Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Dyno # with stock heads and custom cam.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 07:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: New Dyno # with stock heads and custom cam.

Finally, someone who understands that there is more to cams then just the lift and duration. I am very interested in where your intake center line, intake closing point, exhaust opening and closing point are.

P.S. My 224/224 565/565 comp xe 110lsa 106icl cam made 380rwtq at 2900 and peaked out at 406at 4800 (417 uncorrected). My only complaint is its loss of power above 6000 rpm but it doesn't bother me as I don't like shifting the stock bottom end past 6400.
http://members.aol.com/blueflame6469/images/dyno2.jpg

And yes, it is on stock heads.
Old 07-17-2003, 07:50 PM
On The Tree

The cam was installed straight up.

DailyAluminumBlock:
Retard that cam! You'll get much better drivability & power out of it. I'd say 4-5 degrees will give the best results.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

I don't understand. I would think that I will get better power but not better driveability. With a 106icl I am closing the intake valve very soon which should really help boost low end power and driveability as it keeps the intake charge from being reverted back into the intake at lower rpms.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

By the way, I forgot to mention, NICE NUMBERS!!!
Old 07-17-2003, 08:35 PM
TECH Resident

Listen I have listened to my share of bull in this world and I have even bit a few times when I should not have but the truth is the truth and knowledge is power. I have been listening to guys tell me how much power they made with this cam or that cam but when I asked them why or talked to them about degreeing they just sat looking dumb. I talked a lot to 93PONY and the guy knows his ****. HE gave me th answers I was looking for. Although, he won't give you the answers. Of coarse as his lawyer I advised him against giving out years of hard earned knowledge. But he will build you a kick *** cam. Look at mine, its smog legal, makes peak HP at 6100 RPMs and idles smoothly at 700 RPMs. IF I ever figure out how to post the dyno sheet I will.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I make 404rwhp with MMS 220*/220* .585"/.585" on a 112*.
I ran this cam 6* advanced with sloppy stock timing chain(est. 108*ICL) It lost power badly on dyno but car ran best 60 ft. and all ET's and mph were better. This is with stock 3.42's and my stage 2 heads. Car needs at least 4.10s and i know this is main reason cam advance helped overall.Cam is in at 110* now with tight Rollmaster chain.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:52 PM
TECH Resident

I am running stock heads
Old 07-17-2003, 09:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

I did not mean to offend. I am no dummy when it comes to cam timing but I am no expert either. I was just saying that with a 106 icl verses a 112 like yours with my larger duration and narrower lsa retarding the cam would hurt driveability but help top end power.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:18 PM
TECH Addict

That is impressive, i chimed in because i wanted to confirm that a small 220* cam could make over 400rwhp. I am curious what your car will mph at track and what its weight is?
Old 07-17-2003, 09:28 PM
TECH Regular

great numbers man
Old 07-17-2003, 09:28 PM
TECH Resident

Its not the size that matters. Everything that I have ever read says if you need to pick a cam its always better to go a size or two smaller than you want. The secret is in the valve event and the type of lobes that we chose to run. I don't want to tell to much but if you want a bad *** cam email 93PONY, tell him the power you want, the rpms that you want to pull, how much drivabilty is important to you, and if smog is important. He will do the rest. He will even install it and degree it for you or if you live to far away he will tell you what to degree the cam at.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:34 PM
dug
Banned

Anyone know what the ICL is on the ls6 cam? I think the secret is to get the timing right that matches the intake and headers. The engine will make more torque this way. More torque means more hp without the need to rev the motor so high.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

hence a narrow lsa with a early intake closing point
Old 07-17-2003, 09:39 PM
TECH Addict

Dude, you dont have to tell me about lobe designs,if you dont think size matters your wrong.(This aplies to many things BTW) I have connections also at a major cam grinder. Im not questioning 93Pony's abilities, i dont have to read what other guys say makes power for camshafts, i am capable of determining a cams potential by interpreting its lobe specs and placement in regards to piston position and head flow plotting.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:55 PM
TECH Resident

Dude am am not saying that larger cams with good valve events and fast ramp rates wont make more power. My statement is mostly directed to those guys that buy a huge cam and thing they are going to run 11's. The cam has to be matched to the other components in the car. A lot of times you cam get the same or better results using a smaller cam. For example if I intend to leave my 3.42 gears, I dont want a 242/242 duration cam on a 106 lsa. Then there is smog, fuel milage, RPM's which can equal engine life), low and midrange power, etc. Going big and not changing the rest of the components on the car is worse than going small and not changing the other components in the car.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:59 PM
TECH Resident

Dude, you dont have to tell me about lobe designs,if you dont think size matters your wrong.(This aplies to many things BTW) I have connections also at a major cam grinder. Im not questioning 93Pony's abilities, i dont have to read what other guys say makes power for camshafts, i am capable of determining a cams potential by interpreting its lobe specs and placement in regards to piston position and head flow plotting.
Then why are posting. Just move on if you think you know it all and read carefully. Everyone knows a larger cam can get you more power if it is ground properly. But if the valve event are not optimized it will perform lower than a smaller cam. For example, my cam will make as much or more power than the TR224 at lower RPMs. Do you see my point. Larger is not alway better.
Old 07-17-2003, 10:33 PM
Teching In

I have a feeling that they could be using a D. Elgin Cam. These guys are pretty sharp. Here is there website. www.elgincams.com
Old 07-17-2003, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think the point thats trying to be made is a 220 isnt gonna make much with aftermarket heads..a 230+ will though...you make a great choice if your gonna keep your heads stock..but some want 430+whp so heads are needed and a big cam
Old 07-18-2003, 02:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Nice job with the numbers
Old 07-18-2003, 02:23 AM
On The Tree

Daily:
It's all about the exhaust reversion... Think about it.

I have a few other cams that'll make more power across the board & still pass the sniffer. With stock or ported heads...doesn't matter, but I prefer stock heads as most ported heads have a much larger cross-section to flow what they flow. This slows velocity through the heads...which in turn hurts torque output....& HP is TQ at RPM.
There are a few porters out there that know what their doing & don't port so much as clean up the air path. IMO a small cross-section is key in making power....it goes hand in hand with CFM #'s.