Sponsored by:

Guru's pls help?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Guru's pls help?

Hey Guys,

OK, here is my situation. I'm building a V6 roller. I have all the things needed for the swap.

The dilema is power plants...

The engine from my donor Z28 has 100K miles on it. Thats not really a problem. But I found a great deal on a LQ4 short block that is in good shape. Cyl have crosshatching,no ridge etc.

I could either keep the LS1 throw a cam,oil pump and timing chain on/in it,spray it and call it a day,save and replace it w/ a 6.0 down the road.

OR...Sell the Long block,and that would give me enough money for the LQ4,LS6 heads,and the headgaskets/bolts I'd need to make it a long block.

So here is the question..Which do you think is a better move? The LQ4 obviosuly has the advantage of more cubes,but is down a lil on comp. hence the 243 heads, to raise it (I just bought LS6 heads BTW)

Now The trans I am using is a built 4L60E w/ a 4k art car stall.

The car will get driven weekly (maybe 3-4 days) And 90% of the ride to work is highway. (15miles)

My goal is 11's on motor. Which shouldn't be hard. I was thinking With the LQ4 block, LS6 heads and maybe a MS3 or something in the 24x/24x range would get me in the 11's no problem. And a LS6 intake of course.

How does that set-up sound? And please give me your opinions. I consider myself a pretty knowlegable guy,but alot of your have been down these roads before and know what works.

Or I can keep the LS1,and throw those LS6 heads on it w/ a decent sized cam. But will the LQ4 give me that HP/TQ edge w/ the same set-up since it has that extra C.I?

I figure with this set-up I'll have the power to keep me happy for a little bit, then work on suspension and eventually my end goal is a low compression 6.0 w/ rods and pistons for some boost. But thats not for maybe another 1-2yrs

Any help is appreciated and sorry for the story. Just trying to gather my info to make the right moves

Joe
Old 02-14-2008, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

If your goal is only 11s on motor stick with what you have. LS1 is good for a LOT of power...and since you already have it, use it. Shove a came in it and call it a day. If you really want a different motor, go with the 6.2 or whatever the hell the l92 is. Lots of guys putting down over 500 to the wheels with a cam and bolt ons.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well then if i go the LS1 route, should I put those LS6 heads on there too? They are stock w/ a 3angle job done.

And will the MS3 work ok with the LS6 heads,or will the PTV be close? Or should I pick another cam,like a 232/236?
Old 02-15-2008, 07:12 AM
12 Second Club

cam will work on ls1 with 243 heads. id stick some new rod bolts in that ls1 put the ls6 heads on it and the ms3 cam and call it a day. u said u wanted to save for a 6 liter, id put this ls1 in there, do ur rear end first then the suspension and whenever u get the money buy urself the 6.0
Old 02-15-2008, 12:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok sounds good.. Thanks for the help guys. Its greatley appreciated