Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Coming From Oil Filler Breather

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 10:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Coming From Oil Filler Breather

I have a forged h/c ls1 with 1k miles. Just today I had oil on my valve cover and coil packs from my oil filler breather. I also have a catch can. Recently the catch can has had something milky looking in it, but nothing pertaining to a head gasket. I had a piece of the pcv system off of a valve cover and I think moisture got in and caused that. Coolant is still full and green and hardly any loss in oil. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 02-01-2008, 08:06 AM
On The Tree

T T T
Old 02-01-2008, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

I hooked up a catch can directly off the pvc system with the other side going to the T.body. These cars push alot of oil to the valve train. Having oil in the catch can is normal. With a breather on the valve cover you are sucking moisture into the engine at that point. The engines make moisture every time they start up. Check your tail pipes you'll see. I would keep an eye on your water level. Check the overflow level also. If it goes down you might have a problem.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:37 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1lejohn
The engines make moisture every time they start up. Check your tail pipes you'll see.
Tailpipe moisture is "condensation" created by warm/hot air traversing a cool/cold surface. Think of it like breathing on a mirror causing it to fog up...same effect when warm exhaust travels through a cold tailpipe. Never happens when the tailpipe is already hot (up to operating temp). And you're correct that a certain amount of condensation will occur inside the block, but should evaporate each time the engine is run at operating temperature for a duration.

Sounds like higher than normal crankcase pressure...maybe rings have not seated entirely?
Old 02-03-2008, 12:59 PM
On The Tree

coolant level is where its upposed to be. I took the pvc system off and it had water dripping out of it. Very strange, also the valve cover gasket is leaking.