Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H/C + rebuilt t56 + clutch + 9" break in

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H/C + rebuilt t56 + clutch + 9" break in

The car is under the knife and will be finished next week, or the week after. What do i need to do for a proper break in procedure. Rear end needs 5/6 heat cycles right?? A rebutable shop is doing the work, so is it likely they will break it in before the tune??? I would think that the tune would make be just as bad as romping on the car, so should i be concerned?
Old 02-03-2008, 12:17 AM
Teching In

good qustion i was wondering the same thing with a new cluch and gettin a tune so i could drive it to break in lthe new clutch
Old 02-03-2008, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

ttt... come on guys, help us newbies out.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:20 AM
10 Second Club

if you company knows what they are doing you should be fine. at our garage, for a rear end we just pour the fluid in right away and push the car back and forth during the build so that the fluid can soak into the metal. a cam=no need for a break in if it is a roller hydraulic. a clutch needs to be driven for about 10 miles softly going through all of the gears and then let cool about 3 cycles. when we tune a car we get a base and drive it around before we strap it down. however, everyone has their opinion on how to break stuff in, so be advised. i just know i have never had a motor break or a rear end or clutch fail, yet! whatever happens have fun with the new setup.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:46 PM
11 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/advanced-engineering-tech/672793-engine-break-theory.html

That should answer some questions on the engine side of things. That is from the sticky on this subforum. Be sure to get on it pretty good =-)
Old 02-03-2008, 02:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When you're breaking in a clutch, you just don't want to shift it hard or launch it hard...when it's engaged, if it isn't slipping (which a brand new clutch on just a H/C car shouldn't be doing) you can put the pedal on the floor and it's no different than letting the engine idle...so tuning really won't affect that.

As someone else already said, there's no break in for the cam, and there's none for the heads either...if it's a reputable shop, they will keep it clean when it's opened up, and thats all that really matters, and it's all that generally causes people to lose engines immediately after a cam swap.

As for the rear...I'd ask the people who make the gears...but in the past I haven't worried much about street gears...I'm sure they'll be fine.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cool. Just talked to my builder. Said not to worry, they would take care of it. Gonna heat cycle the rear on jack stands. Said not to launch the car for 200 miles for the clutch.