Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can ARP MAIN bolts be used w/ align hone??

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can ARP MAIN bolts be used w/ align hone??

I was told studs cant for sure. I really don't want to have to use TTY bolts but I am not going to align hone the block. I don't plan to make more then the stock HP but I really do not want to deal w/ the inaccuracies of an angle gauge.

Thanks
Dave
Old 02-05-2008, 06:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The answer is probably. With engine building there are no hard fast rules about anything...except this: The surfaces and clearances must be close enough to specs to enable every component to function as it was intended. Many of the procedures that machine shops and builders use are done to be on the safe side. I told my children to stay out of the street not because I was sure they would get hit by a car but because I knew they would not get hit by a car if they were not in the street. There are milllions of engines running great that would need to be align honed if you tore them apart and checked them. Torque your mains down with whatever bolts or studs you are going to use and check the alignment...if it is close then put in your main bearings and crank and torque again and see how it spins. If it turns nice and easy you are good to go assuming your crank is in good condition and the bearing clearances are within spec.

So much of the info on this board is "partial info" it may not be wrong but if you do not understand the basics of how the parts of an engine have to function then the info sends you down the wrong road. Remember that the sponsors support this board to sell products and services and that is a good thing. We all learned by doing...good luck with your build.

Quick Reply: Can ARP MAIN bolts be used w/ align hone??