Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

controlling knock

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 05:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default controlling knock

It's been awhile since this problem reared all the way up on it's hind legs, but I've been sitting on it for awhile while workin on other stuff. At the track one day, I started out running fine, then my times started goin downhill. On one run, it sounded just like someone dumped a 50 lb bag of ball bearings into my engine. Not only that, but I threw an SES light then went away promptly when I turned on the return road. I never had an opportunity to get the code scanned, but I'm pretty sure it was knock. The entire day the car was running between 200 - 210*F. Short of going to a 160 thermostat to try and drop temps, Is there really anything else I should be looking into? Say for example new plugs? They're the stock plugs and one thought is that I'm getting deposits built up on them that are retaining heat. Sorry for the long post, but I'm trying to think outloud. Hopefully I'll get some criticism back too. Thanks guys.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: controlling knock

I'd say to try making a couple runs with Autotap on it to see what kind of results you get, but it definitely sounds like detonation. What octane fuel do you run?
Old 07-16-2003, 10:07 AM
On The Tree

I have a similar problem here in AZ but that is because we have the crappiest & most expensive gas in America. 91 octane
Old 07-16-2003, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

might try pulling a little timing if you have edit. if not, an IAT resistor mod might do it. if it's false knock, you can teflon the sensors, but if it's not it'll get worse.