Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valvetrain Opinions Wanted Please...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 11:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Valvetrain Opinions Wanted Please...

Aright.. i got this car a little over a month ago.. 99 LPM z28, 6sp, onlything it had on it when i got it was a lid, filter, and a v-force muffler, it has the xs stainless headers and ory on there now, (which im very very happy with.. also i ordered them off ebay for 439$ shipped..) soon after the header install and a slave cylinder install (done at the same time) it started clicking.. bad.. took the valve cover off.. noticed one of my lifters where loose from side to side.. bearings were going out.. so i ordered comp hi tech 7.4" push rods and 1.75 shaft mount roller rockers.. and kept driving it until my parts came in.. well i was driving and all of a sudden.. it quit ticking... but only running on 7 cylinders.. (keep in mind this is my dd and i have nothing else to drive and thats the only reason i kept driving it) pulled the valve cover off and pulled out the push rod where the rocker was loose.. and it freakin looked like a wammy bar off a guitar.. thats how bad it was bent.. luckily it got stuck next to the rocker and didnt bounce around or anything.. so i get my parts in.. was going to put one push rod in until i got to use the shop (i work at a bmw shop, so i get to use all their tools and toys and what not) so i put the rod in.. and its short about half an inch... wondering wtf was going on i pulled another rod out.. same length.. put the rod back in to see what was going on.. and the lifter was blown.. you could push on the rod and it would go down a lil.. because it wasnt bled or anything.. so... i told you all this to tell another story lol.. i ordered these parts.. Comp XER273HR..(224/230 .581 .588 on 114) 1.75 Shaft mounted roller rockers, which will really make the lift about .598 .605.. Comp Hi-Tech 7.4" Push rods, Comp R Lifters, Lunati springs.. (same as the 918's.. they were out of the 918's) and of course head gaskets and head bolts.. im going to do a mild port and polish on the heads also.. what numbers you think it will have?? lope any?? how much of a pita is it to do this with the motor inside the car still?? any comments would be greatly appreciated.. never done heads or cam in a ls1... thanks much!!!
Old 02-11-2008, 11:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

You have to use the Comp R lifters with Adjustable Rockers. I hope you took that into account, but everything else looks pretty good. Great perks to be able to work on your car with all of the goods for nothing. NICE!
Old 02-11-2008, 11:55 PM
Launching!

yeah i just realized i needed adj rockers with the comp r's... which sucks cuz i dont have adjustable rockers.. i ordered the wrong ones i guess.. ill have to call the dudes and send em back and order the other ones..
Old 02-12-2008, 01:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

i got some adjustible ones
Old 02-12-2008, 01:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

go to ls1howto.com
Old 02-12-2008, 07:35 PM
Launching!

im going to exchange them for the OE replacements i guess.. they told me i could.. and i dont think they have the problems the r's have..