Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove the rear main seal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 05:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove the rear main seal?

I'm in the middle of a trans rebuild on my 99 T/A and have the trans out, clutch/flywheel off, just got the pilot bearing out (oddly enough i had no problems there, and no i didnt use the grease packing method either) and am replacing the rear main seal as preventative maintenance while I'm there. (Right now it looks perfectly fine with no leaks, but I've got 120k on the clock and I'd rather not do all this again in the near future) I did some searching on how to remove it and everyone seems to just say "remove and put in the new one". I must be missing something, because I can't get this thing out for the life of me. I'm tempted to remove the 12 bolts that hold the cover to the seal and pop it out that way, but I read in a different thread that it's hard to get re-aligned once you take that off. What's the easiest way to pop that seal out with that cover still on there? All I've seemed to accomplish is chiseling away some of the rubber material of the seal on the bottom access slit.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

under all that rubber is a hard ring. I had to beat the crap out of mine with a hammer and screwdriver until i finaly bent the seal up enough to pull it out.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Just take the cover off. If you want to, drop the oil pan a bit as well and that should take care of the alignment part. I took mine off when I replaced the seal.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:13 PM
On The Tree

Take the cover off. Just did it on mine when i changed the trans because it was leaking a little. No problem with alignment and the leak stopped.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

The easiest way (and least damaging to the ring seats) is to remove the rear cover. Alignment of the cover is best done with the oil pan removed. Take the time, do it right, so you won't have to get in there again for some time. Yes, I did it wrong, and had to remove the drivetrain from my old SS 3 more times just to get the rear seal aligned correctly.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:49 AM
Staging Lane

OK, so if I remove the rear cover, will I need to replace it's gasket or can that be reused? If not, is that readily available from parts stores or will I need to make a trip to the dealer? About how much is it?
Old 02-13-2008, 07:35 AM
On The Tree

You "can" reuse the gasket, but they're about $20 at the dealer, less at autozone I believe. And please tell me you've got a manual for all this, right? If not, pick up a Haynes and start reading!
Old 02-13-2008, 08:55 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Camaro_SS
You "can" reuse the gasket, but they're about $20 at the dealer, less at autozone I believe. And please tell me you've got a manual for all this, right? If not, pick up a Haynes and start reading!
No Haynes...I've had them for previous cars but I always found them to never have enough information when it came time to do something like this. I'm using the clutch install how-to from install-university which has guided me through everything but the rear main. Price of the gasket really wasn't a concern to me as much as how much of a bitch it would be to get re-aligned. I also had just changed the oil not too long ago and was hoping to not have to drop the pan since german castrol is expensive and impossible to find around here.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:59 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by transAm-98
under all that rubber is a hard ring. I had to beat the crap out of mine with a hammer and screwdriver until i finaly bent the seal up enough to pull it out.

Thats what I do.

I dont know what kind the OP bought but the Delco ones are alot nicer than the ones that come in the Felpro kits.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:01 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jordan S.
Thats what I do.

I dont know what kind the OP bought but the Delco ones are alot nicer than the ones that come in the Felpro kits.
I bought the "genuine GM" one with the white plastic alignment piece included (the "revised" version I guess).
Old 05-31-2008, 07:04 AM
TECH Resident

Scan from my Hayne's manual showing the removal of the seal:

Hope this helps someone.

Last edited by Snootch; 05-31-2008 at 08:35 AM.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you take the cover off, dont lose the little barbell piece or you will not have oil pressure
Old 05-31-2008, 11:32 AM
TECH Regular

I'm pretty sure Kent Moore, GM etc make an actual rear main seal install/removal tool. The part number is J-41479. If you do the flathead screwdriver tactic just be very careful not to gouge the **** out of the block. It is aluminum to it very malleable. Sometimes those rear mains can be a real PITA.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Snootch
Scan from my Hayne's manual showing the removal of the seal:

Hope this helps someone.
That's not an LS1. Might be the LT1.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:46 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by massls1guy
That's not an LS1. Might be the LT1.
Ya Im not sure what that is, but I dont remember my rear main looking anything like that. Ill have to have a look again when I get home..

Quick Reply: How to remove the rear main seal?