Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boola1341
does the engine have to be removed to replace the H/C, lifters and rods
nope.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Quickshift_C5
In 7 of the 8 pushrods I checked, the ball ends weren't touching the desk. The .003-.005 gaps I measured between desk and pushrod were shaft only.

Put everything back together for today, going to go for a test drive for a bit.

I would like to note one thing I found peculiar when reinserting the pushrods. The 2nd cylinder from the front on the passenger side, the exhaust valve pushrod...I could feel a grinding sensation when rotating and setting it against the lifter. I could not feel anything even remotely close to this with the other 7 pushrods. I coated it in a bit of oil from the top of the head and put it back in and pulled it out and there "some" metal shavings stuck to the oil on the end of the pushrod. I pushed it down again to see and I still felt that wierd grinding sensation, almost like tiny metal flakes were between the lifter and pushrod ball end. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. This is the only odd thing I noticed today.
worn lifter perhaps?

Any way that you could get a video or sound clip? I know I only have a V6 but I'm sure a bad lifter sounds the same. I had 5 lifters go bad on me all at once so I'm very familiar with the noise. Just need some audio to listen to and compare.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
worn lifter perhaps?

Any way that you could get a video or sound clip? I know I only have a V6 but I'm sure a bad lifter sounds the same. I had 5 lifters go bad on me all at once so I'm very familiar with the noise. Just need some audio to listen to and compare.
I might be able to get one soon, but I don't think today. I'll do my best to get one ASAP.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Stop chasing that damn tickin and drive the car. I know that it's annoying you. I know that you're tired of people saying, "Dude, why does your car sound like that" I chased my ticking to the tune of another $3000 in parts and labor. I ended up with no increase in performance and more valvetrain noise. I think the ticking or its ghost still hunts me from time to time. I with I'd spent my money on nitrous.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by RealLiveMD
Stop chasing that damn tickin and drive the car. I know that it's annoying you. I know that you're tired of people saying, "Dude, why does your car sound like that" I chased my ticking to the tune of another $3000 in parts and labor. I ended up with no increase in performance and more valvetrain noise. I think the ticking or its ghost still hunts me from time to time. I with I'd spent my money on nitrous.

Agree. If it blows down the road then fix it.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:42 PM
Staging Lane

I'm about to that point.

I just want to be sure that if I do ignore this ticking, that it won't turn into something major down the road. You know? If it's something minor now and might cost a few hundred bucks and some personal labor to fix, that would be ok compared to it causing a chain reaction somewhere down the line and having to replace the whole motor or redo the bottom end.

This is what I'm concerned about. Having just starting out and learning most of this stuff as I go along...I have no idea what I could be facing if I choose to ignore this.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Quickshift_C5
I might be able to get one soon, but I don't think today. I'll do my best to get one ASAP.
When you do PM me because I'll probably forget to check back otherwise...
Old 03-10-2008, 05:26 AM
Launching!

metal shavings are not a good thing anywhere inside the engine. sounds like a lifter is gonna let go. this is the procedure for installing rockers on an ls1.
Attached Thumbnails Chasing the damn ticking noise...-rocker_procedure.gif  
Old 03-10-2008, 09:21 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jetblast
metal shavings are not a good thing anywhere inside the engine. sounds like a lifter is gonna let go. this is the procedure for installing rockers on an ls1.
What book is that from?

How hard is it to swap the lifters and what do you do? I have a manual here that shows how to pull the lifter trays and swap them, but I think it might be a bit different on the LS1's.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To swap the lifters, you remove the heads and merely pull them out of the lifter tray. May as well replace the lifter trays too ($20 for LS2 style) since you're that far into it.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:28 PM
Staging Lane

I can see the tops of the lifters and inspect them for damage by just removing the intake manifold, right?
Old 03-11-2008, 01:30 AM
Launching!

no you have to pull the heads.