Sponsored by:

Ls1 Noise 99 Camaro Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 11:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls1 Noise 99 Camaro Please Help

Hello I am new to these post.

I have a 99 camaro Z28 6 speed Nothing major done. I have bought the car used. The car came with exhaust<simple flowmaster> BBK 80mm Throttle body with a cold air intake and MSG Plug wires running AcDelco iridiums .. Recently I have started to notice an Odd noise. The noise is something compared to mid or low grade rattle. It also is Very Noticeable when cold(steady mid grade rattle). After warming up the noise somewhat goes away and is only between the 2000 and 3000 rpm range. This sound when warm, is not noticeable under a load, just when you are lightly shifting gears between 2 and 3 k. in other words when you are letting off the gas. If you just take the car up between 2 and 3 K and hold the gas the sound stays steady as long as you are on flat land.

Thanks
Old 02-09-2008, 08:38 PM
Staging Lane

HEy buddy sweet buy...how much did you pay?......Ok I'm new 2 the forum but not to the motor...Sounds like the "Infamous Piston Slap"......Actually alot of lsx engines do it....
But what do you mean only on flat land?........Ok well then it can be so many things man shiate.....Do you know what conrod/spun bearings sound like.....Honestly if you want any info you need to explain better....It will only help yourself out in the long run.....
Trust me these guys are fricking geniuses.......
Pm if u need 2 chat....
Old 02-10-2008, 02:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to LS1tech.

Check the heat shields under the car. Check that the exhaust hangers are all tight and that the pipes are not making contact anywhere.

Mine was making a similar rattle to what you describe. It was caused by a loose exhaust hanger at the rear, on the passenger side.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:30 PM
Teching In

I payed 10 000 for the car.. but for as good as shape the car is in it was worth it. Flat land Meaning NOT under load. Yes I have Checked all the heat shields and all... ok can someone explain to me what piston slap sounds like ?