Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've searched...let's talk about a 383.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 11:43 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default I've searched...let's talk about a 383.

The best info I've found is from Tony Mamo's thread, thanks for posting all of that, it was very helpful. We were just notified about our yearly bonus at work, so now I'm thinking about shorblocks and rotating assemblies.

Right now I have a block that will be honed and cleaned at a local machine shop. I'm confident that I can install a rotating assembly myself once the block is prepped. What should it cost to have new cam bearings installed and the cylinders honed?

I've been looking at the Callies kit from Speed Inc. It includes the 4" Compstar crank, rods, Mahle pistons with rings and pins, ARP rod bolts, and rod and main bearings for $2400 and it's balanced. Seems like a pretty decent deal to me.

I have a set of stock '03 LS6 heads that I would like to use along with an LS6 intake. I've been thinking of having TEA do the Stage 1 porting so that I can keep my stock valves and have a good flowing head. I know the LS6 intake is somewhat of a restriction, but should be fine for roughly 450rwhp.

Camshaft...no idea. What would be a good choice. My thoughts are something in the low 230 duration on 114 LSA for nice streetable power.

Headers...1.75 or 1.875?

So what is everyone's opinion? I would like to use the block I have if possible. I think it would be the least expensive route. There seems to be more info about 383 LT1s than LS1s.

All replies are welcome, but give me some actual info...not just opinions with no explanation.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The callies assembly is a good choice. I am running one of their cranks in my 383. The ls6 intake will be a hold back, but should not be more than 30 rwhp. As for the heads I would step up to a stg 2 or 2.5. you will need around 320 cfm out of the heads. I am running 1 3/4 headers and there is no issues with them. For a cam I suggest the 239 243 from Futral. I know I along with others on this board are making great power with it.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mines using oil but a blast to drive, if i cant find a bigger bore block for sensible money, i am going to hone and re ring mine,As power is not really lacking, but you know what its like! The cam in mine is a great DD if you needed that.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks guys...anyone else wanna shed some light??
Old 02-28-2008, 11:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as far as the cam is concerned I would contact Patrick G and get one spec'd out. And your going to build alot of torque with the 4.0'' stroke, to aid that along I might recommend stepped headers. The help build torque as well. Edelbrock victor series and Kooks are the only two that make stepped headers for an F-body so your choices in that route are minimal, however I really like the Edelbrocks, they have a good fit and positive gains over non stepped primaries. IMHO