Sponsored by:

What Heads To Go With? Need MORE TQ

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 01:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
I have been thinking, and will prolly do the AFR heads with a 60cc combustion chamber. the AFR heads are 205cc right? Here is a dumb question, my 241 castings what size runners are they and combustion chambers??? Never mind the stock CC is 66.6....

I would not do 5.3 heads, since they are a stock casting and AFR is aftermarket.

Now as far as head gaskets go, i was thinking wither .030 or .040.. I would like my DCR to be around 8.8 or 8.9.. and with 60cc combustion chambers that will work, plus it will raise my SCR....

Jsut did some math with a stock bore 3.9

Right now as i sit with 66.6cc chambers and stock heads my SCR is 10.37 and my DCR is 8.28...

If i get heads with 60cc chambers and i go to .030 head gaskets my SCR will be 11.96 and my DCR will be 9.51

If i get heads with 60cc chambers and i go to .040 head gaskets my SCR will be 11.64 and my DCR will be 9.26

Now will that be too much compression on pump gas.. 93 octane? Also will i need to flycut?

What do you think?
Are you planning on forced induction ? If not I don't see why you would pay almost doubble for AFR when you can get the 5.3 heads from

TEXAS SPEED AND PERFORMANCE !!!
Old 03-12-2008, 01:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't know you had a 6.0 block... Well i will not hit THOSE numbers now lol...

Good to hear, seems like you got a beast now
why not? i have a stock bottom end ls1, comp 224 .581 112lsa, fast 90, patriot ls6 style stage II heads (59cc), lt/td's, lid and im putting down 437/404 not retuned after swapping out my slp lm for tsp td's...

he has a 6.0l block and im putting down nearly identical numbers and thats spending well under $1k less on the heads alone (not counting other expenses for getting a 6.0l block, etc) for only a difference of 9rwhp/12rwtq. im still not retuned and running extremely rich...

you have a slightly larger cam than im running so there is no reason why with the right set of heads that 440rwhp/400+ rwtq is easily achievalbe with your setup...

please note, im not slamming that guy's ride by any means, but dont sell yourself short either...
Old 03-12-2008, 03:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't know you had a 6.0 block... Well i will not hit THOSE numbers now lol...

Good to hear, seems like you got a beast now
meh... 346... 364... it's not that much bigger... I bet you could get close...
Old 03-12-2008, 04:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by wildta
Are you planning on forced induction ? If not I don't see why you would pay almost doubble for AFR when you can get the 5.3 heads from

TEXAS SPEED AND PERFORMANCE !!!

I do not see me doing FI in the future.

Why go with a stock set of casting heads????? Aftermarket will perform much better. DO it once and do it right
Old 03-12-2008, 05:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

well when i get the AFR heads we will see what i put down..

Still not sure what size combuation chambers to go with as well as head gasket
Old 03-12-2008, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I knew youd come through and get a set of heads for you beast. New kid or not i knew you were gettin them!
Old 03-12-2008, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks like you are on the right track! Since your cam is advanced, you would be well advised to go a little bigger than 60cc chambers. With a .040" gasket, 64 is all you really need. Personally, my plan is to run that same cam on a 110 or 109 ICL along with a 62cc combustion chamber. Either one gives ~ 8.82 DCR, but you would have a little more torque on the bottom.

As for gaskets, keep in mind that LS series engines have a positive deck clearance. In laymens terms, the piston actually protrudes out of the top of the cylinder .005" - .010". What that means to you is that a .030 thick gasket can put the piston .020" - .025" from the deck of the head - too close for safety at high rpms, and especially in a stick shift where mechanical over-rev (3-2 shift) is possible. In a stock short block, piston rock at TDC can bring it even closer.

Originally Posted by slow trap
with a ported 5.3 head with 60cc chambers and larger,lazier runners you may be able to get away with no detonation but i would be scared to bump dcr up over 9:0 with a set of afrs since they are quite a bit more efficient and have better cylinder fill in the bottom range so they may come closer to detonation
The AFR head would be less sensitive to detonation, all things being equal, than a stock casting. The dual quench chamber promotes a more active mixture and better squish than stock. The efficient chamber is one of the key factors to choose it over ported castings. That said, 8.8 is about the max I would go, and certainly not over 9.0 on 93 octane.

It would be interesting to see some data logs of two similar setups. Seems like KR might tell the story at large throttle openings and low engine speeds, if you can keep the tires from spinning
Old 03-12-2008, 07:58 PM
TECH Addict

i agree but an afr 205 cc runner almost always has better cylinder fill at lower rpms than a ported stock casting and will be making more power/tq in the lower rev range and even with the dual quench it will be just as likely to spark knock, unless you back down the timing which would be defeating the pourpose of the higher dcr . i'm no expert so my opinion is just that but if i was using an efficient afr head i would keep dcr in the 8.8-8.9 range, using an .040 gasket and mill accordingly.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

there some good info here. i will need to read it later tonight
Old 03-13-2008, 09:08 AM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much hp do 5.3s loose up top compared to the LS6s? And how much do they gain in the middle? There is like a $300 difference.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by CAMAROZ28AQUINO
I knew youd come through and get a set of heads for you beast. New kid or not i knew you were gettin them!

I know it was only a matter of time. I need to be solid 400+ RWHP/RWTQ
Old 03-13-2008, 05:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by hammertime
Looks like you are on the right track! Since your cam is advanced, you would be well advised to go a little bigger than 60cc chambers. With a .040" gasket, 64 is all you really need. Personally, my plan is to run that same cam on a 110 or 109 ICL along with a 62cc combustion chamber. Either one gives ~ 8.82 DCR, but you would have a little more torque on the bottom.

As for gaskets, keep in mind that LS series engines have a positive deck clearance. In laymens terms, the piston actually protrudes out of the top of the cylinder .005" - .010". What that means to you is that a .030 thick gasket can put the piston .020" - .025" from the deck of the head - too close for safety at high rpms, and especially in a stick shift where mechanical over-rev (3-2 shift) is possible. In a stock short block, piston rock at TDC can bring it even closer.

The AFR head would be less sensitive to detonation, all things being equal, than a stock casting. The dual quench chamber promotes a more active mixture and better squish than stock. The efficient chamber is one of the key factors to choose it over ported castings. That said, 8.8 is about the max I would go, and certainly not over 9.0 on 93 octane.

It would be interesting to see some data logs of two similar setups. Seems like KR might tell the story at large throttle openings and low engine speeds, if you can keep the tires from spinning
SO how do i get my DCR to be around 8.8 or 8.9? I think i need to do bigger combustion chambers like 62, 63, or 64...... B/C If i do 60cc with a .030 or .040 it puts me at 9.2-9.5. So smaller combustions chambers i will need then.. But i will be sacraficing some TQ... So another question is what size gasket do i want to run since the pistion has a positve deck clearance.. I would assume .040?

Now can someone explain this quench to me?
Old 03-13-2008, 05:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by EarlSS
Which flow #'s for a head...the low low lift or the high lift make the most difference in torque and power under the curve.
I think I know the answer to this question, but I would like to hear from the experts. Not looking for dyno queens with the most HP but usable ( largest area ) under the curve.

I know which way I will build, when the time comes which will be very soon.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jonas do you think that you might be overlooking the Trickflows?
If you want the power under the curve and raise the torque, wouldn't that make the CNC-ported heads with 13.5 degree valve angles, decreased valve shrouding, increased mid-lift airflow, relocated spark plugs, improved rocker arm-to-valve cover clearance be what your looking for? Just my .02 cents and nothing against the AFR folks!
Old 03-13-2008, 06:15 PM
TECH Addict

the .200" - .400" numbers are pretty important i think acording to the men that know their stuff.
quench is the distance from the top of the piston to the bottom of the deck of the head.something in the low to mid .03x range seems to work great so an .040" gasket with a 63 or 64cc chamber should be a strong, efficient combo.

Last edited by slow trap; 03-13-2008 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by litle88
Jonas do you think that you might be overlooking the Trickflows?
If you want the power under the curve and raise the torque, wouldn't that make the CNC-ported heads with 13.5 degree valve angles, decreased valve shrouding, increased mid-lift airflow, relocated spark plugs, improved rocker arm-to-valve cover clearance be what your looking for? Just my .02 cents and nothing against the AFR folks!
Zeke, i know nothing about Trickflow heads.. Honestly what you said i had no idea what you were saying. I have a lot of reading to do about heads.....
Old 03-13-2008, 06:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by slow trap
the .200" - .400" numbers are pretty important i think acording to the men that know their stuff.
quench is the distance from the top of the piston to the bottom of the deck of the head.something in the low to mid .03x range seems to work great so an .040" gasket with a 63 or 64cc chamber should be a strong, efficient combo.
Is there a diagram that shows numbers and what not?
Old 03-14-2008, 05:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

TORCHD 02 TA:

I'll stick my neck out here as the heads I chose lack the general popularity and marketing of many other cylinder heads.

So far, I have had very good results from the PRC Terminator Heads. The heads are 62cc (unmilled), and 200cc runners. It's easy to get a reasonably size cam in there with no milling, and with 200cc runners and with a ~11.0:1 compression, I have had no problem maintaining a HP/TQ curve that comes on early and maintains 400+HP/400+TQ through a significant portion of the power curve.

I.E. 385TQ at 3000rpm's , 415TQ at 4800rpms, and a slowly falling HP/TQ curve that gradually falls to 365TQ at 6300rpm's. And with fairly reasonable track times & traps speeds for being at 6000 feet.

I'm always been somewhat perplexed that Terminator heads lack the aggressive marketing of other head manufactures. Maybe I just lucked out, but I wouldn't necessarily equate their lack of popularity to being an inferior head.

Yes, there have been some prior issues with matching the FAST 90/90 to these heads, but I believe these issues have been resolved.

Theres is no doubt that AFR's and many new cylinder heads have been produced in the last few years that likewise have produced phenomenal results not only in top end HP, but also have very respectable TQ numbers throughout the power curve.

Not wanting to start a "war" on one head being better than another. Just giving you another educated opinion on another option.

I think the bottom line for TQ is to maximize your cylinder pressure to the maximum point possible without detonation raising it's ugly head.

Many ways to go at it, but I thought I would respectfully share my favorable experience with a small runner head with has proven to be a blast to drive both on the street and the track.

Let us know how it goes. And as always, good luck with your project. WeathermanShawn..
Old 03-14-2008, 05:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

^^^^ I will need to read this later when i have time
Old 03-14-2008, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

TRMIN8R made something like 490/422 with the terminator heads. They sound like a good choice and the price is right.