Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 Help please

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 06:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS6 Help please

Ok well heres the story my cousin is looking to convert his v6 camaro over to a v8. Its a 98 t-top v6 very clean car. Now i found him a 2001 LS6 from a vett my question is how hard would the conversion be the engine needs the fuel system and transmission other then that its complete what mounts would i need what transmission would we need to get and a fuel system were on a budget and we want to see what kind of work is involved and if its worth picking up the LS6. thanks

Tommy
Old 03-19-2008, 04:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

If you want my opinion, better sell the V6 since it is a clean car and then buy a V8 car.
Lots of things are different from V6 to V8, not just the fuel but also suspension, gears, sways, cooling etc..... Unlss you are doing a drag stripper, better get a V8 rom the start.
BTW, I've done this conversion before, so I'm speaking from experience.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:46 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the honest oppinion. so later on down the road would it be worth it to swap the ls1 with the ls6 im new with the chevy engines either that or i was trying to convince him to let me put his dads 70 GTO back together
Old 03-19-2008, 03:15 PM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

put the LS6 in the Goat IMO... mod your LS1.... unless you have extremely high mileage, then I'd do the LS6 in your car, and rebuild the LS1 for the GTO...
Old 03-19-2008, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Predator Z speaks the truth, as always. This conversion is not worth it, unless you just want the satisfaction of saying that you did it.

That said, put the LS6 in your car, and sell the LS1 to offset the cost of the LS6. Just a thought.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:10 PM
Teching In

well im not going to jump to any conclusions here i would love to see my cousin dictch his little V6 however going over the costs its definatly not worth it especialy since he is on a budget. i was talking with him today and i think we are going through with the restoration of the goat its got a beefed up 400 so it should haul especially when i get through with it and hes going to keep the camaro as a daily driver.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 450hp plus pontiac 400 in my car to begin with. They are EXTREMLY torquey but they just dont compare to the LS1. First off the Pontiac 400 weighs about 760-780lbs. The ls1 weighs about 400lbs. When i had my Pontiac 400 in my bird i had to lift the front end up almost an inch to get my floor jack under the k member. Now i have 4" between the k member and the top of the jack. I say stick the ls1 in the GTO at minimun lol.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:18 AM
Teching In

I'm doing this swap now, as many will tell you it is easier just to get the V8 car, but if you're stubborn like me with a nice v6 car and a dirt cheap ls1...

Front K-member, the more complete the better, unless you want to try welding the ls1 engine stands to your stock v6 K-member, the geometry and getting it all lined up correctly will suck. v6 sway bar and springs, rack, suspension, all will work, and by work I mean bolt up to be able to drive, but the v8's had diff spring rates, steering ratios and sway bar diameter.

If your v6 is electronic throttle like mine you'll need a set of pedals and an accel cable, and v8 cruise control module and cable. (my car has no Trac control).

gage cluster

fuel pump

exhuast

air lid, bellows.

p/s and rad hoses.

alot of research, wiring, and some fuel line plumbing.

I'm using the v6 driveshaft, torque tube, rear crossmember and tranny mount.

If at all possible use a engine compartment wiring harness that matches the year of the wiring harness on your motor.

Invest in a set of GM service manuals for the year you end up building....

Putting anything from 1998 into the equation adds alot more trouble to your project.

Brandon