Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QUESTION: can you drop a motor using a 4-post lift?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 05:46 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default QUESTION: can you drop a motor using a 4-post lift?

Okay, here's the story. I'm about 99% sold on getting a 4 post lift in the coming weeks/month. I've got three cars, a lawn tractor and a garage that's filling up quickly. During the winter, I plan to store the T/A on the lift, and park the daily driver under it. But someday in the future, I'd like to be able to swap the motor and go bigger.

I know how you do it with a 2-post lift, but what I was thinking is this (some steps are left out, just a general procedure):

1. Drive the car on the lift, raise the front end and put jackstands under the front framerails so you can remove the wheels.
2. Disconnect the lower a-arms from the k member, then unbolt the necessary stuff up in the engine bay.
3. Put the lift down and put supports under the k member.
4. Unbolt the k member from the chasis and lift the car in the air.

The whole issue is that the front wheels / a-arms would be blocked by the lift ramps. I beleive the ramps are ~38" apart, which should be enough to drop the k member through.

If I can't use a four post, it's okay, my brother in law has a two post at his house, but I'd rather not ask that favor if I didn't have to. I wouldn't want to tie up his lift because he uses it to make money on the side.

Thanks.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why don't you install a 2 post instead of a 4? you can do a lot more with a 2 post.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I go 2 post as well. You can still store the car on the lift during the winter and part under it, just have to watch that you don't damage the doors geting in and out.

Re'
Old 01-30-2008, 09:29 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

I just like using a four post over a two post.

Again, about the only think I can think of that will be restricted using the four post is pulling the motor.

Also, my garage doesn't have any posts in the middle, so I can pull the car in, put it on the lift, and then move the car towards the center to work on it, can't do that with a two post. Plus a two post takes up moe space that a four post. It's only a 20x20 garage, and the two post is wider than the four.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:23 AM
On The Tree

Which 4 post are you looking at? I'm going with the Pro Park 7 from gregsmithequipment for my upcoming LSX swap project and will buy the jack too. While it's expensive, it'll give me the functionality of a 2 post. I want the 4 post so I can store a car in the winter.

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Pr...PROJACK%2D3500

Frank
Old 01-31-2008, 09:32 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Hey Frank,

I'm either going with the pro-park 7 or 8, not sure yet, but I'm also getting the jack as well from Greg Smith Equipment. They are in Delaware which is an hour drive from my house. Nice thing is there is no sales tax in Delaware.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:00 AM
On The Tree

That's why I'm huffing up there from Baltimore. No tax, an hour and a half away, good price. They don't always have them in stock at the warehouse, so give them a call a few days in advance to order.

Frank
Old 01-31-2008, 10:03 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Thanks Frank. I'm waiting for my bonus check as well, so I'll make certain to drop them a call a week or so in advance.

Quick Reply: QUESTION: can you drop a motor using a 4-post lift?