Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well, got my dyno numbers.....lower than I hoped. UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 11:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Default Re: Well, got my dyno numbers.....lower than I hoped. What next?

ive been in the market for heads for my vette about a year now, I will be blunt it seems everyone with tea heads are disapointed with there results, there always down a good 20-30 hp from were they should be.
I think my car is a very average TEA headed car. I don't have a true underdrive pulley like an ASP and my clutch was stinking at the end of the dyno pull, so I think it slipped a little. My car made 418rwhp SAE corrected at 5,900 rpm with TEA S2's a custom SRP224 cam and mail order tuning. If my car is down 30rwhp than I should be at 448rwhp with a 224 cam! 448rwhp is were the MTI LS6 headed X1 cam cars and GTP LS6 headed cars with similar bigger cams are at! I think the TEA's are decent heads but 448rwhp w/224 cam is expecting a little too much out of a set of CNC'd 5.3's without some hand porting touch ups to wring out every last drop of hp. Wait, I've not see many 224 cam'd cars make 448rwhp with anyones heads yet.

With tweaking Spanky's car will pick up a few more rwhp.

Old 07-20-2003, 09:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

99 black bird, in your sig you made 408 full ex, I always compare numbers through full ex, if some one posts numbers with a cutout I subtract 10-15. 408 is a solid 15-20hp low from the average gtp headed cars, I dont mean to be critical and pick on anyones car, Im trying to help and pick out the obviuos,
cannibal are you reading, look at the sigs in the posts on this thread, spanky feels his numbers are lower than expected, muscratmauler says his numbers are less then he expected, and nc z28 said, I was a little upset with my results
the only good hp car in the thread is fireball,s and he has GTP's, I read the same stuff as all you guys, these are facts I read and the conclusuion I come up with, Im not flaming anyone or tea, like blackbird said tea is a decent head, maybe you cant expect that much from a cnc'd head.
It just seems that everyone with cnc heads are a little disapointed with there results. like I said I read the same thing you reed, if you want I will do a search and hopefully im wrong, Im in the market myself for a set of heads and I would love if one of these cheaper cnc brand heads can make good power. it just doesnt seem like it with the posts I read
Old 07-20-2003, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

heres what i see alot of TEA headed cars are dynoing with LIGHT WEIGHT FLYWHEELS, and CUTOUTS. if Absolute Speed, GTP, JPR, MTI etc... cars all dyno'd with that stuff they would be putting up some very high dyno #'s. go ahead and do a search on that one.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the only good hp car in the thread is fireball,s and he has GTP's, I read the same stuff as all you guys, these are facts I read and the conclusuion I come up with, Im not flaming anyone or tea, like blackbird said tea is a decent head, maybe you cant expect that much from a cnc'd head.
It just seems that everyone with cnc heads are a little disapointed with there results. like I said I read the same thing you reed, if you want I will do a search and hopefully im wrong, Im in the market myself for a set of heads and I would love if one of these cheaper cnc brand heads can make good power. it just doesnt seem like it with the posts I read
?????????
See this:

***2002 Onyx Black SS M6
TEA Stage 2 5.3L heads, F1 cam, Moser 9 w/ custom center, 4.30 gears, SPEC Stage 5, Random Tech TA, BMR adj LCAs, Eradispeeds, Kooks LTs, Shaner TB, ASP pulley, Pro 5.0, SLP SFCs, 27 x 11.5 Hoosier QTPs, Custom Tuning
449rwhp, 399rwtq

***2001 Z28...
TEA Stg 2 Heads, TR 230/224 cam, Grott headers, Shaner Stg 2 TB, FTRA, True Dual Exhaust w/ X-Pipe, MTI lid, ASP pullies, moser 12 bolt w/ 4.11s, competition Hurst shifter, carbon fiber d/s, Mcleod Single Disk/Alum. Flywheel
440rwhp 401rwtq

Both of these cars dyno comparibly with Fireballs cars, without GTP heads , and with smaller camshafts .

heres what i see alot of TEA headed cars are dynoing with LIGHT WEIGHT FLYWHEELS, and CUTOUTS. if Absolute Speed, GTP, JPR, MTI etc... cars all dyno'd with that stuff they would be putting up some very high dyno #'s. go ahead and do a search on that one.
One of the 2 TEA headed cars in this thread have a lightweight flywheel, and I would be willing to bet that 99% of cars that have a cutout dyno with it open. I do not have one, it would be useless to me, as I would NEVER drive the car with the cutout open, I can't stand the way it sounds.

From what I've read and from the people I've talked to, its a tuning issue. I'm not completely happy with the $450 tuning I recieved, and will be addressing that shortly.... Thanks for all thew input, keep it coming, Shawn
Old 07-20-2003, 09:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

99 black bird, in your sig you made 408 full ex, I always compare numbers through full ex, if some one posts numbers with a cutout I subtract 10-15.
IMO most people dyno with an open exhaust either with a cut-out or similar. Most don't list both set of numbers, they just list the highest.

408 is a solid 15-20hp low from the average gtp headed cars, I dont mean to be critical and pick on anyones car, Im trying to help and pick out the obviuos,
I've said before in other threads I think GTP cars tend to be a ~8-10rwhp higher than TEA caars. Most guys that spend around $2,900 for GTP are wanting as much as they can get hp wise and will also use a cutout or dump out of the headers.

Spanky feels his numbers are lower than expected, muscratmauler says his numbers are less then he expected, and nc z28 said, I was a little upset with my results
Lot of cars take tweaking and tuning to get to get the numbers up opening the exhaust seems to help too. In my case the $$$ is tight after heads and cam, so I've not replaced the clutch or had the tuning tweaked at the dyno. Usually, folks that buy GTP's don't mind dropping the $$$ to do everything at once. The TEA cars that have all the stuff done seem to do pretty decent IMO.

the only good hp car in the thread is fireball,s and he has GTP's, I read the same stuff as all you guys, these are facts I read and the conclusuion I come up with
Thank you for your

, Im not flaming anyone or tea,
Thanks for letting me in on the because in my that' exactly what your doing and little else.

like blackbird said tea is a decent head, maybe you cant expect that much from a cnc'd head.
That's not what I said, I said:"I think the TEA's are decent heads but 448rwhp w/224 cam is expecting a little too much out of a set of CNC'd 5.3's without some hand porting touch ups to wring out every last drop of hp."

Handporting can get things CNC can't reach due to the size of the CNC tip.

Let's see if we can quite the pissing match over our differing opinions about TEA and focus on Spanky's car and helping him .

Old 07-20-2003, 10:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

From what I've read and from the people I've talked to, its a tuning issue. I'm not completely happy with the $450 tuning I recieved, and will be addressing that shortly.... Thanks for all thew input, keep it coming, Shawn

How can you not be happy with the tuning, when you haven't even taken the car too the Track? What is your goal? Have a Big Dyno # ?
Old 07-20-2003, 11:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My goal is to have dyno numbers comparable to other, similarly modded cars. The car pulls HARD, and is a blast to drive, I just felt my numbers are low (TQ especially), and wanted to know what mods I could improve on, etc. My car, untuned, barely running, dynoed 396.8HP and 362.6TQ. Shouldn't "Complete A/F table optimization for maximum HP, and Complete timing table optimization for maximum HP" have netted me more than 14HP and 11.1TQ? Just seemed like "These are good numbers, have fun with it, goodbye." My car was dynoed twice and tuned in ~40 mins.

I know you can't believe everything you read on the internet, but I have had multiple people tell me that 23* of timing is too low to produce any power, have any input on that?

Any idea why my TQ is so low? "Baby" cam cars are matching my TQ, and coming too close for comfort on my HP #s. Shouldn't TQ be up near 395-400ft/lbs?
Old 07-20-2003, 11:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Spanky,

With just over 3,000 miles on the car is it really broken in good yet?

I don't care for the sound of a cutout either, but for carshows, dynos, & the 1/4 their great. I think it would be worth $50. Leave it capped most of the time if you don't want the noise.