Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well, got my dyno numbers.....lower than I hoped. UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 04:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Well, got my dyno numbers.....lower than I hoped. What next?

I know how you feel, my numbers are less than I expected
and this is with 28-29 degrees of timing
Old 07-14-2003, 05:10 PM
Launching!

i have close to the same setup as you.m6 w/ moser 12 w/ 4.11's, tea 5.3 heads,tr 224 cam, asp pulley, qtp merge headers, 17x11 TTII'S, etc. my car put close numbers to yours. 414.9 rwhp and 396.5 ft ilbs. i was a little upset as well. but its through a 12 bolt and big wheels. so its not to shaby. those are just numbers. let your car do the talking at the track. thats were it counts!
Old 07-14-2003, 05:24 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmmm.. You cant always believe the #'s that are posted on this board.. We have a local guy who went to ATL and dyno'd. he dyno'd 390 something to the wheels. He made no changes and dyno'd here in Florida and could not even get 370rwhp on the dyno. A/F and everything looked fine.. I know different dynos's show different #'s, but dynojets are suppose to calculate those factors.. I have driven all over Florida and all my dyno's are the same..
Old 07-14-2003, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Easy for you to say, you have 412 rwhp
Spanky, where did you Dyno at? Speed Inc.? If so their dyno seems to read a little low compared to some others, FWIW the guy that dynoed his C5 over there a week or so ago and put down 445, from what I read that was the highest NA stock bottom end car they've ever had on the dyno. He had a G5X cam big $$ GTP LS6 heads and a stock IRS (I believe.) It's a far cry from the dime a dozen 440+RWHP cars that seem to all be in TX. They're much fewer and far between up north.....

Wherever you went, you'd get the numbers with a stock rear/wheels, CF driveshaft, aluminum FW, and on open Y pipe especially on a cooler day. I only put down 420 with all the boltons, through a 12 bolt, full exhaust, and an X1 cam and stage II LS6 heads. So I'd say you aren't too far off.
Old 07-14-2003, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ive said this before, DYNO NUMBERS DONT MEAN JACK!
I have a friend with ARE S2 Heads, Big Cam, ALL BOLT ONS, LT's etc, and only dynoed 318 To the Wheels! That just sucked, but hes putting down 11.70's. On 150 shot, he went a best of 10.40@around 125. Weve put it on the dyno numerous times and he always dynos in the same range. Those are damn good numbers, Congrats
Old 07-14-2003, 07:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Ive said this before, DYNO NUMBERS DONT MEAN JACK!
I have a friend with ARE S2 Heads, Big Cam, ALL BOLT ONS, LT's etc, and only dynoed 318 To the Wheels!
Old 07-14-2003, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah man like said above dont play this game. Dynojets do vary ALOT place to place, not to mention that a lot of the time #s posted here have other dyno tricks (shortbelt, Al Flywheel, CF driveshaft, no filter installed, ....) I think your numbers look great. Your timing is DEAD ON for a safe tune with your A/F. Just go out and have fun with it.
Old 07-14-2003, 07:17 PM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Unfortunately taking your car around the block and looking at the ATAP #'s isn't going to tell you too much. You really need to know what the car is doing in 4th gear on the dyno. You may have low ignition timing or worse yet KR.

My main concern isn't your HP (you have a good number) it's your low torque output (373.7). You should be a lot closer to 400 with the cam you have. This is why I suspect your exhaust isn't living up to it's potential.

As mentioned earlier, with your low mileage, it's possible that the motor isn't fully broken in yet either.

An easy test for the exhaust would be to take it to the track and see if you pick up any MPH with open headers vs your CAT back. I know that my exhaust system probably makes more power capped up than open headers.
Old 07-14-2003, 07:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is a low TQ # usually a result of a restrictive exhaust? The TQ curve is broad, with 300 ft/lbs at 2700 rpm, and 350+ from 3900-6200 rpm, just seems like low peak numbers to me. (Comparitively)

JF WS6- It was dynoed at Speed, INC. They seemed pleased with the numbers, and the car gained 14 hp and 11 tq with tuning.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is a low TQ # usually a result of a restrictive exhaust? The TQ curve is broad, with 300 ft/lbs at 2700 rpm, and 350+ from 3900-6200 rpm, just seems like low peak numbers to me. (Comparitively)

JF WS6- It was dynoed at Speed, INC. They seemed pleased with the numbers, and the car gained 14 hp and 11 tq with tuning.
That's a decent pickup with tuning.... I just wanted to put things in perspective for you that other H/C cars that have dynoed there haven't really been putting down #'s like you see from the TX. guys... it is tough to get big numbers out of the Speed Inc. dynojet. I wouldn't be dissappointed with the #'s..... you're right in there with the other cars that have dynoed there. I was talking to a guy who dynoed at 401 to the wheels there and his car is pretty quick. He ran 11.1's on motor with a 226 cam, so just goes to show the #'s aren't everything. You said your car is a beast right?
Old 07-14-2003, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A couple of things--
I have a hooker catback, and picked up about 8rwhp and 5 rwtq with a 3" cutout behind the passenger seat on the intermidiate pipe -- So for a cheap mod Id say try that and see how much you can get.

Try dynoing with some regular tires, and give them about 35psi of air cold, or at least make sure the tires you are running do not have like 14psi in them. That should put you more of level with some of the others.

The bigger numbers that I have seen are running 5.3 (compression)or LS6 heads (generally higher flow, but the LS1 heads are look pretty good too now).

I think you could use a bit more timing, more in the 30 range. Put more timning in until you start getting knock, then back it off a couple notches.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

did you dyno before the head swap? You shouldnt need a light weight flywheel to make the big #s like all of the above TEA #s. GTP and ABSOLUTE SPEED dont seem to need them. Im sure speed incs. dyno isnt off by 20 hp. and if you think going up a point in compresion is even worth 5 hp you got alot to learn.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

GTP STG 2 heads, MTI X1, with Jayson tuning the **** out of her...95,000 miles at original tune...made over 400 thru the wheels, thru a slipping auto...with an LS1 INTAKE.

I'm running 30degrees of timing, tr6 plugs, have ZERO KR, couldn't be happier....
Old 07-14-2003, 09:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh, another thing, yes dyno numbers are a tool, but personally I feel they are a better gauge of power than the track. For example, I consistantly put down slower ETs because I dont power shift and run full weight. I dont use a shortbelt and generally I run at a high elevation track. Ive seen people run other people's car and gain .7 ET and 5 mph just in driving skill alone (I saw one post by Chris ARE 360, and ive seen many others at the track). So the track is just another gauge, not the end all.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

First off I think your numbers are good.I did 443 with a 10 bolt but the dyno is conservative. I will be getting the 12 bolt soon with 4.30's.I plan on dynoing at the same dyno and then another dyno. I expect at most 5 rwhp loss between the numbers on the conservative dyno and the numbers (with 12 bolt)on the accutate dyno.
But I say this a lot.Mikey from Rapid never dynoed over 420 with his car when it was an M6 with h/c.His best was 11.20. My car dynoed with boltons 333 rwhp on that same dyno I dynoed my car with the h/c.I went high 11's and low 12's with that combo. So as other people have said...DONT GET HUNG UP ON DYNO NUMBERS

EDIT maybe the headers are holding you back.Everyone you listed had a grot style or equivilant.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

Default Re: Well, got my dyno numbers.....lower than I hoped. UPDATE

Shawn, you have some mail
Old 07-14-2003, 11:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Default Re: Well, got my dyno numbers.....lower than I hoped. UPDATE

AC Delco plugs?

Might be worth trying a fresh set of TR55's. Plug wires in good condition? The heat from the headers can be pretty hard on a set of stock wires after a while.

New fuel filter?

Last time the injects got a can of cleaner?

Clean air filter?

I know these things sounds stuipd, but sometimes they can start to add up.

With the headers were the welds in the primaries cleaned up? My Hooker headers had a few spots that would have cost some power etc.

Is the clutch slipping any?

My car made 418rwhp with TEA heads but you could smell the clutch after the dyno pull.
Old 07-19-2003, 10:20 AM
Staging Lane

That's a decent pickup with tuning.... I just wanted to put things in perspective for you that other H/C cars that have dynoed there haven't really been putting down #'s like you see from the TX. guys... it is tough to get big numbers out of the Speed Inc. dynojet. I wouldn't be dissappointed with the #'s..... you're right in there with the other cars that have dynoed there. I was talking to a guy who dynoed at 401 to the wheels there and his car is pretty quick. He ran 11.1's on motor with a 226 cam, so just goes to show the #'s aren't everything. You said your car is a beast right?
With tr224/GTP 5.7 unmilled,ported TB, ORP, full exhaust, stock pulley and a fresh motor I pulled 409 RWHP and 391 TQ at Speed Inc. I think from personal and past posts that Speed Incs dyno reads on conservative side. I think we will both be pleased once we make it to the track. Larry plans on doing a second dyno tune on the motor breaks in. Cruised down to Lake of the Ozarks last weekend and put on another 500 miles.Another 500 to 1000 miles and I will swich to redline and see what was gained from break in.

Greg
Old 07-19-2003, 05:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

ive been in the market for heads for my vette about a year now, I will be blunt it seems everyone with tea heads are disapointed with there results, there always down a good 20-30 hp from were they should be, on one of the other boards Im a member of, a guy claimed only 12 hp gains from teas stg2 on his cam only car, i dont mean to be knocking them but there is a pattern, the only cars that seem to have good tea numbers are guys that seem to be related to them,
is it me or is there a pattern, I know I dont want to be putting any head on my baby thats consistanly down on power
Old 07-19-2003, 10:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

ive been in the market for heads for my vette about a year now, I will be blunt it seems everyone with tea heads are disapointed with there results, there always down a good 20-30 hp from were they should be, on one of the other boards Im a member of, a guy claimed only 12 hp gains from teas stg2 on his cam only car, i dont mean to be knocking them but there is a pattern, the only cars that seem to have good tea numbers are guys that seem to be related to them,
is it me or is there a pattern, I know I dont want to be putting any head on my baby thats consistanly down on power
That's the biggest bunch of B.S. that I have read in a while. This post is an OBVIOUS flame, totally unsubstantiated in ALL regards. If you would, use the SEARCH feature at the top regarding TEA's heads. They're probably the most CONSISTENT heads to put down good #s. Show me the proof of your claims. I can pull up enough posts of THRILLED customers that use/used TEAs heads just on this board, not to mention others on the Corvetteforum, etc.