Sponsored by:

Cam Advice, newb ( long )

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 12:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cam Advice, newb ( long )

Hey guys,

I am looking for a cam setup. I have about a ~$2k budget. First of all, I need to know if a cam is even feasible with this amount of money. I've priced a lot of things out and it looks like I can afford everything but an intake manifold ( not sure how important it is, guess it depends on cam ). I was recommended this by a friend who has built several Gen I's himself. Yes, they run very well; I ride in them to school all the time.

Duration@ .50 250/246 .596/.596 114 ( or something at least close to it )

This is for my 99 WS6 Trans Am ( daily driver, drag/road race every now and then, don't care about gas ). I basically have a stock internal engine. I have a full exhaust ( LT's + H-pipe ), performabuilt lvl2 with a 3500stall ( lockup ), 3.73's, tune,air lid, NGK plugs, MSD wires, blah blah blah. It also has ~150k miles. It runs strong for being so old, dyno's 328rwhp/328rwtq.

Stock spec's for my engine are
Duration@.50 198.86/209.25 .498/.497 119.45

I had Compcams recommend this
http://www.compperformancegroupstore...Category_Code=
( ^^No online spec's , I have to call tomorrow for them, pn: 54-444-11 )

I know I am going to need:
Cam ( obviously )
Double roller Timing chain
LS6 ( or better ) oil pump
Tune
Pushrods ( not sure what stock length is )
Valve springs ( I have 918's in my closet unused )
Gaskets, misc crap, etc

I know it's good to have these,
Roller Rockers
Stud Girdle?
Depends ( incase I **** myself because its so fast )
Cam bearings?
Intake manifold ( would be nice )
Valves/guides/seats/keepers? ( do I even need to rip off the heads? )
Bottom end work?
Spring retainers?
Hydraulic Lifters?

So, I am asking what do ya'll think? Any recommendations or suggestions would be welcome. I am not too sure what parts for a build are super important and what are not; but I want to do things once and do things right. I am not interested in half assing things until I get more money. Please throw me some advice.

I've read through the stickies but I am new to the cam world so you guys will have to excuse me if I don't understand things here and there.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:48 PM
TECH Junkie

i don't think that cam will work on a street driven car...its on the HUGE side of things. gen 1s are a totally different animal than the LSx gen 3/4 engines.

instead of just saying you want a big cam...how bout a power goal.

400rwhp? 425rwhp? more??

there are alot of good cams that can put you at the 400rwhp make easily with stock heads and decent driveabilty. to get more than that it will really start to cut down on the DD-ness of the car.

some things

918s are not bad. but for a cam pushing .6" lift...i'd step up to some duals.

no need for roller rockers...stockers are roller at the stud already...just not tip. and alot of guys run 450+rwhp with stockers.

stud girdle? you mean on the rockers? not needed really.

cam bearings? only if you pull the motor apart i think.

intake manifold is a MUST do for a cam swap. the ls6 intake will easily free up 10-15hp on a cammed application. you'll really choke your setup if you don't change it.

no need to change valves or the other stuff. but some good ti locks and retainers would be a good choice...but that's $$$

lifters require the removal of the heads....so that's your call.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by teke184
i don't think that cam will work on a street driven car...its on the HUGE side of things. gen 1s are a totally different animal than the LSx gen 3/4 engines.

instead of just saying you want a big cam...how bout a power goal.

400rwhp? 425rwhp? more??

there are alot of good cams that can put you at the 400rwhp make easily with stock heads and decent driveabilty. to get more than that it will really start to cut down on the DD-ness of the car.

some things

918s are not bad. but for a cam pushing .6" lift...i'd step up to some duals.

no need for roller rockers...stockers are roller at the stud already...just not tip. and alot of guys run 450+rwhp with stockers.

stud girdle? you mean on the rockers? not needed really.

cam bearings? only if you pull the motor apart i think.

intake manifold is a MUST do for a cam swap. the ls6 intake will easily free up 10-15hp on a cammed application. you'll really choke your setup if you don't change it.

no need to change valves or the other stuff. but some good ti locks and retainers would be a good choice...but that's $$$

lifters require the removal of the heads....so that's your call.

+1 For what teke184 said, this is a relativley big Cam. And good set of dual springs are allways a good idea for a 'higher' lift application! Good Luck Bro!
Old 02-13-2008, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah forget most of that other stuff you thought you needed to have, just get the intake manifold which is around $325 shipped in the classified section.

that cam is huge. if your staying stock heads with a 3500 rpm converter id go TR230. reverse split and got a nice little power curve with a 111lsa for lope. good for daily driving too. call thunder if you need to know more about that one
Old 02-13-2008, 02:36 PM
TECH Resident

that cam is too big for a ls7...look at some smaller stuff...i just spec'd a cam that seems to be nice but we will see.lol
Old 02-13-2008, 07:44 PM
Launching!

Yeah, I am looking around the ~400+rwhp area. That would be nice. I'll check into the TR230 tonight and see whats up.

I still want to get a double roller if I can afford it but I can stick to a single.

Thanks guys!
Old 02-13-2008, 08:50 PM
TECH Regular

I'll put a cam in your car for $2k lol! I did cam and heads both for ~$2300 and an LS6 intake for another $325. Shop carefully and read, read, read on this board and you will find the right cam. Have fun!!
Old 02-14-2008, 01:47 AM
Launching!

Ok, I have dumb question. What is the difference between reverse split and split pattern?

99-TR230/224-111 Thunder Racing Custom Camshaft
"Reverse Split" - 230/224 .575/.563 111 LSA

99-TR230/236-112 Thunder Racing Custom Camshaft
"Split Pattern" - 230/236 .592/.602 112 LSA
Old 02-14-2008, 02:06 AM
12 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sp00rkz
Ok, I have dumb question. What is the difference between reverse split and split pattern?

99-TR230/224-111 Thunder Racing Custom Camshaft
"Reverse Split" - 230/224 .575/.563 111 LSA

99-TR230/236-112 Thunder Racing Custom Camshaft
"Split Pattern" - 230/236 .592/.602 112 LSA
Its referring to the intake and exhaust duration of the cams

Reverse Split means that the intake(230) is open longer than the exhaust(224)

Split Pattern is the opposite where the exhaust is open longer.

And lastly you have a Traditional Split cam where they are both open for the same duration ie. 228/228

A reverse split cam is better for your current application. Its good if you dont have the best intake flow and if you have full exhaust. What it does is allow more air into the cylinders. So since you have a LS1 intake you would benefit from it because the flow isnt as good as LS6.
But if in the future you plan to get heads and intake you would benefit more from a single pattern or a traditional cam.

As for a timing chain it seems a lot of people had good luck and upgraded to a LS2 chain(which is thicker than your LS1). its between 40-50 bucks most places.

Im no cam expert but have research a lot when lookin into a cam myself and there are so many factors to take into account. Its worth it to just talk with Patrick G. he is a cam guru on this forum and can tailor a cam specific for your application. Hope all this helps and good luck!!!!
Old 02-14-2008, 05:42 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by sp00rkz
Hey guys,

I am looking for a cam setup. I have about a ~$2k budget. First of all, I need to know if a cam is even feasible with this amount of money. I've priced a lot of things out and it looks like I can afford everything but an intake manifold ( not sure how important it is, guess it depends on cam ). I was recommended this by a friend who has built several Gen I's himself. Yes, they run very well; I ride in them to school all the time.

Duration@ .50 250/246 .596/.596 114 ( or something at least close to it )

This is for my 99 WS6 Trans Am ( daily driver, drag/road race every now and then, don't care about gas ). I basically have a stock internal engine. I have a full exhaust ( LT's + H-pipe ), performabuilt lvl2 with a 3500stall ( lockup ), 3.73's, tune,air lid, NGK plugs, MSD wires, blah blah blah. It also has ~150k miles. It runs strong for being so old, dyno's 328rwhp/328rwtq.

Stock spec's for my engine are
Duration@.50 198.86/209.25 .498/.497 119.45

I had Compcams recommend this
http://www.compperformancegroupstore...Category_Code=
( ^^No online spec's , I have to call tomorrow for them, pn: 54-444-11 )

I know I am going to need:
Cam ( obviously )
Double roller Timing chain
LS6 ( or better ) oil pump
Tune
Pushrods ( not sure what stock length is )
Valve springs ( I have 918's in my closet unused )
Gaskets, misc crap, etc

I know it's good to have these,
Roller Rockers
Stud Girdle?
Depends ( incase I **** myself because its so fast )
Cam bearings?
Intake manifold ( would be nice )
Valves/guides/seats/keepers? ( do I even need to rip off the heads? )
Bottom end work?
Spring retainers?
Hydraulic Lifters?

So, I am asking what do ya'll think? Any recommendations or suggestions would be welcome. I am not too sure what parts for a build are super important and what are not; but I want to do things once and do things right. I am not interested in half assing things until I get more money. Please throw me some advice.

I've read through the stickies but I am new to the cam world so you guys will have to excuse me if I don't understand things here and there.
Do your self a huge favor and spec out a real custom cam for your application. The cam you mentioned isn't even realistic for you car. Considering it is your DD, smaller is better. A 222/226 .563/.563 on a 114 lsa would be a great cam for your car and it would work well with the converter you already have. Sure it doesn't have BIG numbers but it will kick the **** out of the cam you previously mentioned. I recommend buying an LS6 intake also since it is a 99 f-body. It will work well with the cam I mentioned. This cam I mentioned should make 370-390rwhp in an A4 car that is properly tuned through a locked converter. It should also have a nasty torque curve and more importantly it will be daily drivable. Not saying you have to go in this direction but bigger is not better for application. Good Luck...
Old 02-19-2008, 09:42 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I think Comp made a good recommendation. The cam they mentioned is a 224/230 .581/.588 114LSA. From what it sounds like you are looking for it is a good starting point for what you should look into. That cam your friend suggested -no offense- is WAY out of the leauge of you are looking for.

I've got several different comp cams in stock between 222/224 and 232/234. I can get you a pretty good deal on all of the parts you are looking into to help you afford a few more of the parts you want.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 03-04-2008, 09:56 AM
Launching!

Hey guys. Thought I'd give you an update.

Thanks for all your help so far! It has really put me on the right track.

I ended up going with a Futral FM12 230/230 .595/.595 112. It's a little big but thats what I want. Not concerned about streetabilitly as much as I am concerned with fun factor.

Other things I bought for the install:

LS6 Intake ( still pending, hopefully )
Adjustable Single roller Timing Chain
Melling 296 Oil Pump
Patriot Dual Gold Valve Spring kit. ( My 918's are part of a recall. They are sending me new ones though )
Futral 7.4" chromemoly pushrods
Misc other parts, oil, antifreeze, spring tool, gaskets, etc...