue .. why i would'nt go with the patiots.. they are less and flow more?

Plz tell me what u had and u now have and why thanks .in advance
Old 01-26-2008 | 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would get what i could afford, and if i could afford $2300 I would get AFRs. Thats what i did, but trick flows are good too.
Old 01-26-2008 | 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If it were me I would buy the Trick Flows, thats what I am saving up for. They have got great results that I have seen in person on dyno and at the track.
Old 01-26-2008 | 01:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Evans752
If it were me I would buy the Trick Flows, thats what I am saving up for. They have got great results that I have seen in person on dyno and at the track.
I agree .. I like trick flows.. but the patriots are worked passed stage 3 .. and there on a 5.60 car right now.. at half the price.. thats why im leaning toward those
Old 01-26-2008 | 02:01 PM
11 Second Club
20 Year Member

Don't the trick flow's have a different valve angle and chamber design? If they do I'd worry about your pistons not working with them.
Old 01-26-2008 | 03:18 PM
KCS
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by stockz
Ok.. i have a choice.. between a set of

Trick flow
338@600Intake
228@600Exhaust

$2300.00 plus tax

OR

patriots stage 3 worked
350@600
260@600
1500.00 on a turbo car running 5.60 's in an 8th

i have
6.0l 30 over
hbeams
flat tops w/chrom-moly
599/601 lunati
90mm fast 90 mm holley
slp maf
msd coils
blaa blaa blaa
and will have 150 wshot not on yet...
heres why i ask... all i have read or seen on Ls1 tech .. NO body likes Patriots.. almost every thread i read ..ppl are getting rid of them.. I have no real clue .. why i would'nt go with the patiots.. they are less and flow more?

Plz tell me what u had and u now have and why thanks .in advance
I would say between the two, the Patriots would be just fine for you. The TFS heads are an entirely different casting, with a thicker deck. If you're running alot of boost or nitrous, they'd be great, but since you're just running a 370ci motor and the 150 shot the TFS heads are overkill.

If you're so worried about patriots, why not go with a different head? Say, TEA or GMPP?
Old 01-26-2008 | 03:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KCS
I would say between the two, the Patriots would be just fine for you. The TFS heads are an entirely different casting, with a thicker deck. If you're running alot of boost or nitrous, they'd be great, but since you're just running a 370ci motor and the 150 shot the TFS heads are overkill.

If you're so worried about patriots, why not go with a different head? Say, TEA or GMPP?
Honestly .. because im not as educated on the motor and components as i should be.. i will run this pass the builder.. I just have read allot of neg on all patriots.. allot on this board..

so i thought i would ask u guys that has done this already.. the guy is selling the head because 5.60 in an 8th is not fast enough for him.. but his car is a track car. and mine is a DDriver..
thanks again for the input
Old 01-26-2008 | 03:43 PM
TECH Resident

get the patriots, then take the rest of the money that you would have spent on the trick flows, and use it to have your intake ported, tuning, rocker arms. basically make well rounded package with the money you save on the heads. it will bring out themax potential of the patriot heads, more than if you just bolted the TF's on.
Old 01-26-2008 | 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

you need to know a lot more then flow numbers on the heads to make a wise decision.Just flow numbers alone dont tell you anything on how well they will perform.A cylinder head might have unreal performance on a turbo car and terrible performance on a N/A setup.These are the things you need to find out about any cylinder head.And peak flow numbers dont mean everything either.Mid lift flow is just as important if not more important then flow at .600

:Chamber volume ?
:Chamber design ?
:Intake runner volume(important for NA setup)
:exhaust runner volume ?
:Valve size ?
:flow numbers ?
Old 01-26-2008 | 04:45 PM
KCS
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by stockz
Honestly .. because im not as educated on the motor and components as i should be.. i will run this pass the builder.. I just have read allot of neg on all patriots.. allot on this board..

so i thought i would ask u guys that has done this already.. the guy is selling the head because 5.60 in an 8th is not fast enough for him.. but his car is a track car. and mine is a DDriver..
thanks again for the input
I 100% agree with running it past your builder, and I would take that advice over what most on here would say. He is gonna know your combo better than anyone here. Just keep an open mind and try not to be swayed by people's opinion. Patriots seem to me to be a good head for the money. I have heard of them having problems but Gunnar over there seems to be quick in response to solving those problems. If the heads have seen 5.60's already, I think that would be a pretty good testament that the heads are in working order. But put some thought into getting them freshened up. When a head is heat cycled, the pressed in parts such as false guides and seats relax a bit and the valvejob can move around a bit and not seal as well. Think about it as a little preventative maintenance. But, like you said, I think it's best to run it by your builder and see what he says.

Best of luck to ya.
Old 01-26-2008 | 05:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by redtail2426
you need to know a lot more then flow numbers on the heads to make a wise decision.Just flow numbers alone dont tell you anything on how well they will perform.A cylinder head might have unreal performance on a turbo car and terrible performance on a N/A setup.These are the things you need to find out about any cylinder head.And peak flow numbers dont mean everything either.Mid lift flow is just as important if not more important then flow at .600

:Chamber volume ?
:Chamber design ?
:Intake runner volume(important for NA setup)
:exhaust runner volume ?
:Valve size ?
:flow numbers ?
thanks everyone..

wow really didnt think about having them freshined up.. and ill would have to get back with u on these numbers..

i let u know by next week thanks again
Old 01-26-2008 | 05:58 PM
TECH Regular

+1 on the freshen up. I run Patriots and have had zero troubles. I run N/A with TR224 so I'm pretty mild but from my point of view, I don't have to have $2400 heads to match my needs. Do you? They are good heads. I like the idea of using the extra coin for other mods. Exactly what I did and had enough to do SLP pulley, pay for pushrods, oil pump, timing set and rework my exhaust. Sure I left something on the table by not using AFR's etc but did end up with a good package. Question is, what is your ultimate plan? Does it require AFR's or Trick Flows? If so, only buy the right heads, once.

Good luck!
Old 01-26-2008 | 06:29 PM
FormerVendor

go with the trickflows-those big *** ports in the patriots are great for a fi racecar but arent that good on a street car,stick with the smaller port and velocity-not only that a car going 5.60's is beating on those heads pretty good-fi cars try to tulip the valves and are hard on valve seats-just cause they work good on one car dont mean they are good for yours
Old 01-26-2008 | 06:35 PM
11 Second Club

Trickflow. If you want a budget head I'd go TSP.
Old 01-26-2008 | 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

TFS no doubt. The 13.3* valve angle gives more PTV clearance and their low and mid lift flow #'s slam the PP's providing great lowend torque. PP's are great for the $$ but you are talking apples and oranges. Just make sure you have quality supporting mods to get everything out of them. They are one of the top three (AFR and ETP being the others). Keep in mind you have to buy a $400-$500 set of rocker arms to run with them too. TFS or AFR is what I am gonna soon run
Old 01-26-2008 | 10:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
TFS no doubt. The 13.3* valve angle gives more PTV clearance and their low and mid lift flow #'s slam the PP's providing great lowend torque. PP's are great for the $$ but you are talking apples and oranges. Just make sure you have quality supporting mods to get everything out of them. They are one of the top three (AFR and ETP being the others). Keep in mind you have to buy a $400-$500 set of rocker arms to run with them too. TFS or AFR is what I am gonna soon run
Thanks

The heads are on a single turbo ls1 car.. mabye ..mabye 10 passes ..I also should mention.. i get rockers and all .. turn key.. he simply wants to go bigger.. his first step was a new Lsx Warlock.. Now hes looking at Heads

Lucky him.. haha.. Hell Lucky Me.. Amen on Slp Pullies
Old 01-26-2008 | 10:11 PM
On The Tree

Tea Ls6 Stage 2,worth Looking Into Also....